HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  10 week old Nigi Rescues.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Topic: 10 week old Nigi Rescues.  (Read 1322 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: May 31, 2016, 06:27:05 AM »

About 2 weeks ago, a good friend of ours lost their baby Pygmy buck to U.C.  It was terrible hard on the family to loose their 3 month old baby boy, that was their fondest and most loved pet.  This family has 4 children, 3 of which were old enough to know what the goat is/was to them, and 2 old enough to understand his death.  When Buck (that was his name---as well as he was still intact) passed on, I called my friends/neighbors who breed and raise the pygmy, nigi and pygmy x nigi to see if they had any babies that they would be willing to part with.  She had one.  The mini goats down here are bringing premium prices right now.  $200.00 unregistered.  So, I told them that my friends had just lost their baby boy to U.C. and the circumstances behind what happened with the breeder who sold it to them, and they took pity and heartfelt sorrow on the family who lost that pet pygmy.  They were at the sale barn and found 2 baby nigi's in terrible, and I do mean TERRIBLE, condition.  About 10 weeks old is what we're guessing by teeth and horn growth.  Neither of them should have been off their momma's, and momma was with the little girl, but her condition was just as deplorable as the babies were.  The little boy had to have been a bottle baby and about a week or two younger than the little girl.  So my friend brings them home...knowing they were in bad, BAD shape and their survival chances were slim.  She contacted me and said I got these two babies for your friends and if they live they can have them for 75.00 each, and that would save them the 200.00 each on my kids.

Well off we went to look at them, and our hearts just dropped out of our chest when we saw them.  We made a deal that I would bring the babies here to my house and nurse maid them around the clock, and if they made it the family would buy them and if they didn't, then we'd have given it all we could to save them.  The owner agreed, and was grateful that I would put the time and energy into them.  She is an extremely busy lady, so this helped her out a great deal.

Well these babies had/have just about every thing going against them.  Cocci, shipping fever pneumonia, worm overloads like you've never seen before in your life, lice/mites, anemia, and now Kidney infection.  As I said I lost the little boy 3 days after he got here to cocci, pneumonia and worm overload.  The little girl was gaining and seemed to be doing better.  About a week and a half into it, she gets a UTI.  Now this got worse over a 4 day period, even after talking with the vet, who was closed due to this last holiday.

Ok, so here's Lily's scenario...(and the baby boy's scenario--except he had massive diarrhea that he also got slippery elm twice daily)
Day one: Worm overload, dosed her 1/2 cc's Ivermectrin. 
              Heavy case of Lice/Mites, spritzed her with Permytherin Spray
              Emaciation, got her started nursing a bottle taking diluted milk at 2 ounces every 2 hours.
              Dehydration, started her on Electrolyte drenching every hour.
              Severe Bloat, gave one teaspoon of baking soda diluted in 3cc's of water and drenched her with that.
              Supplements of, one dose of Jump Start Gel, Probiotic,  Nutri Drench, Maxi B 1000, given every other day.
              Food intake, forage--select leaves, black berry leaves, dry hay, and a pinch of grain morning and night, milk every 4 hours.

Day two: (baby boy wasn't doing any better, started both on the Corid--that's all we could get at the time--by night fall baby boy's bloat was gone, and seemed to be doing much better)
              Worms start coming out in clumps
              Lice/mites were dying and I was brushing them out of their hair.
              Still nursing diluted milk every 4 hours, and electrolyte drenching every hour.
              Giving Corid once daily, along with all the supplemental supportive aides. 
              Feedings were the same.

Day Three: (early on a Saturday morning--went out at 5:45am and found baby boy dying...thumped his heart hard, then started CPR on him...to no avail, he passed in my arms  Cry )
                Lily, was now into full blown Shipping fever Pneumonia.  Started her on Biomycin.  Along with all the other issues and medications she was getting...she was gradually getting some better except her bloat was awful bad.  We took Lily and made a small round pen outdoors for her to be in during the day.  Lily started doing MUCH better, still passing massive amounts of worms so we decided to go ahead and start her on the safeguard, dosing 1cc per 10lbs of body weight once daily for 5 days, and wow oh wow, the worms came out of her like you've never seen in your life time.  I took pictures of it to show the new owners, and the owner so they could see what was going on with this baby.  It was AWFUL NASTY.  Had to bathe her due to all the lice/mites, and the worms crawling from her rectum, and the fact that baby boy's diarrhea was all over her when he passed. 

Several days go by:
Ok, now she's all cleaned up, passing dead worms, we're on the uphill now.  She's nursing and eating and seemingly doing ok.  Bloated still but we figure when she finally gets rid of all the worms that belly will go down. 

Last week Thursday, I go out and find that she'd pee'd in her crate, and it was all blood.  OMG!!  I start calling our Vet in town.  He said "Penicillin once daily for 5 days, Cranberry juice, and pedialyte", ok, I can do that, I have all that.  Dosed her for 3 days, and it seemed much better, and then all of a sudden she got TONS WORSE.  She could not pee what so ever.  Now this happened on Sunday night.  I did all I could for her to help her through it and it wasn't working.  I figured by yesterday morning she would be gone too. Sad  Well she wasn't.  But she was in a lot of pain, and she did pee some and that pee was full of blood too.  So, I start calling, my vet not in the office until Tuesday (today)...called a Vet that was in his office and they wouldn't take her, said to take her to LSU (I won't take any animal to that nasty place), so I call another Vet, and he isn't open but tells me he would look at her but also said she needed to be at LSU for ICU around the clock care.  He took her in...

He drew blood, and urine from her bladder, he took a huge stool sample and when he did she pee'd, and he tested that too.  He did all he could for Lily.  Here's our outcome...
She has an overload of cocci (AGAIN!!!), that he put her on Albon, once daily for 5 days.
She has an extremely large load of tape worms (AGAIN!!!), so now she's on panacur for the next 5 days.
She is anemic now, so she's on Infant baby vitamins w/iron once daily for 5 to 10 days, depending on how she reacts to it.
She has lice/mites again...the nits hatched so we had to treat her for that AGAIN.
She is now back on high doses of supplemental therapy...which consists of Probiotic, maxi b 1000, and a jump start gel that he gave me, cranberry juice, and pedialyte drenching.

Lily isn't drinking any thing now...I have to drench her with every liquid that goes into her.  She isn't eating any grain now at all.  She won't eat the forage.  So we are giving her green grass (which doc said to give her that we had to get food into her), dry hay (which she isn't eating a lot of)...last night I tried a bite of banana (she ate that!!!), and some cooked oatmeal laced with banana, milk and brown sugar, and she ate two teaspoons of that.

I haven't been out yet this morning.  I plan to give her another bite of banana, and the cooked oatmeal...and of course we'll be on on the med's and supplements as well.

She's had a terrible hard way to go...her prior living conditions had to be deplorable and I'm telling you, once I get the pictures of her off my phone and uploaded to my computer you'll be so angry, that you'll want to wring the prior owners throat and make them suffer as bad as this tiny wee little 9lb baby is suffering.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »

Good grief.
I wonder if there's a possibility of panacur resistance?

Or could it just be her immune system is compromised to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:43:51 AM by nancy d » Logged
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »

God bless you for trying to help these babies.  If anyone can pull her through I know it is you. I can't even fathom the kind of place she came from.....
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »

Nancy, I don't know.  Today she is doing ok, but is not drinking on her own.  She won't nurse the bottle at all.  Though I know she's probably about 3 months old now, she's not drinking water on her own, and due to the fact that she needs the weight and fat, I can't not let her drink milk.  She isn't eating grain yet either and that use to be her most favorite time of the day.  She is foraging ok, and grazing good.  I just can't get any other foods down her.

Thanks Julie...I am trying as hard as I possibly can to keep her alive.  She is definitely a full time job, drenching every hour and going slow so that I don't upset her too bad.  I hate it when she fights it.   

So if all goes well, I'm going to attempt to post pictures.  Depends if I get them resized correctly or not. hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:50:14 AM »

Have to use Photobucket.  I don't know what's wrong with my computer and the additional options...but Windows 10 and GB do not get along with the additional options.  Roll Eyes

This picture is of Lily 3 days after she came here, guessing she is around 10wks old.  I am trying to find the pictures of them the day they arrived, but they aren't in my photo gallery of my phone so I have to find them.  Will share those later when I do.

This is Lily's first trip outdoors, after a few minutes we found that Lily could really run fast and when she took off it was not easy catching her, so with the fear of the azaleas out there and her taking off, we decided to move to the back yard another day of course, after we caught her we were too tired to try that again...lol

This is Lily's introduction to Samson.  One by one we introduced her to all the dogs, they are all best of buds now. 

This is when we made her the outdoor round pen.  She would pitch a fit if we left her, So I asked the dogs to stay with her while I went in for a cold glass of tea and the dogs did just that.  They never left her.

Brandy Wine has grown up a lot since I last posted pictures of her.  She adores this baby goat, and rarely leaves her side when they are outdoors together.  She keeps a close watch over Lily at all times.

This one is a sad one.  This is Lily at the Vets office on Monday.  He was preparing to draw her blood, and extract the urine off of her.  This poor baby was in so much pain that it sickened me to the core.  There is no change as of yesterday and I'm preparing to go get her and see how she is doing.  Hopefully today brings some improvement.  I pray for this baby goat, constantly.  Nothing tears at my heart worse than to know someone could be so cruel to such a tiny wee little baby, and do something like this to them.  God willing, and by his mercy and grace, she will survive this.

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:16:07 AM »

Happy to report that Lily nursed 2 ounces of milk on her own this morning.  She urinated and it was a lot of urine and clear of any blood.  Her stools from the night, and this morning are pebble formed and no visual signs of worms in the pebbles like yesterday.  She got all her med's and supplements this morning and took them easily instead of fighting me.  She nibbled at a little grain, and ate at some forage and grass that was given to her this morning.  Protested loudly that she was not outdoors in her round pen, so at this time, she is outdoors in her pen, and grazing grasses and a few weeds.  She has more energy this morning, though her eye lids are still pale, we are more hopeful at this point.  Her stomach is still really large, but is softer this morning than yesterday morning.  I don't see any more lice/mites on her.  I brushed her three times yesterday and I think I got most of them off, hopefully.

It's a better day than yesterday, and I'm praying it continues to get better each day.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »

Oh what a heart theif Lily is!
So glad to hear she is doing better, way to go Pam & the Lord!
It's good she is fighting you.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »

My goodness her little face!  She looks like she belongs to a Hobbit from a "Lord of the Rings" movie.  I am so glad she is doing better!  I pray she continues to improve.  Brandy is beautiful!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:54:27 AM »

I credit the Lord, and Dr. Schilling who helped me with her.  I tell ya, this baby wouldn't have lived another day if Dr. Schilling hadn't taken her in. 

Julie I hadn't thought of her that way, but ya know?, you're right, she does look like she belongs with the Hobbits.  laugh  I know in these pictures you can't tell just how big she is, so I'll have to put a ruler up along side of her, so you can see this is a very tiny baby for her age.  I have to weigh her again too, see if she's gaining any weight.  Last I weighed her she was 9lbs.  And that was a week or so ago. 

Yesterday she did great.  She ate a lot of forage and grasses.  Got her first taste of apple and loved that.  She started out yesterday morning drinking 2 ounces of milk on her own, and a few hours later drank another ounce and a half, then yesterday afternoon she drank an entire 4 ounces at one sitting on her own.  Then last night at bed time she ate another 4 ounces.  So I think and I hope and I pray she's back on track with that.  She ate a pinch of grain, but wanted no more when I offered her more.  She ate really good yesterday, and swore that she was still starving at 7pm last night when I said "oh no, that's enough for you little girl."  She is back to her old self, demonstrating her objection of not being able to be outdoors when I was mowing grass.  Boy did she throw a fit!!!  I would stop and go get her and let her outdoors for about 30 minutes and then I would put her back in and go back to work.  She was not happy about that at all.

I'm about to upload some more pictures I took yesterday of her.  I think you'll enjoy these...they aren't so sad looking, yet they are still sad, but not as bad...if ya know what I mean.  Grin

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 04:26:17 AM »

The first trip outdoors yesterday morning with her special dog friends.  Brandy just had to clean her up. After a while of this treatment, Lily found that she was tired of that, and head butted Brandy right in the nose!!! Brandy didn't much feel it, but did sneeze, so she went back to cleaning Lily again and Lily butted her again, and again, Brandy sneezed and looked at her as to say "why are you doing that?"...it was super cute.  Grin

This next one is our second trip outdoors for the morning.  After I finished mowing the back yard, and hearing her protests of wanting to be outside, I stopped mowing and went and got her.  She decided she would help me with weed eating, so hence, here's Lily the weed eater....lol.

Isn't it just like this to happen...you think you've found a really good worker, dedicated to their appointed job and intelligent about what a weed is...well Lily just couldn't contain herself...she wanted every thing in her path cleared out and by golly nothing was going to stop her..."oh no Lily, that's the wrong weed!!"

All in all, Lily had a good day yesterday. And I'm elated to see her coming around, and I pray that she continues.  May the Lord bless her little heart, and keep her from any further health struggles. Amen.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »

Beautiful pics!
Lily you have class. Get those roses girl!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »

She looks good.  You know that getting into trouble is a really, really good sign she is feeling better  Roll Eyes
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »

OK Birdie, how are you going to let that little one go??   I see all the green grass in ole La., I thought you were about dry down there.  Does the sprinklers go during the night??  Yehaw  I could handle a couple of those little ones at my house.   
 Gotta hand it to Ms. Goat Whisperer(sp)!!  Back to life again! 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »

Ha, Charles...it's going to be hard to let her go.  She is so gentle and so sweet and so passive.  All she really wants to do is sit in your lap, while you rock her and pat her tiny bum.  She loves licking your face (especially your eyes), and putting her head on your shoulder and snuggling into your neck.  This little girl isn't so pretty, but what she lacks in beauty, she makes up in her tiny wee little soul.  She's gonna make her new family a wonderful pet.  She absolutely LOVES being brushed.  She will stand for hours to be brushed. Smiley

But, I am a bearer of bad news.  Lily took another downward turn.  The blood is back in her urine.  She gladly nursed down the cranberry juice all on her own.  There was only one bottle yesterday that she only took 2 ounces of it, and the rest of the milk bottles she drank very well.  She only got her round pen and the forage that I clipped for her yesterday.  After seeing the return of the blood in her urine, I've decided it has to be something in our yard where she is grazing that is inducing this blood.  It was gone since Monday this week and she was doing good, and now that she's back to full grazing of our yard, it's back again. Sad 

She also passed a 12" long worm from her body.  Along with tons of worm segments.  I was blown away by that.  We've only had a few days of the two weeks she has been here that her stools have not contained worms.  Well yesterdays beat all I've ever saw in a young baby.  She only has one more worming dose, and one more cocci treatment and we're done with that.  There has to be so many dead worms in her that I'm fearing impaction from them, and I'm fearing those dead things are inside of her just rotting away.  Now that's flat nasty. 

I'm still working on her anemia.  I truly don't see a lot of change in that yet.  That one scares me a dandy.  Goats die pretty quick from being anemic.  She isn't badly anemic, her eyes aren't solid white...I had been watching those closely when she got here, so when they started turning pale, I saw it before it got out of control.  I was hoping a good diet, and infant baby vitamins w/iron, would bring this back quicker than it is. 

I tell ya, this baby has a strong will to live.  She's been through just about every sickness a goat could have except polio and listeria.  And God forbid we get that.  I don't know how she survived this.  I just hope and pray she comes out of this round of back set.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »

How can a young baby get so infested?  Makes me wonder how in the world her mother even had them if conditions were that bad.

Could she be picking up new worms from grazing in her pen?  I don't know how long it takes for them to hatch out again from the berries she is leaving behind?  Doesn't seem possible in such a short time ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: