HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Caprine Health and Information (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Minerals Question
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Minerals Question  (Read 687 times)
scapegoats
Bottle Babies

« on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »

Hi there,

I give my goats minerals that contain ammonium chloride in it.  Do you think that is sufficient for preventing stones in wethers or should I buy straight-up ammonium chloride to add to their grains?  The minerals also contains yeast and I read the diamond v yeast culture is also very good for goats.  Does anyone know where I could buy diamond v yeast culture?  And is the yeast in the minerals the same (I know that one may be difficult to answer without seeing the mineral bag, ingredients, etc.).  I am a new goat(s) owner and any information about this would be helpful!!

Thanks,

Heather
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:38:35 PM »

It is unlikely that minerals would have enough ammonium chloride to really make a huge difference but then again I've never used it or supplemented in any way with it.
I once bought a bag of Diamond x at the feed store.
You see, the amount of minerals they take in varies from goat to goat, also the seasons.
And welcome to the forum & to goats!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 05:18:02 AM »

Well I had a nice reply typed out and my internet went down... go figure...  Roll Eyes

I'm a firm believer that male goats who get U.C. will get it no matter what you do.  I believe it's a genetic thing.  In all the years we've been in goat herding, and the thousands of male goats that came (either purchased and brought in or born on our farm) and went off our farm, not one ever got U.C.  However with that said, your mineral sounds fine.  You may have to watch for Copper deficiency or Selenium deficiency.  A good way to find out if your land is deficient in either one of these minerals is to take a soil sample to your Ag Dept and have it tested so you know what your land lacks in and what you have to supplement to them.  Either one of those can cause serious illness or even death in your goats/baby goats. 

Welcome to Goatbeat.  Nice to have you with us.  Goats are an addictive animal...can't have just one, and two leads to three, and so on...hahaha.  Grin

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »

No, usually the minerals do not have enough. You can either add straight AC to their water, feed or minerals or feed them a calcium rich diet to balance out a typical high phosphorus diet. Alfalfa pellets work great. You want the balance to be at least 2 parts calcium to 1 part phosphorus.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
scapegoats
Bottle Babies

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »

Thank you everyone for you help!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: