HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 10:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Clumps
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Clumps  (Read 2814 times)
Prine farm
Bottle Babies

« on: July 19, 2015, 05:43:20 AM »

This morning I went out for the 6am milking. Everything was fine then the right teat wasn't having anything coming out. I look down and there is like a stringy clump of milk. I massaged her for a minute but it took a little more pressure to get it out. There were a few before the milk came out fine. What could be causing this? Her stool is also coming out in clumps instead of the balls. Seams when we give her hay this happens. So I'm guessing we need to stop that. Is her milk OK to drink? Is she OK? Is this normal? Thanks!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

Clumpy milk is usually a sign of mastitis. You need to test for it.

Do you have any Dawn dish detergent? If so, spray some fresh milk into the palm of your hand or a saucer or something shallow. Add a few drops of Dawn. If the milk coagulates, there's a very good chance it is mastitis. If so, she will need to be infused with mastitis treatment in the side that has it. IM penicillin will help give the infusion a boost..

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Prine farm
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »

Thank you.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »

If you just started giving this particular hay it could be the culprit for the clumpy poo. Has she kidded recently?
She may also have a congested udder. If the test does not indicate mastitis she may have congested udder. For this I do hot compresses with a little peppermint oil & massage vigorously several times a day, milking a few times each treatment.
Today infused in the affected side for 2-3 days also helps.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:24:26 AM »

Clumpy poo may be due to the change in feed or hay or even grass/forage lands that she's grazing on.

However, with that said, clumpy poo can be due to worms as well.  When was she last wormed and with what wormer?

Hay is very important to goats to help keep the rumen functioning properly.  I don't think I'd remove her hay, but if it's been changed, I'd go back to what you were giving before giving the new hay.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »

Are you milking on schedule every day ( 12 hrs apart)?  You can run into issues when you are not consistent and she is allowed to get over full.  If you just had a few clots you may be able to clear it up by milking several more times a day ( for several days until everything is back to normal).

Any new introduction to food will cause a change in poop. Fresh grass and browse especially after a winter with hay only.  I would mix the new and old hay when feeding and it should resolve itself when her gut gets adjusted. I wouldn't keep the hay from her she needs it available.  Do you keep baking soda out?  That will help with any tummy issues also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: