HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 10:45:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  This doe is driving me crazy
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: This doe is driving me crazy  (Read 3425 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »

I was treating her with Penn, just in case. I lost her tonight. Between not eating and the cold, she just laid down and died. Nothing worked on her. Her rumen would start but was sluggish, then stop again. Even a fresh cud did nothing for it. Penn, B complex, probiotics, baking soda, molasses, cud/poop, beer, CD anti toxin, Milk of Magnesia, the list goes on. If it hadn't been -27 last night, maybe she could have hung on longer so I could really get that rumen cooking, but she just couldn't do it.

RIP Battle Axe.  Cry Cry Cry Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:19:30 AM »

Oh no!!  Cry Cry  That's so awful...I'm so sorry to hear this.  You did absolutely every thing you could have done for her and even more than any Vet could have done, other than IV fluids.  She just was so sick, that she couldn't battle the cold and life too.  Bless her baby heart.  I'm so sorry for your loss Deb.  (((((((((hugs))))))))))

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 08:29:22 AM »

Oh no. I'm so very sorry for you.  You did absolutely everything to keep her going.  My heart hurts for you.    Cry

Elizabeth
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »

Thanks. She didn't really need IV fluids because she did drink, no dehydration at all. No fever, temp was normal right to the last day when her body started shutting down.  Not sure how many kids she was carrying, but they are gone also. I have her 1 daughter from last year, the premie who I didn't think would live. She is a tank, just like her mom was, and even has her moms personality.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »

In this situation, a autopsy would be my direction...I'd have to know what the heck happened to her.  I know they are expensive...but gosh, without knowing, and owning her daughter, it might be a receipt for following in her mothers footsteps.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:26 AM »

I think I know what started it. I think I posted about the jail break I came home to one night last week (or the week before)? Since Rhu was queen Battle Axe and a piggy on top of that, I think she found some grain that had been spilled under the milk stand that the chickens did not clean up. It's damp under there, therefore it no doubt molded. She was huge when I got home that night, but it wasn't bloat it was a days worth of hay for all the goats and horses so when she didn't eat her supper or breakfast the next morning I didn't think anything of it. She did start eating again, but not with the gusto she usually has. But then, she was a little over 3 months along and always had quads, so her gut was starting to get full of kids and birth fluids.  I think the huge amount of hay she ate diluted the immediate symptom and reaction to the moldy grain, so it didn't really show up until she got stressed from the warm weather that became arctic cold within a few hours. She was holding her own and fighting off the bad bacteria until that blistering cold hit. She couldn't deal with both.

Rhu also came to me with CAE, which didn't help either.

There is no vet around here that can or will do a necropsy on a goat.

Her daughter was pulled at birth and raise don pasteurized colostrum and milk, so CAE will not be a problem for her. She does have her mothers personality and piggishness, so that will have to be watched for.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »

oh dear...well that's so sad...I do hope her daughter doesn't do all these things that her mother did.  Worry is not something that's healthy for a goat owner...we all tend to really worry about these goats, and though I miss my Taddy so much, I didn't realize just how much I worried about him until I wasn't worrying about him any more...I don't mean that harshly...I'd take the worry back on to have him back with me, but not his suffering, that kind of suffering killed my heart.  Point is, that kind of worry can really wear you down.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »

Yeah, that worrying does wear a body down.

blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »

So sorry for your loss dragon.

Central Ohio
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: