HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Caprine Health and Information (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Rubbing butt on fence
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Rubbing butt on fence  (Read 2110 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: February 23, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »

Ok a few of them are rubbing their butts on fence. Is this a sign of worm load? If so what kind?
One of them is due in a few weeks, one of them not at all.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »

Pin worms, lice, dry skin or just hey, our hair is shedding and we're itchy!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »

My mare does that when her udder is itchy, but my goats do the full body rub , which stretches out even the best fencing.  Are their gums or eye area overly pale??
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »

Dragon you pretty much summed it up. Does Ivermectin 1% get pinworms? I threw away the insert.
Julie eyelids are pretty good, could be a little darker. Ah yes the Full Body Rub. Why we have 2x4s about a third of the way up. Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:29:25 AM »

Pin, round, hook and tape worms are best killed off with safeguard or panacur..dosing 1cc per 10lbs of body weight once daily for 5 days.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »

Thanks Pam!
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »

Now that you mention it, my NG/fainter wethers have a wonderfully soft, fluffy undercoat that's beginning to itch a little and which looks matted and tangled,  A few strokes of the brush fills it up, and I'm reluctant to take too much now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good undercoat remover for when spring comes?  No rush, we're for in some  more snow tonight
Thanks,
Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:11:02 AM »

I use my under coat rake that I use on my dogs..but typically I let them shed out by rubbing down the fence line..the birds will gather that and make nests out of it. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »

I use a rubber curry brush made for horses. The goats and horses share the curry! Those rubber hand mitts they make for dogs and horses works well too.

The shed out wool from the horses, goats, and especially the dogs, gets spread outside for the birds. All the nests around my house are lined with soft dog wool and woven with horse hair! Smiley

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: