HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2018, 07:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20251 Posts in 1451 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  how can you tell if your buck is too short? also has anyone used a Boer X for 4h
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: how can you tell if your buck is too short? also has anyone used a Boer X for 4h  (Read 1207 times)
Goshen goaties
Bottle Babies

« on: November 12, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »

Hi everyone, I have a question.  My friend has lent me the use of her Boer buckling (9 months old) to breed my dairy girls.  She told me that he had been mounting her goats, but there is a bit of a height discrepancy between him and my alpine/Nubian, and alpine. He seems to be trying to get the job done, at least they seem pretty twiterpated .  Do I just need to wait till next month to find out?  Also have any of you had luck using a Boer cross for 4h?  I've noticed the kids around here have full Boers, but I thought it might be handy if we could use our own kids.  Thanks
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

My kids used some of our 1/2 Boer 1/2 Nubians and showed them in the crossbred classes and did really well. My son also won the grand champion crossbred doe once . If your 4-H has classes like that then I would say use your own kids.  If you have to show against full blooded boers,  then your kids can't really compete or hope to place against them. We were lucky as we had both.  

My daughter showed our hair sheep against the huge wool sheep every year and never placed. She didn't act like it mattered to her, but I know she would have liked to place . Our lambs were just so much smaller.

As to your smaller buck question, It might be you will need to assist him and hand breed if possible when you know the does are in standing heat.  If he just can't reach them on his own, watch and when he is really after them and they are ready, you can hold them still in a lower spot so he is higher up.  I had to do this with a Boar Pig we used one year, worked like a charm Wink
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:26:13 PM by Julie H » Logged
Goshen goaties
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

Thanks for the 4h advise.  I will have to look into the classes we have.  My kids do horse 4h and are starting to take an interest in my goats, so we will have to see how it goes.  As for Mr. Shortey , this being my first time breeding my does, I guess I am just not sure what to look for.  He seems to be mounting fine, but I can't seem to get a close enough look to see if things are matching up.  He is pretty quick, and has been giving it a go pretty frequently today.  Do they usually go pretty quick.. maybe 6 seconds?  Or do they ... Hmm I don't know how to put it hump or thrust their hips when they do it Huh? ?  He kinda just stands up there.  He isn't as tame as I would like him to be, and gets to running around if I get close instead of doing his business.  If he doesn't take, I guess I will have to track down another buck,  but with this being our first experience I was trying to keep cost down and see how it all went.  Thanks for your input  Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »

I used to have Boers along with my dairy girls. I showed them in Boer classes. They did awesomely, always in the ribbons. The only wether I ever showed won 1st place in the market wether class. He was 50/50 Boer/Alpine.

Sometimes you swear the shorted guys don't reach until you see proof a couple of days later. I have used a pallet (with the slats close together to prevent his feet from going through) for young bucks with mature does and this year for my Nigerian buck who is breeding some of my mature standards. The buck stands on the pallet while the doe is backed up to it, but not standing on it. It works slick.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »

Yes, they do thrust. You will know if the breeding was done if the doe humps up her back after the deed is done. If there is no thrusting by the buck or back arching by the doe, then he probably didn't get the job done.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Goshen goaties
Bottle Babies

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »

Ahh! that answers my questions.  If I havn't lost my window,  I will put him on something taller... If I can catch the booger, and then get him to cooperate  Wink.    I don't think I have seen any thrusting or back arching.   Thanks a million for the help Smiley
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »

Dairy crosses do very well!
You might try some sort of platform for him, a pallet or something. A friend started her shorty out that way. it got so when she would bring a doe in he would run to his stage & wait for her. Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 04:51:45 AM »

He's a pretty young buck...9 months old...I wouldn't give him too many girls all at once.  Not only will he wear out, but his sperm count will reduce due to stress and over working.  Not to mention what this is doing to his spine.  He can do the deed no doubt about that, but I wouldn't over work him for sure.  You may find it's not him that's not producing, it's him being wore out.  He can injure his spine servicing too many Does at this young age.

~ Birdie ~
Oregoats
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »

I have Nigerian bucks who manage to breed full size Saanen does.
They have a couple of platforms/blocks in their pasture and it doesn't
take long for them to figure out how to use them. Once in a while
it is necessary to guide a first timer doe to the platform, but when
they are ready, they are ready.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth- Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: