HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Does color matter in the Showring?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Does color matter in the Showring?  (Read 4265 times)
beginnergoater
Bottle Babies

« on: July 21, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

As birdie already knows (he's helped me already),  I am in the hunt for a couple of commercial does, and a nice "show-style" doe.  My question is- do judges dock for solid red or black goats?  Basically anything from the normal red paint.  I love the look of both the black paints, and the solid red.  Obviously that's a person preference, but i show dairy cattle also.  And about %20 of a judges scoring of a heifer or cow is "dairy character"  Part of dairy character includes coloring.  And my uncle and dad always told me that a solid black cow will always beat a white or speckled heifer or cow if it's a close placing.  I don't want to buy a black or solid colored goat if it's going to hurt me in the showring.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »

Another beginner here, but won't your color choices depend upon whether you are raising exclusively show goats or meat goats for slaughter?  Don't know if color matters to those ethnic groups who want goats without blemish, or if that's the market you're targeting.  Lots to think about! 

Best of luck, and welcome to Goat Beat!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:19:37 AM »

You're selection is the Boer, is that correct?

The breeders of the Boers are also coming up with these "moon spotted" goats.  How they are placing in a show ring is unknown to me.  NancyD is the gal to ask about how "color" places in the show ring.  I don't show my goats, but I have shown Cattle and horses.  I have only ran against selection by color a few times in 30+yrs.  And yes, you are correct, color is a Judges Personal Preference. 

I do know that slaughter houses, sale barns are still prejudice to the traditional marked Boers in our area...so your basic Red Head, red neck and white body is still holding higher prices around our area.  They are acceptant of the black headed Boers as well, but not as much as the red headed.  If you're selling off your farm, I have found that color will sell faster than any other solid or traditional marked Boer.  Folks want color, and color fetches higher prices for sure.

Check with your local 4-H clubs and see what the show ring is demanding.  That might help you make your selection.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

In the Boer shows Ive been to it is structure they are looking for. I have seen both traditionals and  paints in the final line up.
Having said that, my black headed Boer has only been in the ring a few times & no one took a second glance. He was always one of the younger guys in his class but I did notice more bulk on the red or brown headed ones, they simply had more going for them.
In FFA competition his off spring have always done very well, some were black headed & some more traditional.
Color is eye catching. It is also deceiving. They can appear bigger & bulkier than they look.

beginnergoater
Bottle Babies

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:20:43 PM »

Ok thanks for the help, I just really like the look of the black ones but maybe ill just go with the traditional.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »

From what I have seen in the Boer shows around here (judged by ADGA or USBGA judges from "away") they place the traditional colored Boers over the non-traditional colored ones. If 2 goats are equal in body type, the traditional one is the one who gets the ribbon.

From what I have seen, they are getting a bit more accepting of the solid reds and paints and the black headed traditional marked.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: