HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 10:24:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Fewer bottles?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Fewer bottles?  (Read 584 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »

We acquired two Alpine doelings in mid-March, at about two or three weeks old.  They were on three bottles a day at that time, and we've kept that up.  They're wolfing down grain and hay now (not just nibbling), and I'd like to move them to two bottles daily around the first of June, when they hit three months.

What's the least stressful way of going from three feedings at roughly 8-hour intervals to two feedings at 12-hour intervals?  Then at four or four and a half months, I'd like to go down to one bottle a day until they're about six months or so.

Recommendations?

Thank you,
Pat
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »

I usually just go cold turkey.  You could offer them a grain meal at noon in place of their bottle, but at that age they will be eating anyways and will get over it pretty quickly Wink

Will you be increasing the amount in the 2 bottles?  I usually increase it by several ounces when I cut a bottle out.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:19:39 PM »

I always just go cold turkey. By the time I cut a bottle, they usually don't need the extra milk, so I just go with what I am cutting them down to. I feed 20 ounces at a time and leave it at that.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 05:28:46 AM »

I try not to shock their systems.  I cut back the milk with water...first day 3/4's milk 1/4 water, 5th day 1/2 milk 1/2 water, 10th day 3/4 water 1/4 milk, 15th day all water, and then slowly take away the water but not over a long period of time like weaning away the milk...

Your issue isn't if they can go cold turkey or be weaned off, the issue is, are they drinking enough water to sustain themselves without dehydration.  That's the tough part.  Weaning in warmer weather, can cause dehydration, so we need to watch for that.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: