HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:10:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  10 week old Nigi Rescues.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Topic: 10 week old Nigi Rescues.  (Read 1326 times)
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »

I love the little house they have for them.  Look forward to more pictures of the two of them. 

So glad they have you to help them out and steer them in the right direction to give their new little guy a good start.  Some of these breeders really make it hard for newbie goat owners who don't know any better and take the breeders at their word that they know what they are talking about.  Unfortunately, more than not it ends not so good.  It's too bad they are able to stay in business.

Keep us all posted on their progress!!

Elizabeth
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »

Love the goat house!!  Was it made by you or purchased?  Love cedar.

I am thinking of a few yellow Buffs for eggs, and am trying to decide on building a house.  I am thinking of using the cattle panels for the runs, and hardware cloth up a few feet to secure the birds, and over the top for hawks/owls.  New about chickens; however, our church members have them, and we get some eggs. You can really tell the difference from store eggs.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 04:15:29 AM »

Yes, Liz...I totally agree...it's a shame what breeders will do for a buck these days.  They have no conscience of what will come of the baby that they just sold.  Ryan said yesterday that the baby boy is still lethargic.  I tell ya, deep inside me I know this little boy has something serious wrong with him.  It saddens me to see him that way. 

No, Charles, I didn't build that building...Ryan built that building, and you're right it's an amazing little building for those baby goats..  He has a fence all the way around it, but it's cattle panel, so I don't know if the babies are walking through the panels or not.  I know Lily could, if she tried.  laugh

Our chicken house is almost done, the baby chicks are already in it.  I am doctoring one chick right now, who decided to prolapse.  I'm not fond of doing this for sure, as chances are this will happen many more times to come.  Our chicken run, is almost done.  We built it of 2x4 security panels and domed the top with security panels as well.  We are wrapping the sides, with rabbit wire so predators can't reach through and grab one.  I'll be glad when this task is over with...this has been a lot of work for 16 chickens.  Roll Eyes  I'll post pictures of it when we get it finished.

Hubby has named the chicken barn...it's called "Chic-Inn"  I think you'll like it when we're finished and I take the final pictures of it.  Way too fancy for chickens if you ask me. hahahaha. 

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »

Well, I have heard of going to the 'dog house' , but not it will be the 'chicken house'!  I am going to wait to see how you built your house and runs for the chicks.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 05:05:21 AM »

Our temps climbed super hot yesterday...the humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife.  Our chicks were super hot, and panting.  So, when Shane got home from out of town, we went to work and finished the bottom of the chicken run.  We opened the guillotine door and I tapped on the wooden ramp, and they came out the door, and finally down onto the grassy area.  Their chicken run is 90% shade all day, so it was much cooler outdoors than it was in their house.  I'll have to figure a way to get more air flow through there for them.  We have 3 windows and 3 vents in it, and we thought that would be enough, but in this kind of weather, it's not...so I have a small window fan in the barn that was left here when we bought it and I'm going to try and figure a way to hang that from the rafters and blow some air down and get it circulating through there.  It's too big for the windows. 

Chicks had a good time outdoors.  They weren't brave enough to venture the entire chicken run.  It's 34' feet long and 14' wide.  But they were brave enough to walk back and forth in front of the barn, the entire 14' of the width.  They were taking dust baths and being just plain silly.  Funny watching them do that.

Soon, I'll be getting finished pictures of it.  I am waiting on the letters to arrive so I can paint them and we can get them hung up.  I have two huge planter pots with flowers in them for each side of the deck, and a chicken chime to get hung yet.  We have to get the supports up for the "adult" waterer and feeder yet, and the step up to the deck built, but past that, it's the same as done. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »

Pam, reread my post--- "but now it is the 'chicken house!"  Ok, I need (OCD) to see your build as my wife wants some yellow Buffs.  I know nothing about chickens, except I like their eggs.

What chicks did you wind up with?  How did you frame the house?   I am going to use the cattle panels., and fold into a hoop shape, and 8x16, or 16x16 is my goal, with tarp over the runs.
 I was going to use a panel around a large bale of hay; however, I saw a new galvanized U shaped holder for the large bales, that you could back up the truck and roll the hay into the holder, which is off the ground for just the height for goats to eat.  I am thinking of purchasing one.
 My pasture is about dry from the heat, and wish I had a nice creek running thru property.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 04:57:41 AM »

I am fixing to post pictures in my "Chickens before the Coop" thread of the final phases of our Chicken house build.  So you'll be able to see what we've done with it.  Our outdoor run is not covered with a tarp, as the chickens do need a certain degree of sun for the vitamin aspect of it.  We used 2" x 4" Security No Climb horse panels, all the way around and the same panel for the dome.  We then took "rabbit" wire (not chicken wire), all the way around the bottom of the inside part of the fence panel.  We put the panels on top, like you're talking about doing Charles...but we had to build a support for them, as they are very very heavy panels.  So we set support posts in the center of the chicken run and nailed 2x4's to those to support the center of the panels at the peak of the dome.  Using the 2x4" security panels, the predators can not get through that, be they bird or animal...chicks can't get through the bottom because of the rabbit wire.  They are protected the best you can protect them.  We used 7' steel posts, on each corner of the run, and in the very center of the run, and then used 6' steel posts in between those.  We made a door for the chicken run, that hubby decided would look good if it were a solid wooden door so that's what he built. Smiley  Our run is 14 foot wide, and 32 feet long.  Our interior of the chicken house is 8' x 8', but over all size is 12' x 8', as we put a covered deck on the front of it.  We ordered the building plans, but we made modifications to those plans.  They were building trusses out of 1" x 4" wood, and we wanted them made from 2" x 4" wood.  I wish I could have found larger windows for the coop.  Though we put 3 in it, it's still not enough light in it.  So we may end up putting another window in at some point.

Our chickens are Columbian Wyandotte's, Golden Lace Wyandotte's, and Buff Orphingtons.... The buff's I like best are the Buff Cochins...they get pretty feathers on their feet, and are extremely good egg layers and stay tame and gentle.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »

Hey, where ls the TV and air conditioning going??  YEhaw
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2016, 05:31:46 AM »

Hey, where ls the TV and air conditioning going??  YEhaw

Well the chickens doesn't get that...the Goats took ownership of that when they got here... heehee.  I posted pictures in my chicken thread Charles.  You can finally see a small area of my place, and it includes the barn...our barn isn't fancy, or any thing to brag about, but it's serving its purpose so far.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: