HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2018, 07:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20251 Posts in 1451 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  10 week old Nigi Rescues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: 10 week old Nigi Rescues.  (Read 1456 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 04:26:12 AM »

Julie, the mother is just as bad as these babies were/are.  Although, last report I got on her, she was holding her own and doing some better.  Lily belonged to the mother, but the baby boy was a bottle baby to begin with and I think they grew tired of taking care of him and pitched him out with Lily and her momma thinking her momma would take him and she didn't.  He was in much worse shape than Lily is in.

I don't think she's picking worms up in her round pen.  I mean any thing is possible, but for the first week they stayed in the shop, in a more stable climate environment, so it wasn't until the second week that she got the round pen.  Then when I thought she was clear of worms and the first round of cocci treatment was over, she got to go outdoors.  And her round pen is in my back yard, where no other livestock animals have been.  My dogs are wormed once a month faithfully, so I don't think they passed any type of worms, but Rabbit could be..they come into the yard every once in a while. 

After the vet visit and he said she still had cocci, that's when I moved that round pen, and bleached it down, and cleaned that area real good.  So she's on fresh grounds, but when she gets her last dose of wormer here this morning, the round pen will be moved again, and that area sprayed down with bleach and cleaned up real good.

She seems to be doing better, but this up and down stuff has me leery of saying any thing.  She's not happy about not being able to forage and graze at will.  I have had her strictly in her round pen, indoors in her room, and have been selecting the grasses she's getting, and the forage she has.  I know she wants to be a goat, but with this fragile immune system, I don't dare risk any thing at this point.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »

I don't blame you for being selective on when and where she grazes.  Goats do have a mind of their own and a will to match. With you moving her so often I doubt she is picking up new worms.  What type of grass is that she is on in the pictures?  I have never seen anything like it, must be native to your climate?
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »

Pam, have you tried the Geritol as a hematinic for the anemia?  May even mix in some Blackberry wine for taste.  Back in the day, we used this mixture for nursing homes for the elderly, and seemed to stimulated their appetite.
  She seems to still be having problems with the early trama of severe worms, and even irritated her kidneys. I like the Albon for several days, and I still use it when I have a litter of pups, and I worm them at 5 weeks with Albon before leaving my home. I would continue to worm her until clear. Some infections leave a trail of scar tissue in kidneys/intestines, and will bleed until clear. I like Keflex as well for secondary infection.
 Just my opinion;  however, with all the trama she has gone thru, I would not further any irritation by worming per mouth with pour on meds. They severely irritate the lining of mucosa, and she does not need that at this time.  I would calm that tommy down with injections for anthelmintics. and pray for her recovery.
I know that is not the "rule of thumb" with goat people; however, try drenching some kerosene, and see how works for you!  Yehaw  ---  throw the stones!!  Hey, just an opinion----
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 06:00:31 AM »

Charles I totally agree with you on the burning of the Cydectin Pour on Giving orally to goats, but remember a few years back that's all we had as a choice wormer for goats.  It wasn't until recently (the past few years) that they have came out with a drench wormer of Cydectin.  And remember that bottle is marked for sheep, not goats, so technically it's not for goats, but it works great on goats as well as sheep.  Now that we have an option we of course put away the drench given orally...but when I started in goats, we didn't have a good deal of products on the market to give to goats.  Now that goats are more popular, the pharmaceutical companies are now bringing more products out that are safe for goats...some I agree with, and some I don't...but at least we now have options.

I only gave Lily the Ivermectrin Horse paste, which is safe for babies at the age of 6wks and up.  Safeguard, which didn't totally clean out her worm issue.  And the Panacur and to this day, I still say there is a big difference in Safeguard to Panacur...Panacur just flat works better than Safeguard.  You have to be ever so careful what you give babies as far as wormers go.  Though they are all safe for goats, that I use, some of them can't be given to babies this young.  Dectomax, If I had it here, would have been my preferred wormer for sure.  Dectomax is safe for babies at the age of 4 weeks old and doesn't have the chemical "punch" to the liver that other wormers have.  It clears out those large stomach worms real good, without harm to the liver. 

I do like the Geritol, but I was going with what the Vet wanted me to do.  Which I have to say, is working.  Her eyelids as of last night were pink again...not as bright as I want them to be, but they are pink for sure.  This my friend was an amazing sight for me.  I can't tell you how tickled I was to see that. Smiley 

As of last night, Lily's bloat is gone.  Happy  And she finally have a girly figure..  gogrl
I am happy to report that she has tons of life to her now...managing to jump on absolutely every thing out in the shop..  run goat

So all in all...here's what we have...with reverence to saying any thing, because I say something, and something else goes wrong...so I'm leery of it, but ALL PRAISES BE TO GOD, as I know he saved her life from our prayers...but this little girl has Pink eyelids, bloated belly gone, free of worms and cocci, over her pneumonia, lice and mites are dead, and now she's shedding that long frumpy hair coat, and soon will get her hooves trimmed and a wash down (no bathing) to go home to her new owners who are anxiously waiting her arrival when I give the "come get her" word.

BUT...there is always that "but"....with the bloat gone, you can seriously see just how skinny she is...every bone in her body shows.  Her head is the only place that isn't emaciated.  But we can cure that, with lots of TLC and a little good food.  And, she's not a bright pink in her eyes yet, so we'll continue a few more doses of the vitamins w/iron and watch those eyes closely.  As of yesterday she is still refusing the grain but is shoving it around with her nose, so we're hopeful that she will return to eating her grain soon.  She is still on the bottle, taking 2 to 4 ounces every 4 hours (that's her choice, I want her to take 4 ounces every 4 hours but she sometimes says "no, I don't want that."), she's not interested at all in drinking water or even drinking milk from a dish.  She sticks her nose in it every now and again, but doesn't drink any of it.  Roll Eyes  So until she is drinking water, she has to have a bottle.   

I can't believe this baby made it through all this...I am simply amazed at the mercy, love and graze of our Lord.  Any other goat would have died from this.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »

I still don't see how you can part with that little cuttie--  glad she is getting better with such care you are giving her.
 I have a goat that will not any complete kibble, except Purina Noble.  I tried some feed per a feed plant with 16% protein, and similar formula on tag that was a little less expensive; however, the coats and weight started to suffer, and I went back to the Noble, and "walla", the weight and good coats came back.  I do mix some BOSS, with the Noble grain, and sometimes a handful of horse, sweet mix, for the taste, and they fight over the mix.  I have found that I have to Copper bolus more than I have in past, and now give my adult Kiko buck, and the BoKi's a full 12.5gram of Copper every 3 to 4 months.
 I like the Noble feed with BOSS, and a little horse mix, Sweetlix minerals, as my pasture is getting burned up with this heat, and the Noble is a complete feed  to use in case of short hay supply, for a short time. I am hoping for some rain for pasture, as having to purchase hay now is not good.
 It is amazing how different the small bales of hay are around here, as to how the goats like the hay.  I get mostly Fescue/Orchard grass/Clover mix, as some of the Bermuda hay is not as good--lot of dust in the hay.
 I just bush hogged around 8 acres, and had no one to small bale-- I hate waste of hay

Birdie, watch out or that little one will be staying in your house--- Yehaw
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 05:07:53 AM »

It's gonna be real hard Charles to say goodbye to her.  She has such a gentle, loving soul, that you can't help but to get attached to her.  Her new family is already attached to her, and with the loss of their other baby (3 month old pygmy buckling--he died of U.C.), it would have been devastating to them to loose this little girl.  I can see baby Lily getting seriously attached to their oldest daughter (Avery).  Avery has a gentle loving soul (which all their children do, but Avery's penetrates from her outward being--so to speak), and Avery being a little girl, and Lily needing to be treated like a baby doll, who loves to be brushed and pampered over, I can see those two getting seriously attached to one another.  Baily their youngest daughter (16 months old), will enjoy the gentleness of Lily, so that she can sit and pet all she wants to and Lily will just stand there and let her.  I knew in my heart the day she came here, that I'd fall in love with her because she is what I've been wanting for a good many years.  But I did this for the good of this family who's taking her...I wanted to make absolutely sure that they got a good healthy baby for a pet this time.  No surprises, and no lies being told to them.  That's why the loss of their other baby was so devastating to them, the breeder lied to them so badly that I want to wring her filthy neck for what she did to this family.  You don't even know how much they loved that baby boy, it was enough to wrench the heart out of Satan when that boy passed away.

Lily had a WONDERFUL day yesterday.  She spent most of her day outdoors, and never complained once.  She is doing fantastic.  She still won't touch the grain, but she did dip her nose into the water yesterday, and took a small lap of that.  She isn't paying any attention to the hay either...just fresh grass and forage, that's all she seems to want.  She nursed her bottle real good yesterday too.  If she continues down this road she's on now, she'll be ready to go to her new home middle to the end of this week.  All Lily has to do now, is gain weight.  That will come over time.

Charles we just got some rain yesterday and a small amount the day before...but it's been small amounts of rain...sometimes just a sprinkle and it stops, one time (when I was walking out the door Saturday to go to my training class), it down poured rain for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Then it went to sprinkling and kept us from working on the chicken pen, and my training class.  We need a lot more rain yet.  I hate hearing that you're not getting the hay you need.  It rained so much here in the early spring that no one could get in the fields to get hay cut, so the first cut came out late.  With little to no rain for the second cut, I don't know when they'll get in to do that either.

I understand what you mean about brush hogging off good hay land.  I had to do that on our 7 acres just outside of town.  A man baled it prior to us buying, and we tried to get a hold of him to bale it, and we couldn't get him, so the guy we bought the land from called him after it was brush hogged and he's going to cut it the next time.  Said he would bale me a small bale for my goats.  Which is great and will save me a lot of money in square bales.  I did find some dandy hay over in another town, it's protein tested, fertilized, limed and weed sprayed...it's gorgeous hay and my goats are eating it very well.  He's a dollar a bale higher than my original hay guy.  But I really like my original hay guy...he's just a good old down home farmer, and a very likeable guy.  Charles that dust and dirt you find in that Bermuda is because Bermuda grows so close to the ground that the hay rakes stir up dirt and dust when it's being raked.

Julie,
I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question...the grass you see Lily chewing on, is a mixed grass...there is some Argentina Bahia in it, there is some regular Bahia in it, there is some Common Bermuda in it...in the back yard where Lily is chewing grass beside the porch, is some White Clover, white clover can be toxic to any livestock animal if they over eat on it.  Which is what I think happened to Lily.  Even though the blooms of the clover are few and far between, Lily ate a lot of the leaves of the white clover.  White clover is common all over the U.S.

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 04:49:10 AM »

Well come Saturday, baby Lily will be going home with her new family, and to her new playmate (they named Boots). 

By the Grace of God, this little baby girl has come through so much.  She had the mercy of our Lord on her side, and the strong will to live.  She's such an amazing little girl.  Loving, gentle, and submissive.  She is now running threw the yard, playing and bucking like a baby should be.  Her tummy is full and her energy is high.  She's gonna need time to gain her weight and develop her muscles, but this little girl is going to do just fine.

I'll be posting some pictures when the family comes to get her Sat.  It will be hard to let her go, as she is so easy to get attached to, but I know she's going to a home that will love her forever more.  And that's what counts most in this life. 

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »

Hey Pam, I need you to go thru all my choices for does, in order to magnify my small herd.  That little cutie was lucky for you to have gotten her first---most would have put her down early.

My pasture that I sowed with Latino, White Clover (spelling), is heavy with good cover; however, the goats will not eat the white clover.  I am going to blame Pam in   not telling me that goats do not like the white clover---use red clover!!   Just kidding Pam!  I have had to learn the hard way in last 3 years about goats.   I am going to throw in some K. Lespedeza (sp), Birdsfoot Trefoil, Orchard grass, and Rye, and red clover this year, with some triple 13 .
 Pam, my 1&1/2 year old BoKi male, is rally looking good, and keep turning down offers to sell him.  I can't decide to keep him or the Purebred, black Kiko buck .  The Kiko was run into a corner of pasture today by some kids running a Z Industrial mower, and spooked him so he ran to corner of pasture jumped up on a 2x6 board, and over he went.  I made like a cowboy, used a lasso, and brought him back into pasture. I just needed a horse to go with the rope. 
 My little Birdie doe is looking very well now, and is about the size of her Boer mom.  I have run out of does to breed to.   I have to select a male for Birdie, as I can't use her sire. I may go with an AI straw, if I can find a vet I can trust. My wether is even looking good on the Purina Noble/BOSS/Probiotics/and I am adding some garlic powder to my feed for all animals to deter fleas/flies/tics.  It seems to work.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 04:36:06 AM »

Grin Grin  Nope, goats aren't fond of white clover.  They may eat some of it, but if they over eat on it, it can be toxic to them.  Red clover is medicinal to them, as well as extremely good to eat.  So they'll go nuts over that.  Lespedeza is a good quality hay.  Our pastures in Missouri had some Lespedeza in it.  Rye only grows in the winter.  We spread it out here for winter grasses.  We've been using triple 13 here, and I gotta say, the first and second year were good, but this year, not so much, I think it's time for another soil sample to improve the fertilizer usage.

The gentleman I got Hanna and Mercy from decided to do AI'ing on his Does, and paid a pretty dandy price for the straws.  None of the Does took.  As my Caprine Vet back in AR told me, "Goats are hard to AI, as they can and will reject the straws."  Well so far, I don't know of a soul that's had success with it, lots of money spent on it, with little results to show for it.  I don't advise going through the expense.  Good old fashion breeding is the best way with these goats.  Maybe you can find someone who has a 75% Boer 25% Kiko buck to breed Birdie to.  That would give you the 5/8' boer 3/8's kiko and that's a Texas Genemaster baby. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »

I know a few folks who have almost 100% rates with AI.  I believe they use CDRs in conjunction with what? PG 100??
In fact one friend uses AI almost exclusively.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:19:40 AM by nancy d » Logged
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »

I have had real good luck with AI in my Jersey cows.  I think because it is so easy for me  to tell where they are in their heat cycle.  My horses, no,  and my goats would be even harder.  I imagine if you have a buck handy that would tell you when the right time would be to AI her.

Birdie--  Both sad and glad for you that your Lily is ready to go to her new home!!
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »

Hey Pam, that 3/4, 1/4 will have to be registered would he not?  It is hard to find many registered crosses around here.  I have plenty of Boer goat folks here with high dollar goats.  I just hate to chance another blockage using a Boer sire. I am still looking for Savannah does.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 04:46:27 AM »

Well yeah Charles, they'd need to be registered to prove that they would be eligible for Texas Genemaster registration.  It is hard to find them registered Charles...that's why it took me 5 yrs to build my herd..we had to breed every thing we needed, and pray for healthy live babies or please be a boy, or please be a girl, and not get what we needed and have to do it again...lol  laugh tongue

Cattle I have had great success AI'ing, and a few horses that we did do, but goats...not so much...we've done flushing and embryo transfer with success (in fact our BoCephus Buck was a flushing/embryo transfer).  Our neighbor over here, has tried the AI'ing without success and a great deal of money wrapped up into it.  I believe God created them to breed naturally.  Wink

Lily leaves this afternoon.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain and my heart around that.  She's such a sweet sweet baby.  Though I am so happy this baby girl survived all that she did survive, and is going to go to a home that will love her and take good care of her for the rest of her life, it's going to be really hard to say goodbye to her.  She won't be far away, so I can go see her when I want to, and I know they'll keep me informed with pictures and let me know how she's doing.  This baby is a one of a kind for sure.  I just wish you all could meet her, and know the gentle soul that she has. 

I'll post pictures of her with her new family.  They are bringing their other baby goat with them, that they just got yesterday, so that Lily can play with him.  This should be fun, but as soon as that new baby boy gets here, that baby boy will get a full inspection from this old bird...he's only 10 weeks old...AGAIN THESE STUPID BREEDERS, AFTER THE MONEY ONLY, WHO CARES ABOUT THE BABIES, GET THE MONEY!!!  Angry Angry I can't tell you how infuriated I am over this.  He should still be on his momma.  Angry Angry

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 10:13:09 AM »

I haven't posted in a while but have been reading and following the progress of this sweet baby girl.  All I can say is thank God for you Pam.  That baby is so lucky that she ended up with you!!! I know how hard and tearful today will be seeing her go but she is one you will carry in your heart forever.  At least it sounds like the family who is getting her will take very good care of her and probably won't mind at all keeping in touch with you.   Please keep sharing her progress as you can and we will keep learning from everything you do. 

You're the BEST!

Elizabeth
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »

Thank you Liz...you're a very sweet person, who also understands how I feel about these goats, and especially these babies...my goodness they can just reach out and steal your heart and you don't even realize it until they've already done it. God Bless these babies.

Well Lily is at home with her new owners, and is doing very well.  It was rather hectic while they were here, as you see we had other business to speak about as well as the baby goats.  We did tend to the goats first of course. Smiley  You see the adoptive owners, the Man, is our Contractor, his wife and their 4 children now owns Lily.  They have a daughter who is 6 yrs old, and has the same personality as Lily has..and I know in my gut, those two are going to be bonded to one another like no other pet in the history of children, and sure enough, it was so.  She took to Lily and Lily took to her and the bonding began.  Nothing and I mean nothing, could make a person smile more than a child with their baby goat.

Lily was kind of pushy with the other baby boy that they brought.  She wasn't real mean to him, but wasn't going to allow him to have "HER" attention, so to speak.  Roll Eyes  I was shocked at Lily's behavior with him.  The little guy is not feeling so well himself.  Come to find out this little boy was only 8 weeks old, and was being bottle fed, BUT---AND GET THIS NOW--YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS WHEN I TELL YOU!!!--- The prior owners were only giving that baby 3 and 1/2 ounces of milk twice a day!!!!!  He is dehydrated, malnutritioned, and is body temp was slightly elevated, with crusty looking eyes that the prior owner said was "hay allergies", OMG!!!  YOU ARE KIDDING ME RIGHT?  Said the mother died, Ok, what did she die of, when asked she said "I don't know."  Oh now, come on.  Ok, so I am figuring the owner didn't know goats very well, or how to properly take care of them.  So, here we sit with this lethargic baby boy, who's on a synthetic milk replacer, lethargic, slightly elevated body temp (103.0), crusty eyes, skinny, and I mean skinny, so what do I do?  I jump right in and get med's and supplements down him.  I get more milk into him, and explain to them how to get him off that replacer and onto the Vitamin D milk and how to start feeding him more milk during the day.  He's not drinking water, he's not eating hay, he's not eating grain, and barely eating grass, but he did have a nice go at some oak leaves for sure. Smiley  I gave him the coffee/molasses mixture, and he started perking up.  I am worried about that baby boy for sure.  I told the family, "If he gets weaker or if he gets more lethargic, get him back out here, or get him to the vet."  So they had planned to take him to the vet today.  Thank goodness for that.  Poor little guy...

Well ya know these breeders, especially these ones that really don't know goats very well, and takes the words of the ones they are buying the goats from...I'm positive I know why that momma died...she was a Pygmy, no doubt the baby boy has pygmy in him, but this 8 week old baby boy is WAY BIGGER THAN LILY...his legs are twice to 3 times as thick as Lily's legs, and his body is way longer than Lily and Lily is 12 weeks old.  So, that baby isn't a purebred Pygmy, he's crossed with some type of large breed goat and I'll lay odds that momma died having him...whatcha' wanna bet me?  I told them, "this isn't a purebred Pygmy...1. Pygmy's aren't this color.  2. He's way bigger than Lily and if he's only 8 weeks old and Lily stunted, they should be the same size.  3. His body and head and color tells me he's out of something that's large breed.  So, I said, this goat is going to be way bigger than Lily.  That shocked them.  Well indeed it would, because they don't have a set up for a large breed goat.  But I tell ya this, HE IS THE MOST ADORABLE BABY...such a beautiful animal.  I wish I had gotten real good pictures of him, but I was more into getting him to feeling better than getting pictures of him.

Now, back to Missy spoiled rotten...hahaha.  Grin  Missy Spoiled Rotten, went home with them and is doing very well.  They are really loving her, and their daughter is having a blast with her, brushing and combing, and putting bows in her hair and really spoiling Lily even more.  Lily absolutely loves to be brushed and coddled over.  So that's right up her spoiled rotten alley!!! hahaha.  I forgot to send Lily's bears home with her when I was packing up all her stuff to go with them.  So they broke out another bear to give Lily to sleep with, but the Man (his name is Ryan) will be out here to finish a Renovation job we have, so I'll send them with him when he comes.  Lily does love her bears for sure.

So, here's some pictures of Lily and her new brother in their brand new cedar/log home...her new baby brothers name is Boots. 

I will get the family to send me some group pictures so I can share with ya'll.  But at this time, Lily is doing great.  Thanks for all your support and thoughts and ideas regarding her care and welfare you all.  Again, it's so nice to have a goat family that understands how I feel and what I'm going through and tossing new ideas/treatments at me, that might just help, and most the time does help...so thank you all...and God Bless you every one!

Little Miss Spoiled Rotten is enjoying having this new house to decorate with lots of Goatie pebbles...lol

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: