HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 03:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19825 Posts in 1417 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Bedding
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Bedding  (Read 513 times)
scapegoats
Bottle Babies

« on: April 16, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »

Hi Again,

I am clearly a novice!  I have another question!  I have turned a 12X12 shed into a goat house for my seven goats.  I spread out three parcels (from Tractor Supply) of pine shavings onto the floor.  I am confused how often I'm suppose to clean it out?  The goats often choose to sleep outside instead of in the house so they are not inside that much.  When people say they clean it daily does that mean they remove all the shavings, leaving a bare shed, and completely replace with new shavings?  That seems unfeasible and expensive!  Please tell me how often I am suppose to completely replace the shavings.  Even if I tried to remove the soiled areas it seems very difficult to separate the soiled shavings from the clean because it all mixes together.  But I suppose I *could* do that.  Please let me know what to do!!

Heather
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »

Nope I do not clean my goat barn every day or even every week or even every month.  I do clean it twice a year...spring and fall.  I bed it down real deep in shavings (can't get wheat straw down here--so shavings is all we have).  We have a wood floor in our barn (not the best floor to have, but it works good--it's been treated with a sealant), and what I do is use a feed shovel to clean it out...once I get all of it cleaned out, I use a household broom to sweep up what pebble poo I missed with the shovel.  I load that into my dump wagon (attached to my 4 wheeler) and I haul it to the compost pile or I take it directly to where I want it for fertilizer.  I then treat the flooring with D.E. and allow that to dry good before putting the shavings back down.  Typically by days end, it's nice and dry and ready for new bedding.  I also have a 12 x 12 wooden barn, for 2 large breed goats.  Our girls use their barn at night, they also go in and take naps indoors if the weather is cool or damp.  During the summer months they will sometimes sleep outdoors.  Prince (my elder/senior wether) he uses his barn more than any of the others do.  He doesn't like laying out on dirt or grass...he likes his cushy comfy barn.  His barn is smaller of course, it's just him in it.  His barn I put two big bags of pine shavings in, and also clean it twice a year.  His isn't as messy as the girls barn is. 

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »

Same here, a couple times a year. I do pick up berry piles the best I can almost daily.  Wink
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »

I clean out the goat stall daily. I have a rubber matt covered by shavings and topped with straw. I rake it all up every day and re-bed.

However, when I just used shavings on a dirt or cement floor, I just removed the wet areas and dropped hay daily and cleaned out the stall once a week or as needed. Mine would stay inside rather than go outside, so I needed to do a lot of cleaning!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: