HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Change in direction
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Change in direction  (Read 2318 times)
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »

Look at that face.  He knows he is adorable doesn't he?

Congratulations. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »

So, another change of plans. The breeder kept Reckless for a while to breed a couple of her does. Now she is asking if we could swap bucks that I get from her, Reckless for one called Volt.

This lady has top quality animals, so any animals she sells as breeding stock are quality animals with a capitol Q. I am going to be taking Volt, a 3 year old moon spotted, blue eyed proven udder buck and then, still getting Reckless when she is done with his services. Or at least I will have 1st option of buying him then. Volt is not polled like Reckless, but boy, the udders in his family as just as good as Reckless and I will get blue eyes. I love blue eyes. Moon spots will be a plus also, as a goat with moon spots will sell up here like wildfire. People will go for spots, and not flinch at an inflated price, even if the goat has all sorts of horrible genetics. That's pretty sad for the goat world, but it happens in all sorts of things.

I'll get a pic of him and post it. His daddy is breathtakingly gorgeous and wildly colored. He was sold to a farm who shows and the sire and siblings to Volt are doing very well in shows, as well as the milk pail.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 05:47:24 AM »

that sounds like a decent offer.

I understand about the moon spots selling well...around here, color sells a kid, no matter the breeding or the genetic lineage...they fetch top dollar no matter what...add blue eyes to that, and the price soars.  I personally really like that combination myself, but I'll go with genetics over all every time...but if I can get the color and the blue eyes...yep I'll do that too if it's not totally crazy.  But hey, ya only live once!!  Gotta keep some "goat Crazy" in there some where huh?  laugh

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »

Now she has decided to sell both the buckling I originally was buying and the proven  blue eyed, moon spotted buck.

As for quality, these guys are pretty equal. I guess what is going to be the tie breaker is the price.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:24:20 PM »

Talk about confusing!!!!!

Ok, I have settled on the mature buck. The little guy, Reckless, is hard to keep in a fence. He has learned how to climb to get in with the does. I don't need that. While Volt is $200.00 more expensive, he is proven (show ring AND bucket) and stays in the fence. He also has better genetics and the udders in his close family are to die for. It also helps that he has blue eyes and moon spots. That sure helps in the sales department. I sold my Nubian buck so I could afford him. The Nubian was so big and tall, I was afraid he was going to injure my does, as they were all on the small side of normal. I am keeping his son from a smaller dam, so he should be smaller than his sire.

Now, here is the confusing, monkey wrench in the spokes part-

Remember a couple of months ago I took in 2 CAE+ yearling does so they wouldn't be PTS? Well, I got an instant message on FB from someone I don't know, She has a herd of Nubians and Manchas, all were supposed to be CAE-. Well something happened and 4 were found to be CAE+. This girl has a show herd. She tests DHIA, does the Linear Appraisals thru ADGA and is serious about her herd. Because she advertises a CAE/disease free tested herd, she had to get rid of 4 does to avoid the possibility of transfer. She asked if I wanted them. Well, sure, i said, why not? I hate to see animals PTS because they have CAE.

They arrived yesterday. Can you say WOWZA???? These girls are awesome. All 4 comes from top of the line herds. She paid close to $4000.00 total for the 4 of them as newborn bottle kids. 3 Nubs and 1 Mancha.

So much for "going out" of Nubians! laugh tongue Wink

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:13 AM »

Now wait a minute...I'm so sorry but something isn't right about these 4 Does....this gal paid $1000 a piece for "bottle baby" Doelings?  Note the word "bottle baby".  If she bottle raised those Doelings with milk processed the way you do it, then how in the world did these 4 does come up CAE positive.  Unless, I'm totally confused here...which I don't really think I am...or maybe I read this wrong...which could very well be the issue...you won't have a goat with CAE if it's a bottle raised baby, either on pasteurized goat milk, or cows milk, or other selective milk alternatives. 

But you're right, as long as the goat isn't suffering from CAE, then I see no need to put them down.  And may I highly suggest the Stay Sound from Jeffers...that stuff is pure awesome.  I can't tell you how much it helped Taddy with his arthritis.  It's not at all that expensive either...I sure paid a whole lot more for other products that worked for a short while, but didn't last long. 

I'm so happy you've got some nice Does.  I'm sure you'll enjoy them immensely.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »

Unfortunately, the oldest doe she got as a coming yearling. She was CAE+. The girl took the breeders word that she was CAE-. That doe had been bottle fed, but the milk/colostrum somehow got contaminated or the kid managed to get a few sucks in before she was pulled. Anyway....

The girl I got them from pooled the milk from her herd for the 3 bottle kids she bought. The above doe was one of the milkers who contributed. She tested her herd this past spring for pregnancy and CAE, since it had been 2 years since she had tested. Her entire herd tested negative, except for these 4. She was totally crushed. They were retested, but the results did not change. She was going to have the PTS to protect the rest of her herd until she saw my post. She contacted me and asked if I was interested in taking them. I said sure, not knowing their bloodlines or even seeing them.

My herd is 50/50 CAE+/CAE-. I have taken 2 former herds and gone from + to negative, so I am not really afraid of it. I will do it again! The herd I lost in the fire were all -. CAE prevention is just now becoming important in this state, however the majority still don't care because they believe that all goats have it and it's no big deal. Yeah, watch adults suffer form the rock hard udders and swollen knees and the newborn kids have seizures. No thank you. I will work to free my herd from it. My CAE+'s will stay here until they die, but they will be replaced with the kids that have been raised to be CAE free. By the time I am 70, my herd should be 100% free! lol.

I'll tell you, when I saw these girls get off the trailer, I about died. Classy girls! I was even deciding which one to breed to an outside buck to get a junior buck from, that's how good they are. Then, I sat down and read their pedigrees. I about wet myself, i was so excited. I tried to explain my excitement to family and friends, but they just don't get it. To most people, goats are just goats.

The girl I got them from asked to remain anonymous, so I will not tell anyone where I got the does or how I came to get them, but I will always be so grateful to her. She was especially upset about the Mancha doe. I offered to give her a doe kid next year from that doe and my buck, pulled at birth, of course.

Until I searched the farm site where these kids came from originally, I didn't realize just how expensive they were. Then I was the kidding schedule and price for the kids that was posted. OMG. Talk about gorgeous, quality does with incredible bloodlines. Wow.

Unfortunately, arthritis products do not work on CAE any more than they work on a human with Rheumatoid arthritis. The arthritis is not caused by wear and tear or injury, its viral or immune system. The supplements do nothing for that, only NSAIDS or steroids work for those.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:42:44 AM by dragonlair » Logged

dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »

So, remember those 2 tiny does I got this past spring that started my "home for CAE+ does?" Well, the former owner sent me the paperwork I need to get the doeling that was the result of an oops breeding (Raebelle) on one of the CAE+ does registered as 50% American Nubian. When I was there picking them up, it was darkish and I didn't get to really see her bucks. She did say her bucks were well bred, but didn't mention bloodlines or anything.

Included with the service memo was a copy of the Nubian bucks papers. OMG. The sire of my doeling is a Hoanbu buck! Hoanbu and Jesta Farm breeding. These are 2 of the biggest names in Nubians in the US. Wow.

I have been watching Ms Raebelle grow more and more correct every day. I was curious about dad, because while mom is not a bad looking doe, she is not show quality whereas Ms Raebelle is growing to be. Now I know!!!!

For someone who was going to get out of Nubians last year (I sold all but 2 of my Nubians last year) I have suddenly a small herd of them that have some of the best bloodlines in the country! And I didn't even know it when I got them! Talk about being blessed. Wow, have I ever.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 05:43:51 AM »

Wow!!!  That's impressive!  Who'da thought!!!  Yep, a true blessing...they usually come when we least expect them Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

So, you will breed these girls and bottle the kids?  She couldn't do this because she is classified CAE free?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »

Yup. Next year all my doelings wil be pulled and bottle fed. The bucks from the 4 does I got from that girl will be pulled and bottled also because they are potential herd sire material.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: