HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Food for thought...
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Food for thought...  (Read 1074 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:20 AM »

Or should I say, the food that causes thoughts.  tongue

I have taken the advise of several folks here in the forum on feeding raw meat.  Only I don't feed a complete raw meat diet. 

Samson as well you all know is my LGD that's our humanized pet and lives indoors with us.  He is now 3 yrs old.  As most of you already know, but some who do not, Samson needs a total hip replacement in both hips.  Samson has seen 5 different Vets from all over the State of LA, to Texas A & M.  There is no doubt Samsons hips are super bad.  Samson was born this way, his hips have a genetic disorder, that also goes down both hind legs, that are also cow hocked and the bones need to be reset and pinned, and then splinted.  Since this surgery only comes with a 50% chance of fixing Sam, and 50% chance that he will be crippled for the rest of his life, and costing over 10,000.00 to do with no guarantees it will work, we have opted to not do the surgery and keep Sam on very high doses of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM (to the magnitude of 1750mg HCI 1000mg Glucosamine, 750mg Chondroitin, 750mgs MSM-- 2 times daily), and at times a steroid to reduce painful inflammation.  We also took the advise of the Vets at Texas A&M and put him on a very high protein diet to keep his muscle tone in good shape to protect those joints.  His protein per meal is around 45 to 50% Protein.  We had him on 37% protein but that wasn't keep his muscle tone from degeneration. 

So here's what happened.  Samson laid out by our humming bird bush and was bitten 7 times (guess it got caught in all his thick hair) by a non poisonous spider.  Twice on his hind leg, and 5 times on his stomach and inside cannon muscle.  I had, had surgery and hadn't paid a lot of attention to Sam for a couple of days after my surgery (due to lots of pain), on Wednesday I noticed Sam really itching his hind quarters and his stomach line.  I look and was devastated at what I saw.  Sams hind leg was swollen and bloody red, with oozing that was stinky and gross.  I washed him off with peroxide and then cool soapy water and rinsed him good.  I saw the bite areas on his hind leg but didn't find the bite areas on his cannon muscle and stomach until the next day when they too ruptured open and oozed that nasty stinky stuff.  That's when I called the Vet. 

I took Sam in and they found all the bite marks on his stomach...Sam was in an awful shape, with hair being cut off and wounds being treated.  They kept my Sammy, due to the extensive bites and the oozing that they needed to test to see what it was.  Well they found it was a non poisonous spider but a spider that Sam is allergic to.  Now, this is a new Vet for us that just got all Sam's records about 2 months ago.  So he went over all Sams records of what prior vets found, and discovered that Sam was on a very high protein diet.  At that time Sam was on Raw Beef Liver with the blood left on it and only heated to room temperature prior to feeding.

It was then that he started treating Sammy, not only for the bites, but for the protein reaction.  Sammy got a shot that lasts in his system for 30 days...he also got a steroid shot to reduce the inflammation and pain.  Now Sammy had to stay in the Vets office that entire day to watch him for reactions to that first shot.  He called me a few hours into watching Sammy and told me what happened.

In his explanation he said that Sam was bitten by a spider that was non-poisonous but Sam was allergic to it, and though the allergy wasn't all that high to the that spider, and he shouldn't have reacted so violently to that spider, he said after reviewing Sams records he found that Sam was on a partial raw meat diet.  He further explained to me that a protein diet as high as what Sam is on, will enhance an allergic reaction. 

So, he explained to me that he wanted me to take Sam off the raw beef liver, and put him on either chicken or Turkey raw meats for 30 days.  Until this spider bites are healed and the antibiotic that he is on is out of his system.

So food for thought, or the foods that causes thoughts...
High protein diets (which is the raw meat diets), will cause allergic reactions to be worse than normal.  So if your animal has allergies or allergic reactions to grass or weeds or what ever, keep your protein level lower, as the higher proteins causes the enhancement of allergic reactions.

My Sam is now doing well...but it's been a battle for at least a month now...Sam looks funny with most of his hair shaved off one hind leg and his stomach.  It'll grow back.  Thank goodness he's doing better because I swear to you, he smelled and looked like his leg and stomach were rotting away. 

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »

Poor Sammy and poor you. Although none of my critters are on a high protein diet this is great information to know. Thank you for sharing.  Smiley

Central Ohio
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »

Oh no poor Sammy Cry  I did not know the connection between high protein & allergic reactions either.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »

What an awful thing to go through! I am glad sam is doing better.  We don't do the high protein either ( except for the occasional gopher consumed)  That is sure good info to have on hand and to pass on to others.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »

Thanks ya'll.  Sammy is a special kind of dog...to know him is to absolutely love him.  He is the gentlest kindest sweetest dog on earth.  Though he is a special needs dog, he gives all he has in his heart to make sure every one around him knows just how much love he has to give.  The day will come, when we have to make that call to end his pain and his suffering from this, but at this point, Sam does ok.  He's in pain, don't get me wrong, some days worse than others, and on those days, I know I need the steroid shot to help him through it.  We can't give him that shot on a regular basis because that medication will ruin his liver, and he would die from the side affects of that shot faster and in a more gruesome way than what he's going through with his hips.  So until then, if we can keep his muscle tone strong and healthy, and manage the cartilage that he has left in his joints and hips, then Sammy could make it a few more years without too much distress and discomfort.  I have watched him slow way down since he turned 3 yrs old.  Mostly lays around every day, but he can still get up and go outdoors and every now and again he'll cut shine and play with the other two.  Sammy rarely runs...it hurts him something awful to run...so if we see him run, it's a grand day for him.  Such a sad thing for us to watch, and it tears out hearts out when we know he hurts so bad.  Sammy will let me know when the time has come to end that pain, but until then, I'll continue to fight for him and keep him as strong as I can. 

I was shocked when the vet said that higher proteins enhances the reaction of allergies.  This is the first time this has ever happened to us, and Sam has been on this high protein diet since he was 4 months old.  Of course Sammy has never been bitten by a spider either.  I did notice that Sammy has reaction to fire ant stings, but those are small reactions and to be honest, I have reaction to them too, they flat HURT!!! Sammy's reaction to the ants was nothing like it was to these spider bites.  I do believe that these bites are going to leave scars.  Though they are scabbed over and are getting smaller, they are deep and yucky looking. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: