HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:27:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  More goats
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: More goats  (Read 927 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: May 04, 2016, 03:05:21 PM »

My neighbor called me yesterday to see if I would be interested in taking her ex-daughter in laws goats. She got them for her own kids and her day care kids, wanting to be self sufficient without really knowing what she was doing. She got a buck and a doe, laying hens and rabbits.

The local fox population got all the rabbits and chickens except for one of each. I guess she found out that animals are more work, especially when you really don't know what you are doing.

Yeah.

My neighbor had no clue what kind of goats except there were 2. a buck and a doe, and that they needed to find a new home quickly.

I stopped by this morning on my way home from an ACO call. The buck is a white Nigerian, kind of pretty but not really quality. The doe is very friendly, has horns (ugh) and is young. Maybe a coming yearling? She looks like a Mini Saanen. Not great quality but potential. She's pregnant. Probably soon as she has a nice little udder. Ligs are getting loose but vulva hasn't started to droop and the kid(s) hasn't/haven't dropped yet. The owner was at work (she gave up the day care after 15 years or so because of all the new regulations and such) so  I didn't get to talk to her but....it looks like they have been feeding the goats wild bird seed! I saw some hay and straw. They looked reasonably healthy and FAT (with all that BOSS, how could they not be????)

Yup, I said I'd take them just so I can get the doe home and on a decent diet and help with the kids, since she is obviously a FF. I'll find a home for the buck and then figure out what to do with the doe in the long run.  Roll Eyes

I told my neighbor to let her ex  DIL know that it would be about a week before I could take them because I need to finish rebuilding the small goat pen to house them in. Now it will have to be cut in half, so I can separate her from him, but let them be near each other so they won't be along.

At least the buck doesn't have horns. Poor doe has a ripped old hole in her ear, probably from an auction tag when she was a tiny kid. Huh? Sad

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54:32 AM »

Well at least she was smart enough to get two and not just one.  However, that Doe is way too young to be bred (in my personal opinion)...I'm sure glad she's going to be with you when she kids.  I shutter when I hear about Does being bred this young.  One good thing, they won't be selenium deficient for sure.  Nor should they be protein deficient.  A well balanced diet will certainly help.

I'm so happy that you're taking them in.  I wonder if you wether that boy, while waiting for her to kid, if it wouldn't be best to introduce her to your herd, along with him, so that she isn't so afraid, when the time comes of course.

Thanks for taking them in and God bless you for that.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:11 AM »

I can't let her in the herd with horns. Those will have to go before she is out with my other girls. The buck will be up for sale. If I can find a good home for them both (after the doe kids and she is on track with worming, shots, nutrition etc) then all the better.

You really can't rely on BOSS for selenium. Plants can be grown on selenium deficient land and still be fine. They can make their own form of selenium that is not bio available to animals.

What I am worried about is:

1) how fat she is, so close to kidding. Huge kid, toxemia and such make me nervous.

2) seeds and grass hay are way high in phosphorus with very little calcium. That phosphorus top heavy diet makes me nervous about milk fever.

There is also a strong link between ketosis ( or pregnancy toxemia...same disease, same cause just different timing)  and milk fever. This poor girl has been set up for a double whammy.

They live about a mile form my house, so I will go check on her daily until I can get her here.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:45:46 AM »

I have never fed any thing just straight BOSS...but I have fed grains of all sorts.  I've never had a problem with my kids, and I've never had pregnancy toxemia or Ketosis here.  I remember several former members of GB said Socks had Ketosis or Milk fever, and it wasn't, it was Polio.  I do know this, that if you treat for milk fever and it's not milk fever you'll make the illness 100x's worse.  That I learned the hard way.  That milk fever treatment stuff, that's mean stuff.  I'm glad I've never had to use it again, and I'm so sorrowful that I did use it when it wasn't milk fever.

Ya know Deb...God protects those that doesn't know...I know with our very first goats, years and years ago...I didn't know any thing about poisonous plants, or deficiency's of any kind.  Our goats, just roamed the land, and followed me every where...they got the horse grain and I wormed them with the horse wormer, and fed them snacks that I had no clue could hurt them.  Then I got that buck, and bred them, (was smart enough to know not to put a large breed buck on a small breed goat), and I didn't think of copper supplements, or selenium supplements or any thing like that.  Our babies were born healthy happy and just all around cute as little buttons.  Then, I sell those goats out, and years later, I marry my hubby and we get the pygmy goats, and again, didn't think of any of that stuff except the right buck to buy...and again when the kids were born they did great.  And that's when I found Goatweb.  My goats by all factors should have been dead, but God protected me and my goats, and kept them healthy and happy and the babies just flourished.  Now to do what I did back then...OMG!!!  No way!!! 

Point is, maybe this Doe will be under the protection of God and every thing will be just fine with her and her kids.  And deep in my gut, I believe that to be true with her.  Don't fret Deb...she's gonna be just fine.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »

Well, I won't be getting the goats after all. After saying they will be fine for a few days there, she gave them away to some guy she works with. She hadn't a clue the doe was pregnant. My neighbor figured out how old the doe is- less than a year. She was a bottle kid last fall, so she was born late last summer.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »

Well, I won't be getting the goats after all. After saying they will be fine for a few days there, she gave them away to some guy she works with. She hadn't a clue the doe was pregnant. My neighbor figured out how old the doe is- less than a year. She was a bottle kid last fall, so she was born late last summer.

I am sorry for the goats  Sad   Hopefully this person has some knowledge.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 05:46:15 AM »

Good grief...she was in a huge hurry huh?  I pray for those little goats.  I hope God protects them from their ignorance. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: