HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 07:20:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19521 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Trailer ball , and hitch
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Trailer ball , and hitch  (Read 1697 times)
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« on: June 09, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »

Hey all you gals, and some guys,--- what is correct 2&1/2 inch ball, on a 2 inch hitch, as I have a class 4 or 5 hitch on my 2500 Chevy, 8.1 motor, 4x4.  The ball is stainless 2&1/2 inch, on a 5000 lb, stainless ball holder, and my trailer is a 16ft, enclosed, metal, animal trailer. My hitch has a 2x2 inch opening, and I wonder if the 5000lb is enough strength for this trailer?  I want to go to a class 5, with a 2x2 hitch, as this trailer with a few cows/horses, can weigh a lot.
 I have read that there is as stabilizer bar to double the carrying load, but no knowledge.
 I have a 7000 forged ball on my Bronco, to haul hay on my 6 x10 trailer, with a class 4 hitch, and 2 inches square. I purchased a new coupler to bolt on, as my 3500lb weight is much less than my class 3/4 hitch and ball setup.  It is a little overboard;  however twice coming off my 2 inch ball, this coupler is going.  I love the Bulldog coupler on the 16ft trailer, but just need to balance the ball/hitch/ and coupler. 
 Hey, I can strut down the road on my new White, Rust Bullet top, and down the V in front, with my Urethane, Candy Apple Red on rest.  Very sharp if I do say so !!  I will see if the Rust Bullet is really rust proof as advertised.  If true, here goes my bush hog, spreader, blade, auger, etc.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 04:28:14 AM »

We have 2" in balls on our hitches, and depending on what trailer we pull, we have both 2" drops down to 6" drops, and we pull our tractor (9000lbs), and trailer (3500lbs) and do fine.  I am not sure what "class" they are, or what the "class" means in this situation.  I have a 6 x 10 trailer that I pull with my 1000cc ATV 4 wheeler as well.  Our tractor trailer is 6' x 20'.  I wonder why your trailers have 2 and 1/2 inch ball hook ups?  I would think you'd be fine.  Make sure you heaviest livestock is up on the front of the trailer where it weights that hitch down.  Lighter weights in the back.  Your 16' has a gate in the middle right?

I know what your trailer looks like, and it's gorgeous.  It would match my truck just dandy. Smiley  I am looking for a good used stock trailer now.  I should have kept our stock trailer that we had before we moved down here.  It was a nice trailer, and it pulled so well.  Won't find a bargain like I got with that trailer any more.  I'm rather picky when it comes to trailers.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:29:07 AM »

I should have said a 2 & 5/6 inch ball on my 16ft trailer.  You usually go to a class 5 setup with the larger/heavier trailers with a 2 & 5/6 ball, and a 15 to 17,000lb hitch.  The larger ball has larger diameter of shaft, and strength.  I have found the class 5 with a 2 inch, forged ball.  My trailer came with the Bulldog coupler, and uses the 2&5/6 inch ball.  I just need to balance my setup with a correct weight support.  The 2 inch ball coming off my coupler sent me into paranoia land!   I would definitely have to have the largest ball/coupler/hitch setup for a 20 ft long cattle trailer, with brakes--for sure!! Yehaw --"Temp not the Lord thy God!!  The larger setup will have a smoother ride, and less sway on road.
 I have to take my trailer in for packing the bearings, and one corner, yellow light on top is out.  I need to get my brakes checked out on trailer, and I am thinking of a light inside the trailer.
 Pam, does all the Nigerian goats have that long of a coat, as my wife wants to get one ?
 What is your 20ft trailer rating for your ball support on that 2 inch ball?

Have a blessed day!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »

The rating on our ball hitch/receiver is 17,500lbs.  We have a 2" ball and with that trailer we use the 2" drop due to the weight we put on it with the tractor/brushhog or other equipment that we have attached to the tractor when we haul it.  Our 20 foot trailer has breaks.  Our 6x10 is only a single axle trailer, with 3500lb axle weight.  We pull it with the 2" ball, on the 6" drop hitch. 

Are you sure it's a 2 and 5/6' ball or a 2 and 5/16th ball...I've never seen a 2 and 5/6's ball before.  Our larger equipment back home in Missouri, had hitch balls connected for towing other equipment back and forth to other fields and they had 3" balls on them.  But that's a large equipment hitch. 

I can't fathom how your 20 foot trailer is that heavy...is this a bumper hitch trailer or a gooseneck trailer?  None of ours (16' stock trailer and 20' foot gooseneck stock trailer) had that size of a ball before.  Of course all our trailers had breaks.  Our 20' trailer we have now, is a flat bed, that hauls our tractor.  That's heavy heavy tractor...the tractor alone is 9000lbs.  Add equipment to it and it's over 10,000lbs for sure.  Then the trailer itself has 2 axles that are 7500lbs each.  My truck pulls it just fine.  I don't get any sway or hopping around on either one of them.  Our stock trailers back home, empty or loaded to the max never hopped or swayed at all.  I'd check the hitch on the trailer and make sure it's centered properly.  I don't know who would put a ball hitch that big on a 16 foot trailer.  Goodness, no wonder you have a dilemma.

To answer your question regarding the hair on Lily...No, they are not suppose to have hair that long.  Typically when you see this type of long frumpy hair, the goat is sick.  Lily has been terrible sick and she's now shedding out that long frumpy hair and the hair is smoothing down nicely.  She's of course emaciated terrible bad, so in due time, her hair will be slick and shiny and her muscle tone will build up and the fat around her bones will form a good figure on her.  It's just going to take a lot of time and TLC to bring her back.  At least her health is good now, so she has no more battles to fight.

Nigerian dwarfs are dairy breeds.  They are typically longer and lankier than the Pygmy which is a meat goat, but also a miniature goat.  Depending on what you want, dairy or meat, will depend on the body shape/size.  They make EXCELLENT PETS!!!  Both breeds.  Very comical animals. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »

2 Inch ball on both our 16 ft steel stock trailer and flat bed trailer.  We have hauled both loaded to the max ( even overweight on the flatbed) with no issues.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »

Well my last post did not show up!  Yes, the ball is 2&5/16 in size, and is usually used on larger trailers due to strength, and diameter of shaft, which is usually 1&1/4 inch.  Most of the 2 inch balls are 1 inch shafts; however if you use the 2 inch ball, it probably has a 1&1/4 shaft, if it is a  class 5..
 I went to TSC, purchased a black, 2&5/16 inch ball at 25,000lbs, and a ball support of forged steel at 17.000lbs.  My trailer carries 10,500lbs, and the 2500 Silvarado, 4x4 HD, is around 7000lbs. I should be good, as I do not carry that much load, as I sold my Angus cows. Now have to check out the trailer breaks.
 I am going to make a goat carrier out of 4x4 inch , 16ft panels to go in back of my 2500 Chevy.  I guess I will reserve my nice trailer to haul the two jenny's for trimming of feet.  They need it now!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:08:46 AM »

Oh my yes...your trailer can haul way more than two Jenny's...lol.  We hauled heavy weights with our cattle/calves in our 20' stock trailer, and our 16' foot stock trailer held a lot of cattle as well.  We still used what I described above.  Our 20' trailer was a gooseneck though, our 16' foot was a bumper pull.  I used our 2500 Chevy 4x4 Diesel to tow with.  Our 20's flat bed that hauls our tractor has breaks as well.  I need a brake fixed on the 20' flat bed.  I dread that. lol

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »

Pam, the diesel has a lot of torque to pull; however, I would never pull a 16 ft trailer per a bumper.   I would have a hitch installed under the bumper for safety. My Chevy 2500, 4x4, with 8.1 motor is powerful, but I want a 4.10 to a 4.25 rear end , as my 3.73 is not quite enough for my larger tires.
 I  hope you meant that the 16ft loaded with cows, was pulled per a hitch, and not a bumper.  javascript:void(0);
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:50:44 AM »

Grin Grin  Yeah Charles that's what I meant...I just tend to call them bumper hitches since every single time I walk around that rear bumper, I get "bumped" by that dog gone hitch sticking out there.  Huh?

All our hitches are welded on to support brackets under the frame of the truck.  We're good. I hope any way.  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »

Hey, I tried to leave a smiley face, and got something else.
I had a battle with my Kiko buck today, as I had to pop him with an old hoe handle, witch was rotten, and broke.  I have him in a pasture by himself as he picks on the wether so much. One of the girls may be coming into heat, but I have to watch him, and those long horns. He thinks the pasture is for him only!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 04:17:03 AM »

Charles...you watch that buck...if he gets any more aggressive with you, you need to sell him and send him down the road before he hurts you.  You be careful out there with him.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »

I have thought of using my cattle prod on him; however, I have been told it may make him worse.  I need to buy an aluminum bat as my old wood handle broke.  I am determined that he will not win in my pasture, and my feeding him well.  His black coat is looking nice and shinny now, as the Copper boluses are showing up in his coat.  When the buck rears himself up, and off the front feet, he is at weakest point to rush in and take to ground.  I will control him or eat him!! l YEhaw

It is a day the Lord has made, let us be glad and rejoice in it----ya'all!!

cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »

Hey Pam, I am glad you have the trailer hitches, as I thought you "goat whisperers" knew all things!! YEhaw
The cheap way bumpers, and materials are on vehicles today are dangerous.  A sudden stop or lunge would probably leave you without a bumper. I knew a farm gal would know better.
 I am off with my 6x10 trailer to pick up my Gravely Z252 mower, and pulled by my 96 Ford Bronco, and the travel with that short wheel base, is not a smooth as I would like. I did place 4:10 gears in front and rear, and has much better power with larger tires. The 16 ft WW, steel trailer, pulled with my  Chevy 2500, 4x4, 8.1 engine, has a smoother pull.

nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »

Charles I don't go anywhere without my hot shot/cattle prod. Bob calls it a magic wand.
Anyway after just a couple of zaps my boy has learned what GET BACK means.
I just warn him & let him walk into it at chest height. He hasn't been hit for months but he knows what it is remembers what it does.
Listen, their heads are so hard anything probably feels like a fly to them not to mention anytime you deal with a buck's head they take it as challenge.
I once bought a buck who was a big baby. He had been taught manners before I got him. He was easier to handle than most of my does, almost didn't need a lead I could just lead him by his beard to the stand & he would tilt his head to accommodate his horns.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »

Nancy, that may be true with Boers; however, the Kiko's that I have seen are ornary, as well as spooky to handle.  I may have to use my new prod if he does not settle down.  My buck kept smelling me as I was working at the  barn today, and perhaps some of my does scent was on my Mule overalls.
 I have always popped him on the horns, knowing I would not hurt him. I just don't want to make him hard to catch if use the prod.  I had to use my lasso the other day, when he was spooked over my fence , by some boys cutting neighbors grass with a large z mower. Man, it is hard to steal a Kiko if he does not know you, and he has some room to run.
 I am looking at Savannah goats!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: