HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2017, 04:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihandwcm

Stats
19325 Posts in 1377 Topics by 719 Members
Latest Member: TrishR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Classifieds
| |-+  Goat Related. (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  IBC containers for shelters
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: IBC containers for shelters  (Read 2865 times)
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« on: November 07, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »

Hello, feline guru's, what is your opinion on using the 275 gallon, IBC containers for shelters?   I saw where one farm was cutting out a door(after cleaning well), and using for a shelter.  It looks feasible to do, and to place a mat on the floor, cover with straw, and use a water fixture on top for vent.  I think I will try one, and use for my Kiko buck.  The vent looked like a S shape to keep out the rain.  The used ones are used a lot in my area.  Throw in a bottle of Dawn, dishwasher liquid, rinse out, then place two boxes of baking soda into container, rinse, and viola.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:41 AM »

I'm sorry for my dumb foundedness here...but what's an IBC container?  How big is it?  To give you an idea, our Goat Huts were 4' wide, 7' long, and 4' tall.  That held 3 large breed goats comfortably where they could lay down and not be bunched up.  They would hold 4 large breeds but they tended to fight for space if 4 tried it.  We also used these for birthing huts.  Is the IBC container some where around that size?

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:18 AM »

Hi Pam, the IBC containers are;  intermediate bulk containers.  You can Google for intermediate bulk containers for goats, and see the item.  The 275 gallon size looks about 4x4x4 in size to me.  The drainage valve is in lower back, with an opening/cap on top to fill container.  The guy on internet cuts an opening on side of container, by removing some metal strips, and placing a pad, or spraying some truck bed liner on bottom of container to prevent goats sliding.  I am trying one with pad on bottom, using a bag of cedar shavings on pad, and letting the cut out lid keep rain out of door.  It looks like a good use for kid goats as well.
  There are food used containers, such a honey, different fluids, and can be cleaned out easily for use. It is worth a look, and  not expensive.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »

Thanks for the explanation  did not know what IBCs were either. They sound great, I like the idea better than the huge containers for fertilizer or pesticides that folks get in eastern Wa.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »

It is a win-win decision to me.  You can't build a shelter for $35 to $50 bucks (price here-used), as good as this in my opinion.  You just need a hacksaw to saw the metal braces, clean with Dawn, dishwasher liq. , then use Baking Soda, and rinse.  It is water proof, draft proof, everlasting.  You just need to place something on the plastic floor for traction to stand upon.  The top has a cap, and bottom has a 2 inch drain valve. I take the top, 2 inch plug out for vent.
 I don't believe you can beat the setup.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:01:23 AM »

Sounds awesome.  Are you using them for the bucks?  Make sure to cut that opening whole large enough the bucks can get their horns through it.  One thing I wonder about...where you cut the opening whole, are the edges pretty sharp or splintered?  I would be concerned about them rubbing on that going in and out and scratching off their hair or even causing a sore.  Just a thought to keep in mind.  I have seen these things used for calf huts as well.  Dairy farmers are using them for the bottle calves.  I would think 2 medium sized goats would fit in them and do just fine.  Would be heaven for weanlings for sure.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »

Yes, the cut off ends are filed smooth as can be.  The hole for entry is plenty large for my Kiko's wide horns.
The calf huts are nicely made; however, several times more expensive than the 275 gal IBC container. You can see how nice they are per Google:  The calf huts have an open bottom, and the IBC has a floor that has a drain hole (2 inch), and can be cleaned out.  I think spraying the floor with a truck bed spray will work as well for traction.  One unit will hold several kids.  Worth a look!!  They are not heavy, and can be moved easily.  They set upon a metal base as well.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:56:11 AM »

ease of cleaning, ease of moving, that's my type of hut. Smiley  Where does one go to find these IBC containers?  Where did you find yours?

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »

Pam, many places around here sell them.  I got mine at a salvage place that has the complete unit, or just the steel shell with bars to hold the plastic body inside.  Most feed stores will likely sell them.  You can Google your area for IBC containers.  They come as food quality, or some liquid quality.  I just wash out with Dawn, and Baking Powder.  I would ask what was in the containers; however, you are going to place a goat inside, and not to drink from.  The steel bar frame without the plastic container, makes a great hay feeder, by just using a hacksaw, and cut out a bar on each side to ease the goat getting head out. I cut each side so that a goat could get his head in and out with no problem.  The steel frame is very strong, and light. You can use as a great hay feeder, or a great shelter for goats.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 05:20:41 AM »

Sounds good Charles.  Thanks for all the tips and tricks.  That's pretty awesome. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: