HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 11:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Trevor
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Trevor  (Read 728 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: May 11, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »

Early this am I looked out & there were a couple of brand new kids all dry, running around screaming. FF Trevor kidded without telling me. Two does one buck; he had expired by the time I got out there.
She is one of the most skitterish does ever & born here. She was always turning away from me when I tried to check visually.
It took a good half hr to catch her & bring to stall, she didn't even sniff her kids as we brought her out. Most new mamas even if they don't cooperate well on a lead will follow the kids offered at her nose & follow them out.
Pics later, my camera on the fritz.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:57:12 PM »

Congrats on the kids. Sorry about Trevor not cooperating!

Wasn't Trevor the name of Neville Longbottoms toad on Harry Potter?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »

Dunno, never follered Harry Potter. Someone said I should name her Trevor after a young man in our church who joined Marines.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 11:16:24 PM »

Trevor's doe kids. She also had a buckling who I think was first but he didn't make it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:17 AM »

Wow, pretty Doe.  The kids look fantastic.  I hate to hear that the baby boy passed, but she did good with those two girls.  Hopefully she will take to them better now that she's separated from the rest of them.  Congratulations on the newest arrivals.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »

That is the hardest part when mom is on the wild side.  She seems calmer in your picture  Smiley  Maybe this will tame her down some. 

Gorgeous babies.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

Thank you ladies, Julie you are right, she is much calmer now. I should have known she was ready; she was talking to me a little yesterday & she never does that.
What I think happened was she started to kid, Dep kept everyone else away & by daylight she didn't really connect the dots & baby boy expired while she was  busy having the others.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 05:05:14 AM »

Dep is a good dog for sure.

But Nancy, here's something I found with one of our FF's, and J-Belle (Anatolian x Pyr x Kommondor).  J-Belle would be in too close to the birthing momma, making her nervous, and fearful of her.  Which they had been together all this FF's life, but when she started to kid, she was scared to death of that dog.  Now, J-Belle had been known to take the babies away from the momma's, so I had to make sure that when a Doe kidded they were in the birthing pens, where J-Belle couldn't get to those babies.  Anyway, after she birthed her first kid, she was afraid and walked away from that baby and kept her eye on J-Belle who was outside the birthing pen, but could see into the birthing pen.  So I would have to send J-Belle out and away, so that Dawn would pay attention to her little baby.  All worked out fine, but I had to keep that dog back and away from Dawn for several days, because J-Belle made her nervous.

I wonder if that happened with your Trevor Doe?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

Dep is a good dog for sure.

But Nancy, here's something I found with one of our FF's, and J-Belle (Anatolian x Pyr x Kommondor).  J-Belle would be in too close to the birthing momma, making her nervous, and fearful of her.  Which they had been together all this FF's life, but when she started to kid, she was scared to death of that dog.  Now, J-Belle had been known to take the babies away from the momma's, so I had to make sure that when a Doe kidded they were in the birthing pens, where J-Belle couldn't get to those babies.  Anyway, after she birthed her first kid, she was afraid and walked away from that baby and kept her eye on J-Belle who was outside the birthing pen, but could see into the birthing pen.  So I would have to send J-Belle out and away, so that Dawn would pay attention to her little baby.  All worked out fine, but I had to keep that dog back and away from Dawn for several days, because J-Belle made her nervous.

I wonder if that happened with your Trevor Doe?

Or else she forgot it was hers once the contractions and birthing started again?  Did it look like he was up at all or did he never get that far?
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »

She very well could have gotten distracted. Dep does not steal kids so that wasn't it.
I couldn't tell if ever got up & moving or not, he was in an odd place so he could have wandered off. There was no sign anywhere exactly where she kidded it was totally cleaned up.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: