HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:14:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Change in direction
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Change in direction  (Read 2317 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: March 21, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »

For a few years now I have been kicking around the idea of downsizing. I love my dairy goats. However, my place is small and the prices of feed keep going up. I have been thinking of going with Mini dariy goats, breeding a Nigerian buck to the standard does. These 2 new does I got who are stunted sort of sealed the deal.

I emailed a woman who I bought all my Nigerians from several years ago. She buys only the best from all over the country and before she moved up here many years ago, her goats did awesome on the show circuit as well as in the pail. She has a gorgeous buckling that she wasn't sure she was going to sell or retain. She emailed me today sayi9ng that she has decioded to sell him to me!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This little guy is a broken buckskin, polled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His dam has an udder to die for. His sires female family are the same. The picture I have of him shows a kid who knows he is gorgeous and was born to be a breeding buck.

I'll post a pic when I get home. I am sooo excited!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:07:40 PM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »

Awesome news dragon! I do love my Nigi's. Can't wait to see pictures of your new buck.

Central Ohio
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:33:52 AM »

Now that is just awesome....looking forward to seeing pictures.

I don't think there's a nigi out there that doesn't have that "look" of awesomeness.  They are all such adorable cutie pies.

I do so love the mini goats. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »

I am so excited for you.  I am partial to Nigerians of course!  Bet he is gorgeous!

Elizabeth
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »

He is. I am going to see him this week. The quality of Melonies goats is incredible and she is very picky about who buys her goats. I can't wait to see what he sires for kids next year. I will have Mini Manchas and Mini Nubians. I may even breed him to my Oberhasli for Oberian kids.

I may have to have my Nubian buck PTS this fall. He was supposed to be CAE-, but something happened att he breeders, a doe that was supposed to be - turned up + and he was infected as a kid. His is now symptomatic, painful knees and off and on pneumonia that does not respond to medication. This is what finally tipped the scales for me to go to Mini's. I have 3 Nubian does who are on the small side of normal plus an Alpine who I suspect has some Nubian in her since her ears are longer than normal. She is one of the new ones and tiny.

This buck should help strengthen my herd where they are weak. It's a big step (for me) but I think downsizing is the way to go.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »

Upgrade & downsize great way to go!
That's way cool that she is picky about who buys her stock, congrats, can hardly wiat to see him!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:51:45 AM »

it is a tough call to make...especially if you decide to keep Doelings from him...you'd have to find another Nigi buck...I foresee this as a good step in your life Deb...I don't think you'll regret it at all.

I just hate to hear that about your Nubian buck...this is sickening to hear let alone be living it.  I tell ya, after going through years of issues with Taddy (though he wasn't CAE..his was from the injuries of that fight), I can sympathize with you on that heart wrenching pain that they go through.  The only good thing of all this is that I know Taddy isn't suffering any more.  I can't handle the suffering, and neither could Taddy.  Makes me go to tears thinking about what you're going through with him.   Cry Cry

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »

You know, you will know when and if it is right when you see them your heart will know what to do.  Sounds like you are going to be having some new goats coming. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:54 PM »

The sad thing with CAE, is there is nothing that can help the arthritis except pain killers. The MSM, glucosamine and such have no effect on them.

bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »

I tried all that stuff on Molly too and nothing helped, or if it did, not for long.  Banamine helped her the most, but couldn't expect her to live on it forever.  Putting her down was the humane thing to do and more important, she let me know it was time.  I am excited to hear about you going with mini's.  I started with mini nubians, then went to Nigerians, then to the standard breeds.  I found the minis didn't have as many issues with kidding as I have had with the standards.  My friend raises registered, polled, blue eyed nigerians, if I were to keep one for breeding I would go to the expense of buying one of hers, but for 3 goats it isn't worth keeping a buck around. Glad you have your herd all lined up...sounds like there will be a lot of fun at your house this summer.  Be careful...those nigi's are jumpers!!

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 07:17:44 PM »

I used  to raise Nigies, so I know what little escape artists they are!

So, it's official, the buckling is mine. His name is Reckless. He just screams BUCK! His dam milks a quart twice a day, awesome for such a tiny girl!

This is him at about a week old. He is almost 8 weeks old now and is solid as a rock, wide and level. Only thing missing is the blue eyes, but I can get a blue eyed, moon spotted polled buck next year!

Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:25 PM »

What a handsome boy!  He's absolutely, flat-out, no question about it, gorgeous!  You've made a great choice...downsizing is a great idea, and while you'll still get more milk than you can use, you'll have that Nigi personality throughout your herd.  My wethers are only half Nigi, but are the sweetest funniest, goats ever made. Love that personalty -- and mine don't jump.  Probably because they're too fat, or possibly because of their half-fainter bloodline.

Please post updated, regular pictures of Reckless.  Love the looks of this guy, and am going to need a regular fix!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 04:08:18 AM »

Awww....he is a champ for sure.  Love, love, love that coloring and markings.  As Pat said, we're gonna need lots of updates and pictures of this little man.  He's a dream boat!!!  kiss

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »

Oh My! He is a handsome fella for sure. I'm with Pat and Birdie, need lots of updates. My nigi's aren't jumpers either. The only time they escape is when someone forgets to latch the gate.  Roll Eyes

Central Ohio
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »

I think he makes me want to buy a nigerian doe and get started!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: