HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 02:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19842 Posts in 1418 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  To help with the heat, a treat so easy to make...
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: To help with the heat, a treat so easy to make...  (Read 2222 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: July 30, 2015, 06:14:53 AM »

This heat is unbearable for our LGD's.  We need to take precautions for them as well as our goats.  Be mindful to watch over them in this extreme heat.

I was cleaning out the frig, and ran across a box of Beef Broth that I used on a roast 4 day prior.  I didn't want to pitch it out, so I thought...

I would mix a little water with the broth and make them some "beef cubes".  I poured the diluted beef mixture into some empty water bottles, about half full (for Brandy Wine hers was a 1/4th full since she is a puppy).  I let that freeze and took them out of the freezer and cut the bottle away from the froze beef cube and took my dogs outdoors and gave each one a frozen beef cube. 

For over 15 minutes they laid in the shade chewing on this frozen beef cube...hydration and chilling out under the shade tree. 

I thought maybe this might be a good idea for your LGD's...help to keep them cool and hydrated.  Our dogs all love ice cubes and Brandy Wine even loves popsicles...it's fun for them in the swimming pool too...freeze a few bottles and cut the bottle away and toss it into your dogs play pool...they love chasing them and bobbing for them.

Have fun with your puppers and keep those LGD's cooled down.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:47 AM »

What a brilliant idea!
ThiefQueen
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »

I'll make some for my pups! The poor babies have decided on digging a hole to China to escape this heat. The Pyr just hangs up at the house in any corner that the two rescue pups can't find her and annoy her. But I know she'll appreciate something like that.

Goat herd in training; proceed with caution.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »

Even my 2 dogs are suffering.  They only go out when I do and most of the time the short haired one leaves me to go back to be let in! 

Great idea about the Beef Pops.
ilroost
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »

Thats a great idea. gonna try it
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:54:28 AM »

good...I'm happy you find it interesting, and a possible aid in beating the heat.

Ours are still enjoying their frozen treats...but I also found that breaking them up in smaller chunks is the best idea...they don't chew as long on them, but don't have the melted mess on their paws/legs from the beef broth.  So I am only filling the water bottles a 1/3 full.  If you have ice trays those would work great too.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »

I make pupcicles for mine out of broth with a bit of yogurt, peanut butter and mashed banana, They love it.

I make ice cubes in large plastic tubs and plop those in their water buckets.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »

Mine won't drink water with the cubes in it, they fight to get the cubes out and end up spilling the water...OH DEAR WHAT A MESS!!! hahaha.  We make the outdoor water with cubes in it now, but not the inside water.  heehee.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: