HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:08:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  My Nubian buck is a dud!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: My Nubian buck is a dud!  (Read 1866 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: December 28, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »

I have used him to breed 5 does. None of them settled after 4 separate heat cycles. I bred 2 of those does to another buck, both settled. Sigh. He is a gorgeous buck. Level, wide, well bred....but obviously shoots blanks. I had such high hopes for him. So, either I hunt for another Nubian buck who would be a great fit for my herd or I stick to breeding Mini Nubians. Not sure what I want to do at this point.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »

Gaah!! He hasn't had any meds that render him infertile either has he?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:39:01 AM »

Deb did you worm him with Valbazen?  That causes temporary sterility in male goats.  But it shouldn't last long.  The longest we found was 2 weeks.  Was his breeding within that time frame?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

Have you tried running him with the does?   I know on the 2 occasions I tried hand breeding my girls didn't take either.  Just a thought.  How disappointing !
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

No medications. Last deworming (with Cydectin) was in August. Gets minerals, balanced diet, same as the other 2 bucks. His equipment works in that he has a decent testosterone level because boy is he bucky! Both testes are there and hanging like they should. Another doe came in heat today. I bred her to my Lamancha buck because the Nigerian just could reach her and the weather was too bad to mess with the (ice coated)  lift outside.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:21:12 AM »

Well Cydectin doesn't cause sterility for sure.  It could be as Julie said, they need more time for romancing, because I don't see any other issue that could cause his impotence.  He's not a young buck either is he?  Sometimes those young ones shoot blanks for awhile.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »

He's young but he has been breeding these does since October and none have caught. They have all since come in heat again except 1, and she is due to be back in heat if she didn't catch this ocming week. There are only 4 does he has responsible for. The first one I bred to the Nigerian and she settled to him.

Another once came in today. She is the screamer, and she screams for 3 days straight. I want to slit her throat. I bred her to the Nigie.

I keep the does with the bucks the entire time they are in heat(except with the Nigerian), in a seperate stall. One of the does I have bred to him 4 times I hit with cystoelin after breeding to the Nubian buck one last time. Maybe if he has weak swimmers, this might make the eggs release earlier when the swimmers are stronger. If she doesn't settle, he goes to slaughter. It's too bad, as he is gorgeous.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 04:54:47 AM »

Yeah I can understand that...it is a shame...but we'll keep fingers crossed and lots of prayers.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: