HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 09:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19590 Posts in 1396 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Emergency Only (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  104.1 Fever, Cough and Snotty Nose
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: 104.1 Fever, Cough and Snotty Nose  (Read 1364 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 04:35:56 AM »

That's the same way it was back home in AR as well...couldn't get banamine unless they saw the goat first.  Down here, I just walk in and buy an entire bottle, no questions asked.  Go figure?

Listen, I want to explain something about the use of aspirin in these little guys and the adults too...

While yes, it does work, and is a good fall back if you can't get the banamine, we need to be super cautious of giving aspirin in this kind of heat.  Do you recall the warning in humans from the makers of Bayer Aspirin and the FDA?  If not, let me refresh your memory...they warn against taking aspirin and going outdoors to work in the heat.  Now, this is why; Like in humans, and the same in Animals, aspirin is a blood thinner, out in the heat the blood thins naturally, add aspirin to that, and your blood is very thin...thus, giving aspirin in this kind of heat, can and will cause heat exhaustion or even worse, a heat stroke.

I'm happy it worked for the little guys, but please, use caution when using it, keep the animal indoors out of the heat and sun, put a fan on them to help keep them cooler (works for heat exhaustion/stroke as well as breaking a fever), and monitor them closely while that aspirin is in their systems.

Now even with banamine, you want to monitor them, as they become lethargic on banamine, and will lay in the hot sun, and dehydrate, or worse..

I guess the best thing to say, is when a high body temp is present, you must work fast to get it down, as a temp as high as your babies was, is asking for death.  A body temp that needs immediate attention is a temp over 103.5, a temp of 104.0 and that's bad really bad, but a body temp of 105.0+ is death to a goat.

Happy to hear the babies are getting better.  Stay with the supplemental supportive therapy..bcomplex and probiotics...that will help them regain and fight back what's been ailing them.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »

I had no idea about aspirin and heat stroke, thanks for the warning.  I always used aspirin in the winter for her arthritis and the goat was confined indoors anyway by then.

So glad your babies are continuing to do better!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: