HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 10:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  New Nubian buck
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: New Nubian buck  (Read 581 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: April 27, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »

Last year I made a huge mistake and sold Vanr, my Saada buck. I was not going to have Nubians any more, just the one who I had rescued and I was going to breed her to a Nigerian. Because Vanr had grown so huge (almost the size of my Hackney pony) he couldn't have been used on my little Nubian any more. Then I ended up with 4 rescue Nubians, 3 of which were bred like royalty. Then another rescue presented me with another Nubian kid with top breeding. Yeah...back in the Nubian business. I kept a son of Vanrs by the stunted doe (she was bred before Vanr got so huge)

This son turned out to be a sort of dud. He did manage to get 1 doe bred, but 4 others did not settle. I sold him. A Vanr son by a Chateau Bryant doe (Nubian royalty) came up for sale, so I jumped on it. I picked him up Sunday. Really sweet 2 year old buck but had never been separated from his herd and was used to being outside grazing with the herd. Poor guy got put in a stall for quarantine and refused to eat. Great. Because Vanr had been back and forth between my herd and this bucks breeder, I wasn't all that concerned about disease, so I moved him to a horse stall with an open Nubian yearling doe. When I took this fool out of his stall, he freaked and spun around, slamming his 200+ pounds into my right hip. Yup...pain. I got him in the horse stall and got the doe. She was just as freaky. She slammed into the same leg as the hip that the buck got.

I was sore while at work, but something must have damaged the other knee, because last night I was hit by pain to intense and excruciating that I couldn't want, sleep or anything. So, you can read all about that in the Just Because section.

Anyway....this new guy is handsome. He seems to have gotten all the good breeding from both parents and I can't wait to see what he sires next year. He is not the hugely tall buck his sire was so he will be a good size for all my Nubian does. Nubians. geesh. Roll Eyes Wink

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:11:13 AM »

I can't wait to see pictures of this fella you got.  Where do you find the room for all these goats?  With babies and new daddies and rescues, I just don't see how you keep up with all that.  This guy must be something very special.  Though I know nothing about the Nubian lineage or bloodlines he sounds like an awesome buck.  Congratulations on the new rescues and the new buck. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »

I love Nubians   Grin  I am down to one who is 1/4 Nubian and I swear she has all the unwanted qualities of the Nubian-- pushy, loud, opinionated, etc..  But I love her to death!

Can't wait to see pictures.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: