HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Brandy Wine Bird--updated..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: Brandy Wine Bird--updated..  (Read 3517 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »

"Feed Me"  Grin
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »

You're hiding your excitement well. NOT! lol

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »

Will she be living with the goats or is she going to become your 3rd house dog??   Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 06:03:09 AM »

Julie, she is going to become the icon of Grand Paws Canine Training.  Smiley  That's the name I gave my Canine Training business.  She will be a 3rd house dog for us as well, but she will travel with me to the clinic for training sessions.  She will start in the Puppy Socialization classes but I will be working with her as far as basic training, and when she's ready we'll work on Advanced Basic Training, so that she'll be ready to be my "example" dog for my classes.  Hopefully in due time, and as she gets older, she will help me with one of my Behavioral Modification Classes--called "Dog Aggressive"---I have a class where I need a good dog that absolutely shows no interest in another dog who's barking or growling at it--that way I can use Brandy Wine on the outside of the fence, walking along side the dog who needs behavior modification, and be in control of the situation...I won't force this on Brandy Wine, because that takes a Dog that's something very special--if she shows she's that special dog, then I'll train her for that, but if she doesn't, that's ok, she's got enough work to do. Smiley She'll be a companion that goes with me to places that allows dogs inside (such as Tractor supply, Lowes, Home Depot, Pet Smart, PetCo, and Pet Sense).  Eventually She'll wear a banner that says my business name on the side of it.  I have high hopes for this girl.  When I selected her, (well should I say she selected me), within just a few minutes of meeting her, I had her sitting, laying down, and coming on command, and she really isn't handled a lot by humans.  So, I thought this pup would make a great personalized pet.  The actual puppy I went there to seek getting, was a pup that looked just like Samson.  But when she was brought to me, that puppy wanted nothing at all to do with me, she wanted back with the goats and her mother (who is an awesome goat guardian dog--would have loved nothing more than to bite me while I was there--stood her distance between me and her goats, and never budge her authority over the fact I was invading her territory and her goats), and totally ignored any of my touches or sweet talk.  So, I could see she didn't want my kind of life...she would make a better LGD, and that's what these pups were being sold for, was LGD's.  He actually only had 2 puppies that were more human friendly...the other 7 wanted nothing to do with any type of human contact and stayed out with the goats and their siblings. 

Since we now have the dogs back yard fenced, it in cases the front and side halves of the goats fence line.  The dogs are spending more and more time outdoors, and enjoying their swimming pool, the water sprinkler, and the company of the goats, but it's so hot here, that I limit that kind of play and time outdoors from early morning, no mid day romps like that, and late afternoons.  The goats think they are very NUTS for loving any thing to do with water, except the occasional drink of it to quench a thirst.  The water balls the dogs have, I had to take away from Sasha, as she played so hard and so much with them, she caused her nose to bleed, but while Brandy Wine is in the yard alone (typically for training), I'll give her the balls to play with.  The goats will be nothing new to Brandy Wine.  She's in with a whole bunch of 6 month old weanling Bucklings and they're all white (Kiko's of course), so my goats won't look any different to her at all. Grin

Tomorrow is the big day.  Today, I am setting up the wire crate and getting the travel crate ready to go.  After I pick her up, she will go inside the clinic to have a good health check up, de-flea'd/de-ticked if needed, and micro chipped, while I'm in a Private training session.  After we're finished with the training session, she will come home to see her new brother and sister. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

I admire you for actually choosing a dog that looks right for your intended purposes.  So many people would have taken the dog they came for with no thought at all about how she would rather be with livestock -- not people.  Then have a life filled with misery for both themselves and the dog because they are not a match.  One of our current dogs picked me too.  I went to the shelter looking to see if they had any pups.  As I went down the row I saw a mulit-colored ball of fur. Our eyes locked and I could feel something pass between us.

It was my daughters choice to get the next dog and it looked like she wanted a different one, so I chose for her Grin  This dog is great with the livestock, my constant companion and the smartest dog we have ever had. I swear she can read my mind!!   She is 8 now and a Border Collie, Australian Shepherd,Blue Heeler mix. Her name is Tess, this picture was taken on a camping vacation several years back ( she is not normally restrained).

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:06:30 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »

that is one really pretty dog!!!  She has a gentle sweet soul about her doesn't she?  I can see that in her eyes.  She just looks happy all the way around.  Typically what we found out back home on the farm, was crossing of the working herd dogs never made good work dogs...such as we tried the border mixed with the blue heeler and it was just awful...dog didn't want to work for nothing...so we tried the border mixed with the Aussie and again, it didn't work out...but you tell me your tri mix is good with the livestock...maybe that's where we went wrong?  Maybe we should have done a 3rd cross?  Something to think about down the way huh?

You're so right, when an animal selects you, you know you're bonded in your souls..it's awesome for sure. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »

Well, as far as her skills go,  she thinks she is helping Roll Eyes Roll Eyes     She does best with the goats by guarding the gate where I go in and out at feeding.  She keeps them in so I don't have to tie the gate a million times.  She is gentle/ non aggressive/ around our horses, cow, goats , sheep ( when we had them) chickens.   If we had done training I am not sure if she would have had the herding instincts or not. But she does good for what we need.

We are her people and she does not like strangers. When we used to camp people always wanted to pet her, but we didn't let them because they get too close and she barks and growls.  Her face has everyone fooled!!

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

The one thing I'm finding in the training sessions (had one dog that came in, a 6yr old) that had bitten a man coming into the fenced yard gate.  A man uninvited, a strange man that the dog had never met before, yet he was a friend of the owners Grandson (an adult and a police officer no less) that was coming to see her.  Well the strange man was the first to attempt the gate, and when he reached over the gate to open it, the dog grabbed him in the hand.  Now, to me this was not the dogs fault..he was protecting his elderly owner, as well as his territory and the adult (police officer) should have known better than to allow the stranger to enter the gate before him...some people have no common sense  Roll Eyes , but with this, the owner was charged, the dog was quarantined for rabies, and the owner had to pay all liability on the dog (which to me was ridiculous as that man trespassed on her property without permission to do so), but at any rate, she brought the dog to me, to help her with training him.  Now this dog, the owner told me, that she was afraid he was going to bite me...so I asked her to stay inside the clinic and I walked around her truck, and talked to the dog, and he showed me no aggression what so ever.  So we took him in, and again, no aggression at all.  So the owner figured it was aggression towards men themselves.  I had worked with this dog for 5 wks, and he showed no aggression at all.  There was another owner of two puppies that came out to us while I was working along side the owner/dog, and needed to talk to me about training his shepherd puppies..now this dog was suppose to be aggressive, yet, while we were standing there talking to the man about training the puppies, this dog never made a move of alert, concern, or nervousness...so I made the owner aware that we were standing there talking to a strange man, and the dog had shown no concern or aggression at all.  So this tells me that he's one of two things...territorial aggressive or owner protection aggressive.  Either way, the dog was doing what he thought was right for him "home".

There is also the reasoning with these dogs, that they read "bad people", and no matter what you do, they'll never really like those people.  I trust my dogs to tell me if someone is bad or if they are good. If my dog likes the stranger, chances are those are good people and I can trust them.

I feel your baby, is the same way...mostly "owner" protective.  That's not a bad thing.  This is why my Sasha and my Sammy are personal protection trained...they aren't man eaters, and they do except people if I tell them to "be nice", but one command and these dogs are totally different dogs.  With my past dogs, they could read my eyes, and knew when I became concerned long before being given a command...those dogs I truly miss, I trusted them with my life, and protected them with my life as well. 

I think you've got a really good dog there.  I wouldn't attempt to change her in the least.

Now, a Brandy Wine update....she is doing fantastic...Sasha loves her to pieces...Sammy tolerates her, but isn't real enthused with her.  He hasn't shown any type of anger or aggression, but he's not about having his nose bitten from a hyper puppy...actually it's rather cute..he jumps back and leaves and she's hot on that fluffy tail of his.  Grin  I have tons and tons of pictures, as soon as I get them uploaded, I'll share the best ones.  She has had no accidents in the house at all.  Woke up once last night..took her outdoors and she went potty 3 times, and laid down in the grass and was ready to go back to sleep.  I picked her up, brought her in and put her in her crate, and turned off the lights.  She did fine for about 10 minutes and whined again...so I came in and got her, and put her on the livingroom carpet figuring it was gonna be a long night and ya know what?  She laid right down on the carpet, and fell sound asleep...so I left her there and went back to bed and got up at 6:00am and low and behold, there she was, in the same spot I left her in, still sleeping like a little angel.  Took her outdoors and she did both duties, and took off playing with Sasha and Sammy.  So far that's pretty dog gone good for a 7wk old puppy. Smiley 

Her Vet visit went great...she's good and healthy...had her micro chipped and a good bath to get what fleas (didn't see any fleas but did find flea poo) she had off her and gave her a capstar flea pill and we were ready to come home..after my private training classes, I got her and home we came.  It's been so refreshing to have her energy and her spunk in the house.  She's sleeping again now.  She went with me to feed the goats, and played with the other two in the yard until she's just exhausted now. hahaha.  Hope we don't get our nights and days mixed up, but I'm sure it's bound to happen.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

She sounds like a very good girl Smiley  I have never been able to do the crate. I tried once and couldn't do it!  Our last pup ( she is 4 1/2 now) I actually put out next to the goats at night . She hated bedtime .I knew she wanted to stay in with us, but we had new carpet!  Anyways after a week of that we decided to see how she would do inside. I took her potty and you should have seen her face when we went toward the house and not the goats Grin  She ran right to the dog bed in our room and never moved. ALL NIGHT.  We leave our dogs in the house when we are gone and they have never, ever done anything but sleep. No need to crate.

I think being home with them all day does wonders with a pup.  Glad you are enjoying your new girl so. Almost makes me want one  Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »

That's a really good thought Julie...might have to attempt that with pups that aren't responsive to the crate.  I do crate train my dogs...you never know when it's going to be needed.  With the puppies when they come in, they are on puppy food, and they eat all day long, small meals, so our puppies are fed in the crate so that the big dogs do not get their food and puppy can take it's time and relax and eat without fearing the other dogs taking it away from her (which instills food aggression)...so for the next year of her life, she will eat in the crate.  Once she's off puppy food, she will join the others eating out of her own food dish.  I do crate her when I leave, but that will end as soon as she can be trusted not to chew cords.  Usually around 6 months old, I have them house broken (very well) and trustworthy to leave outside the crate.  By 6 months old I have them Obedience trained both on leash and off leash.  So I am hoping for that same advancement out of Brandy.

Yesterday, it was a hot hot day here, miserably hot.  We would take Brandy outdoors with the other two, and right after her business was done she was more than ready to get out of that heat.  She has learned from watching Sasha and Sam, how to open the screen door and let herself back in.  Now I tell ya, that was so funny to watch.  Well after she did it a time or two, I video taped her doing it.  She has been here 2 days and already knows how to come in and out of the door on her own.  Smart Puppy!!  At this point, and the rest of this week, all we'll work on with training is her learning her name.  At 8wks old, I'll start her basic training, off and on all day long.  Every thing we do is a learning experience, and that's what I love so much about Puppies. Smiley  So refreshing to see that light bulb in their little brains turn on when they understand what you're asking...they just seem to smile about it.

Still no accidents in the house (THANK YOU GOD!!!)...last night, she really didn't want to sleep in the crate (which is in the living room, and not in our bedroom)...she isn't real keen on the wood flooring, but loves the area rug in the living room..typically won't leave that area rug...so I thought to myself...she probably wouldn't come off of the dog bed (which is an old King size mattress pad that we had, that I made a BIG dog bed out of), because she doesn't like the wood flooring (our whole house is wood flooring except the kitchen, bathrooms, and entry ways)...so I took her puppy bed out of the crate, picked her up and took her to our bedroom, and put her in her puppy bed, which I had sat on top of the BIG dog bed, and ya know what?  She didn't move an inch until 2am when she had to go potty.  She did her business, asked to come right back in, took her to our room and put her back in her puppy bad, and off she went, right back to sleep...GOOD PUPPY!!!  She slept the rest of the night through.  I'm real pleased with her progress so far.  I also found out, she loves playing in water...so, it looks like she's going to really enjoy the swimming pool. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »

She sounds like a very smart girl and I can see that you already love her to death.  Our dogs have always had their bed ( an exercise mat with plush cover) in our bedroom on my side of the bed. That way I have all the fun of trying to get past/ through/ over them when I get up at night Grin 

The reason is because they want to be with me Smiley  It sounds like Brandy wants to be with you too.  I think there is nothing like having the love and adoration of a great dog.

I look forward to hearing about her excellence in training as she grows.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 05:11:19 AM »

Julie, it sounds like you experience the same thing we do...finding a foot hold in the middle of the night, without stepping on a dog.   Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 03:02:39 PM »

I have 4 big dogs who share my bed with me. I have to squirm and wiggle my way back into bed at night after I return from the bathroom. The wee hours of the night/morning is the only time I can actually use the throne without the 4 dogs trying to sit on my lap, lick my face, hold my hand or curl up in my pants, that are a tangled heap at my feet. sigh.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:34 AM »

The 26th Brandy turned 8 weeks old.  So I started her training yesterday morning.  I didn't figure we'd get very much past just leash training, as that's pretty traumatizing to a young pup.  Well after about 10 minutes of fit throwings, she finally realized that if that leash got some what tight on her, and she runs to me, she gets a treat and a good scratch behind the ears, so the lesson of "walking on a loose lead" was pretty simple after that.  Well that went over pretty good, and she appeared happy and ready for the new experience.  So, out of mostly curiosity I decided to add the word "sit" to her lesson...that went over very well...so I added the word "down" (which means lay down) and that went over even better..so I ventured out to where I never asked a pup commands like these before at this age and early stage of training and low and behold, I asked her for an "Up", (which means coming to a sitting position from the lay down position), and she did it just dandy, then I asked her for a "stay", and you know what?  She didn't budge an inch and I walked about 10 feet away from her, and immediately asked for a "come", and she immediately responded.

I was so amazed at this pup and the responsiveness to learn.  She was so happy learning.  So I decided to test the little imp...just see how much she retained.  I tested her by taking her off leash.  I asked for all the commands, "come", "sit", "down", "stay", and "heal" and low and behold that little imp nailed every single command on the first request like she had done this stuff all her little life.  Well let me tell you what...after about 30 minutes of working out there with her...she was still going (like the energizer bunny!!), and I decided to end the session. 

Later when hubby got home, that little imp showed off for him like she was the grandest of pro's and she even did it with elegance and pride...such as to say..."Look at me Dad, See how beautiful I am" and she strutted her stuff, and nailed every command again, both on and off leash.  I'm simply amazed with this little girl.  I don't believe I have ever had a puppy come that far, in such a short amount of time, and to really truly absorb and retain that info, that's awesome.

We'll refresh this today, see how well she retained the info...being 8 weeks old, I don't expect her to, so if she does, I'll be totally blown away!!!

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »

Extremely intelligent! Wow!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: