HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  It Never Fails
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: It Never Fails  (Read 1073 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: January 10, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »

"Just ignore the dog. Don't look him in the eye or try to talk to him."
Well that lasted for maybe an hour.
They go to the gate & try anyway. Angry
But Dep can speak for himself & threaten to eat through the gate. (evil chuckle)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »

My dogs do not do well being ignored. They go out of their way to make me notice and speak to them!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:27 AM »

Our LGD's, now they were different minded...J-Belle, she would come up, but only for a quick pat on the head and an "at a girl" and then go back to her goats.  Clyde was a hyper boy, he would dance all the way around me, and finally stand still enough to get a good scratch and then follow me while I fed or did what ever I had to do.  Bonnie, she was the distance runner, where ever she was in the pasture, she would see me, and take off running for me.  She would get to me and then lay down...just flat lay down.  You would bend over to give her a pet, and zoom, gone like lightening, run and run and run, then finally come back, lay down and roll on her back for a belly scratch.  Roll Eyes  God forbid that you ever ignored them when they made their approach, they'd knock you down if their routine of greeting was changed in any way shape or form.   Grin Grin

The inside dogs...oh boy yeah buddy, you best not ignore them...hahaha...they get what we call "twisty butt" when we come home...they come up, just as happy as larks, and they get this "rare disease" called "twisty butt", and they twist and twist and twist their hips and butt until a hand finally lands on their heads, backs, and bellies and they are being talked to and loved on first before any one else or you get past the entry way of the house.   Three big dogs doing that in a 15' wide entry way, you'll get knocked down if you don't treat that "twisty butt" to a real good lovin' on.  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »

While not a LGD, our girl Tess is not a friendly dog to strangers.  As she charges out barking wildly I always say, just ignore her and don't try to pet her.  They always try and it makes her bark all the more.........
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:04:26 PM »

I know, it's frustrating isn't it. But they just cant help it.
Last week a few folks came to tarp the barn roof. We put a cattle panel up between the two pens so Dep couldn't jump it.
Bob kind of insisted. I told him since there were no goats in the south pen (where there was roof access) he wouldn't go down there.
Yesterday an additional tarp went up & we didn't put the panel up. Dep stayed with his goats.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:44:28 AM »

While not a LGD, our girl Tess is not a friendly dog to strangers.  As she charges out barking wildly I always say, just ignore her and don't try to pet her.  They always try and it makes her bark all the more.........

Oh no...our LGD's and our House Dogs (2 LGD's and one Shepard), a stranger can not get any where near any of them.  Unless I tell my indoor dogs to "be nice", someone will definitely get bitten, no doubt about that.  The LGD's back home (Bonnie, Clyde and J-Belle), absolutely no stranger could even get through the gate, let alone any where near those goats.  J-Belle was my worst.  She had 3 commands... Come, Out, and Away.  When I needed to take a buyer in to see her goats (typically the babies that were up for sale), I would give her the command "Away", and she would circle, nervously, around and around while the buyers were in her pasture.  That circle would get smaller and smaller, until I would need to give her the command "Out!"... J-Belle was known to bite strangers and the bit was a hard one at that, if she came at you from the front or the back, she was gonna make that bite count. 

Any time I took a stranger in to see my goats, I always told the buyers/strangers "do NOT look my dogs in the eyes, never make eye contact with them."  It's the same with my house dogs.  They are trained to protect, and protect they will...if I don't give them a command to "be nice", then it doesn't matter if I'm there or not, if you advance, you're gonna get bitten. 

Heck most the time, even my friends are afraid to come to the house unannounced.  What tickles me about my dogs is, even if you come and I give them the "be nice" command, and they are playing with you and loving on you, and allowing you to be a part of their pack at that time...IF you leave and come back, it's like they don't know you at all, and you best not come any closer.  Now my grand babies, oh Lord help any one who gets any where near those babies.  These dogs will not let any one in around them, even at bed time...they all go in and lay around their beds, and if you approach that door, they are gonna show teeth.  My Son says to me, while checking on Kylie on night, "Mom, come get your dog!!  She won't let me in Kylies room."  Sasha met my Son at the door way and bared teeth at him.  She wasn't letting anyone but me in to check on Kylie.  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: