HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Just milked a goat for the first time ever!!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Just milked a goat for the first time ever!!  (Read 1224 times)
Prine farm
Bottle Babies

« on: July 02, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »

Yesterday we got a goat that is in milk, Lady. Lady's owner milked her 4am and 4pm. That is so incredibly early for me. Lol Of course I got up and milked her this morning at 4, but was wondering if/how you can change her milking time to suit our schedule better???
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »

I do it over the course of a few days. You could do 430 and 430 tomorrow, for a day or so, then go to 500 and 500.

Dairy goats are pretty flexible with milking times. My poor girls are never on the same schedule 2 days in a row due to my work and sleep schedule. They get milked somewhere between 0900 and 1130  and then again around 2345 to 0130. They manage this very nicely.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »

What Dragon said, was just going to post the same thing, Smiley
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Prine farm
Bottle Babies

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »

Thanks!! We was wondering if we milk her at 430, than at 8 if we could change her milking time like that??? Didn't know if it would mess with her or not.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »

You mean 0430 and then again at 0800 or 0430 and again at 2000?

If you mean 0430 ane 0800, that would be fine as long as you milked her again 12 or so hours later.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »

Just want to throw this out there, but if you try and milk at 4:30 and then again at 8:00 she will not be full and it may cause problems with her letting her milk down.

Easiest thing is to push the time back by 30 minutes every morning.  I only milk my one goat but I do have cow milking experience. 
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »

I've had to do the short milk times like she asked about before and it worked out fine. You don't get much, but it helps when you need to readjust milk times.

ThiefQueen
Goataholic

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:15 PM »

I've always thought that cows and goats needed a dead on milking time and any variance would cause problems. Maybe I will be able to get one (or at least breed a half.) I'd been hoping to try and get either a nubian or some such for milking especially whenever I have any bottle baby kids but had been leery because of the times I'm in and out with jobs and school. This I might actually be able to do.

Goat herd in training; proceed with caution.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »

with our cows, we did milk at certain times...within a 30 minute period either way of that time was alright.  We did try to keep a good schedule for milking times.  I have milked goats, but that's because they've given singles and one side needed milked.  I milked them during their feeding times...which I am pretty spot on with feeding times...no one had issues, and I consider myself lucky as well as Blessed to have not had any issues...but maybe it's because I kept strict milking times?  Huh?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 06:24:24 PM »

They adapt to odd milking times pretty well. For a commercial dairy you want to milk 12 hours apart or even 8, 8 and 8 exactly, but for home milking, a varied schedule works out fine. I've been doing this odd scheduled milking for 30 years or more and never had a case of mastitis or a problem with them milking.

Prine farm
Bottle Babies

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 05:39:44 AM »

Sorry for disappearing off of here. We moved her 30 min at a time and she adjusted well thanks.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »

Good job!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: