HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Top Models (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Rimfire
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Rimfire  (Read 1030 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: January 23, 2016, 11:24:56 PM »

This is day 4. Vet was out, pulled three kids one full term another 4 mo old then the live guy.
All this time she had been squatting a lot long after peeing.
My guts said there were quads but didnt think  to mention it to vet.
Well today as I walked by her pen to check Rose I noticed a glob of what I thought was placenta. It was kid # 4!! A tiny 2 lb something. Sad
Rimmy continues to do well, gets another Biomycin shot tomorrow.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:56:52 AM »

oh that poor girl.  The vet didn't go in and check for another kid before he left?  Huh?  Thank goodness she passed that herself and didn't retain it.  Man what a problem you'd had if she hadn't.  She's been through a lot that poor baby.  I haven't used Biomycin for this before as it's mostly an upper respiratory medication...but it's good she's on a good strong antibiotic.  Probiotic and Bcomplex too?  Huh?

Keep us posted on how she's doing.  Good job tending to her Nancy...it's a good thing she has you for a momma. 

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »

Ladies, how do you tell if another kid is inside the dam?  My last time for kids, my Boer doe had 2 to come in 30 minutes intervals, and I thought I saw the afterbirth, and that was all.  She never seemed to be contracting more; however, the next morning, there lay a 10.1lb kid, that had a twisted front leg that had prevented him coming down the canal.  I did say a prayer for the mom, and I believe that is the only reason she came thru the ordeal.  I did help pull the first two, which were easy.  I am in worry already as my 3 year old Boer doe is showing like at least triplets again.  I will freak out if they do not come at 30 minute intervals as before.   I have never pulled one before, and my wife has had 3 back surgery's, and would love to help the birthing, but can't get to goats.  I let my Boer doe have the kids in my kennel last time, but in January, it is too cold.  It did turn out to be a great place for birthing in cold weather. I am just feeding her
a cupful of Purina Noble, with some Alfalfa pellets, and Sweetlix minerals daily, until another month, and will increase Noble.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »

Charles, your kidding on your Doe will go much faster this time.  She's not a First Freshener no more, so she should be able to spit them right out and have no issues, UNLESS, she has a narrow pelvic, and she'll need assistance each time she kids.

When assistance is given to a Doe in labor, and you've already had to go in and pull a kid, such as in Nancy D's case, you always go back in there and feel for more kids, especially in Nancy D's case where this Doe is prone to have more than twins or trips, and in your Case with your Doe Charles, she's prone for more kids, so she should be checked if you have to assist her in delivery.  You'll know when you reach your hand up in there if there are more kids there, you'll feel them, and when you do, just gently bring them on down, and help her get them out.  Gently...that's the key to the assistance. 

I had a Doe (Moosie was her name--big as a house--Boer Doe), she was not a FF' by no means.  Her first kidding she had a mummified kid and a 15lb kid.  This was her second kidding, and she had twin bucklings.  During the kidding the first kid (much smaller than the 2nd kid) was coming breech and it's head was bent backwards, so I had to go in and reposition it's head, and assist the breech birth, and sling the baby to remove the fluid from it's lungs...gorgeous little fella..nice baby 10.1 pounds.  Then I knew that Doe was way too big to just have a single kid, but I allowed her time to clean the first fella, and even fed the first one, and I noticed she was grunting but not laying down and pushing...so I gloved up again and went back in and sure enough, I was in this Doe to my shoulder, and there he was, a nice fine gorgeous baby boy, huge baby boy, breech as well.  So I gently turned him, and positioned him and started gently pulling him out as she contracted, and there he was...pretty as a picture.  We named the first little fella "Whiskey", and the second baby boy "Gin".  They were dandy baby boys.  And I was so glad I went in and checked her again. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »

oh that poor girl.  The vet didn't go in and check for another kid before he left?  Huh?  Thank goodness she passed that herself and didn't retain it.  Man what a problem you'd had if she hadn't.  She's been through a lot that poor baby.  I haven't used Biomycin for this before as it's mostly an upper respiratory medication...but it's good she's on a good strong antibiotic.  Probiotic and Bcomplex too?  Huh?

Keep us posted on how she's doing.  Good job tending to her Nancy...it's a good thing she has you for a momma. 

She had 2 huge kids and 2 tiny dead ones?  Do you think she was bred a second time by the Buck? She has been through heck alright.  Hope she is getting some much needed rest.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:40:03 PM »

Yes Julie, two big including the live one & two preemies..
Good question about later breedings, it would seem to me though that the later ones would come first?

Charles it has been my experience that ALL kids are born within 30 minutes.
If you are going to have trouble, doe will either have blood tinged goo or full blown bloody goo. She will need assistance because there are dead kid(s).
Anytime doe stops or never begins labor it is time to act quickly. She needs assistance now.
Another scenario is an empty sac presentation at the onset.
Chances are the kid behind that sac is breech.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: