HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:19:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Caprine Health and Information (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Using Cattle Copper Bolus-- Dosing?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Using Cattle Copper Bolus-- Dosing?  (Read 1264 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: February 14, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »

I know this was in another thread and I cannot find it.

I am going to administer the 12.5 g cattle copasure to my pregnant boer girls.

Is the dose 1/2 of one of those pills ( 6 g)?  That would be a  teaspoon.

Or is it a whole pill? ? 2  teaspoons?  Or something in between?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:45:41 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »

4 gm's maybe? I am at work, so I don't have access to my goat copper boluses.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »

Birdie has this info.   
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »

The "calf" copper bolus is 150lbs up to 500lbs.  For my girls, I break open the capsule and give each girl half of the capsule.  For Prince he gets a whole capsule.  I give it to them over the top of their feed (I feed individually, not as a group).  Half of the pill would be for a goat weighing 150 to 180lbs. A whole pill would be for a goat weighing over 200lbs.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:31:28 AM »

I like to use the Ultracruz 12.5 gram, Copper boluses, and I found that after using 1/2 bolus per adult goat, l needed to repeat in 3 months. I now do as Pam suggests, use one Copper bolus per adult Kiko goat, and repeating in 4 months.  The slow release of the Copper Oxide is very safe, and is not like Copper Sulfate, which some think of, when mentioning Copper. The Sulfate form can be toxic in incorrect amounts. I have used the Copper Sulfate in minute amount in my 50 gallon water tanks, for algae. Be sure and understand the difference.
 I believe we had this discussion about 3 to 4 months ago, and the dose was 1 gram per 22lbs as a rule.  I found I had to use the whole 12.5gram bolus to really make the difference in my adult goats, which range from 140lbs to 200+lbs.  I could tell a difference when first time I used 1/2 bolus; however, my 3 year old Kiko, buck, who is solid black (beautiful horns), needed a whole bolus.  I am giving all my goats another 1/2 bolus to make a whole. My pasture may be low in Copper levels.
 The range will be in accordance with the Copper level in your area. It can deviate; however, the
amount suggested should suffice.
 Here is a list of amounts that one farmer was using every 3 to 4 months:
 This list is a conservative amount, and too low for my Copper needs.

Up to 30lbs---------0.5Gm
 31 to 50lbs----------1-2Gm
 51 to 90lbs----------1.5 to 3Gm
 over 90lbs-----------4 Gm
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »

One teaspoon ( 1/2 capsule)  would be 6g so I did around 1/1/2 per adult doe.  Then did a little less than 1 on my younger unbred girls. 

Can you mix it with something and syringe it into them?  I have several wild ones who don't want to eat from my little bowl while I am holding it.

With me having them in a herd situation It is difficult to feed grain by hand.  They have a sixth sense when anything known as food is around    Angry  makes for more activity than I ever planned.  Thank God my son was off from school today and we got it done Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

I would imagine you could mix it with some black strap molasses and give it orally.  Past that, those are tiny wee little rods, and hard to mix into things.  I wonder if your goats would eat cooked oatmeal?  You could cook them up some oatmeal and mix the copper in about a tablespoon of oatmeal and in one bite it would be gone and done.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »

My goats love the copper boluses in oatmeal/molasses, and is so easy to do, and avoid having to poke the bolus per mouth.  The tiny rods do stick to the molasses, or peanut butter, or any kibble (I have given my buck the rods with his Noble kibble).  The syringe route would require a large hole for the rods to pass thru, and not easy for the entire amount of rods to pass into the mouth of goat.  I don't use this method as the food route is so easy. I almost said, "even a gal could do it!"  Yehaw, Yehaw  Better not!!  Laughter is good for the bones. I admit, that is the only easy thing I have found with these goats.  I won't ever get over the lady coming with her dad, when chipping my Kiko into his tail at 4 months old, and straddling him , and used her legs to pin him against wall, and installing the ID chip in a flash.  I can't to this day handle a goat like she did. Maybe it is a 'gal' thing. Yehaw
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »

Grin Cbdale!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 04:36:35 AM »

Grin Grin  That's too funny Charles!!! 

The best show a country gal can put on is a Pig wrestling match...here piggy piggy piggy!! hahahaha....yep laughter is good for the soul.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: