HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 01:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Top Models (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Kid pics
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Kid pics  (Read 1048 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »

The goats won't eat the mint, they would tromple it. Yeah, it is very invasive, but that's what I like about it. It repels ticks and fleas and some rodents, so I love having it spring up everywhere. These are the edible mints, the same stuff you find in food and horse/goat treats.

I had a nice Azalea bush when I moved here. The goats ate it, killing it dead.  Didn't bother them any, even though it's poisonous. Same with my Rhododendrons. I had a couple of does in my late herd that loved it. They would escape every chance they could and eat it. Never made them sick.

If I had more land and more money, I would keep even more of the kids but.......I don't. The pens I am going to be building are just outside areas for them to hang out in, saves me from having to mow! lol The horses help with that, I can't ride any more, but I keep them around to mow the lawn!

I have so little land that I have no place else to move the raspberries to! I have them right outside my house, but now they are spreading! I'll need to find more areas for them. Not sure where. My living room maybe??????? laugh

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »

Ok, make that 3 I am retaining. Both of the does born last night and Luann. The non-moonspotted on has a marking on her side that looks sort of like a dog/wolf head. That's a sign she needs to stay, right????

So, I stood outside in my back yard today trying to think of a way to enlarge the goat area and shrink my yard. I just don't want the goats near the raspberries, lilacs or my mint patches.

What am I thinking??????? 16 goats???????

Your catching up to me.  I am keeping 3 myself.  That will give me 22 ( my limit is supposed to be 20 max)   Roll Eyes
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »

Yeah. It happens. However, I only own an acre. Wish I had another 2 or 3.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 05:16:55 AM »

boy do I know that limit thing!!!  Broke it so many times it wasn't even funny.  At the end when I sold out...we had 103 head of goats.  I was completely off my rocker when I kept that many Doelings back.  We started with 25 head.  We only purchased (more like a rescue mission actually) 4 Does in that time...Now you know the rest of the story!!!  We kept back some of our best bloodline babies.  We paid good money for the bucks we had, to get that special bloodline.  I found it so hard to let go of the bloodlines we worked so hard to get.  When I sold out, it was wonderful for those who purchased them, as they got the breeding program instantly...took me 5 years to build that up.  Was a little jealous at first and then I saw the Does kids, and man was I a happy camper to see what they got, out of the bloodlines that we kept...I thought then, "man we did good...just think if we had been able to complete our breeding program, what we would have had."  If I could, here at this place...I'd have more goats.  No chance of that happening in the near future any way.  I'd love to breed Mercy to a 100% NZ, and Hanna to a PB Kiko.  But I think it best that I don't.

I am a softy for babies...pure and simple...babies makes my heart thump and then it melts like butter on a hot tin roof.  I'm hooked.  Cool

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:27 PM »

Maybe you can work something out with your new neighbor?

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 05:34:29 AM »

I tell ya, what I want most is to have my pygmy's back.  I really REALLY loved them, and really stupid for selling them out.  I really REALLY want a cross of the pygmy and the nigi...I REALLY REALLY WANT A BABY THAT'S ALL BLACK AND HAS BRIGHT BLUE EYES!!!!  oh that's my passion right there...doesn't matter if it's Bucking or Doeling (would be nice to be a Doeling, but I don't care which it is)...I have always loved the Nigi's and their sweet heart dispositions, and then the Pygmy personalities and entertaining behaviors...I just think the cross between the two would give me all my heart desires.  I adore the Pygmy...ours were so much fun, and so personable and so anxious for every minute that we spent with them.  Taking them to town with me that day (when we had 2 yearling Does, and Buckwheat our 8 month old bottle fed wether --he was a Nubian), and trotting them into the hardware store (no leashes, they were just following me) to get batteries and then down the road to the feed store to get chick feed, was the best day of living on that farm...those girls and that baby boy were so good, that the talk of it came back to me the next morning when a neighbor came over to talk to me about what I did.  Grin  That's when I was hooked...deep down in my heart hooked.  People from miles around would come to our farm to play with goats, horses, chickens, calves, kittens, and baby pigs...it was a grand day to sit on my front porch with 18 people who had came to visit and play with the animals, and just watch how happy the animals were to have all that attention and the people truly enjoying being on that farm.  I made a huge pitcher of lemonade and a gallon of sweet tea, grabbed a big bucket of ice and some Paper cups and out I went.  Grabbed the coffee cookies from the pantry, (that's all I had at the time, but kids don't care, they'll eat what ever it is as long as it is sugary and a cookie!!! Smiley ), and just sit there...I just knew I was in heaven at the time.

The best day was when those two Pygmy girls had their babies...every neighbor from miles around came to watch the grand event...but those girls hung onto those babies until way after dark and every one but my Son and DIL had left...which was wonderful all the way around...and the next day, here every one came back to see the new arrivals...these were big cattle ranchers, they weren't into "goats"...UNTIL they met Daisy and Mae Mae...yep, they charmed the pants right off the cattle ranchers.  God Love Their baby souls.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: