HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2018, 07:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20251 Posts in 1451 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Help on breed!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Topic: Help on breed!  (Read 2432 times)
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 07:13:15 AM »

Sigh of relief you don't think she's pregnant! I know she's too young for a baby.

Okay so no more RedCell or Ivomex.
We gave the shot on the 4th. I will have to ask my husband how much he gave. I can't remember.

Good grief on the worm in your baby! That's huge. Poor little thing. I checked Annabelle's potty yesterday and didn't see any worms in it finally. I will give it another check today. (YUCK! The things I have learned to do for my human kid and animal kids!)

I will pick up some baby vitamins with iron. How long should I wait before giving them to her if her eye color doesn't improve?

My husband told me yesterday that a guy he knows has a good vet for his cattle. He might be my best shot at a good vet for our babies.

These are the photos I took yesterday of our sweet mess!

TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 07:14:28 AM »

more pics
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »

pics
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:15:57 AM »

pic
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 07:16:27 AM »

pic
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »

I think you are seeing a full rumen.  My goats come in from their pasture HUGE and they are deflated by morning.  The rumen is on the left ( you facing the same direction she is) babies would be on the right side.  The udder picture is hard because of the way she is standing, but it looks normal for an unbred goat. I would just do as you have been doing and just keep a watch on her udder to be sure.
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »

Thanks for everyone's help and support. She wasn't looking so good this morning and wouldn't eat. She always leads for my daughter but kept falling down. I used a syringe and fed her some yogurt. After that she ate a little grass and a few leaves. We turned her out with the others to graze and she didn't move from under a tree all morning. I finally did a search for a vet and found one that said he dealt with goats. Luckily, he only lives about 45 minutes from my house! We took her to see him. He said she is Selenium deficient with heart failure (due to the Selenium deficiency). He gave her a shot of Selenium and recommended Purina Goat and Sheep minerals (he said they eat that brand better). He also recommended tripling the dose of Safeguard and worming again today. He said she should start to look better in a week or so and if she gains a lot of weight in the next 3 weeks she will need another shot. He was pretty sure she would be okay but couldn't guarantee it.

My little girl was so sweet all the way back from the vet. She was suppose to get to show Annabelle Saturday and the vet told it wasn't a good idea right now. She kept telling Annabelle that it was okay she got sick and that she would be all better by the next show. I could tell she was disappointed but more worried about her baby than about what she has been looking forward to doing for a month.  Sad
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 04:45:15 AM »

Listen, I'm very glad you found that Vet...Selenium deficiency can kill them for sure, but one single dose of Safeguard is not going to fix that babies worm problems.  Not even at a triple dosage.  Worm her once daily for 5 days, dose it at 1cc per 10lbs of body weight.  I'm being very serious here, if she has worm issues, one single dose of safeguard is like giving a dose of water...it will not work.

When you give this baby her grain, sprinkle a few Black Oiled Sunflower seeds on top of her grain.  Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds (aka BOSS), are high in natural Selenium.  This will help her out immensely. 

I don't think she's bred...I agree with Julie, that's just a full rumen.

Go ahead and start giving her the Infant baby vitamins w/iron (add a dab of karo Syrup to the vitamin liquid and mix it up, and then suck it up into a needless syringe and give it orally).  Lets do that once daily.  Keep a close watch on her bottom eyelid color...pull that bottom eye lid down and look at the color of it...if it's whitish to very pale pink she's anemic, if it's red in color she's fine.  Keep a close watch on that.  We don't want to overdose her on this.

Check her body temp.  She looks like she's been a little hungry in her life time.  Careful how fast you put her on a lot of different foods.  Big changes can sure enough make her even sicker.  Goats are foragers not grazers...they will graze if you force them to, but they would rather be eating weeds and leaves that to be eating grass.  Do you have any forage she can eat on?  If so, make sure it's safe for her to it and it's not toxic, and let her have what she wants to eat in forage.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 07:07:45 AM »

Will do on the Safeguard wormer and Infant Vitamins. She loves the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I will make sure she has them every time we feed.
We do have a lot weeds and small trees she can get too. At this point if she wants to eat out of my flower beds or garden, I would let her! We also have a patch of blackberries. I have read goats like those. I could take her down to munch on those.
Hopefully, I will have a positive update on our sweet Annabelle soon.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 02:08:29 PM »

My goats adore blackberry leaves and in fact they completely demolished my in laws bushes that were along their fence line, tell me that doesn't strain even the best of relationships Roll Eyes

Do you keep baking soda in a dish out for them?  I also use the goat blocks and am very happy with the results.  I get them from Orschelens which is our local farm store.  They have a Boer goat block, a sheep/ goat block or a goat/ cow block.  They vary in the protein % and amounts of minerals and the sheep block has no copper, but the goats really go for them and I can see a difference in their condition .

Might be something to look into. One would last you a long time.

I sure hope your girl will improve now.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 05:44:11 AM »

Ya know I forgot to address the advise of your Vets mineral suggestion.  Please, PLEASE do not give your goats the "Sheep/Goat Mineral".  There is a HUGE difference between sheep and goats and what they require.  They are very different in many ways.  Sheep do not require copper in the amounts that Goats do.  Goats require a high copper mineral.  There is not enough copper in "Sheep/Goat" mineral to supply enough copper to your goats.  Please buy Mineral labeled "Goat" Mineral.

Purina puts out a Goat specific mineral, Nutrena Puts out a goat mineral, Dumor puts out a goat mineral, Manna Pro puts out goat mineral, there are lots of choices out there for Goat mineral.  Check the labels and get the highest one in Copper content that you can find.

**oh, and Just FYI...Selenium can be overdosed...so if you're feeding BOSS, please watch giving the BoSe shots.  And all you need to feed that baby is maybe 6 to 8 seeds morning and night.  A little goes a long long way.**

Some flowers/weeds are toxic to goats...I just found out that the hard way.  I thought my yard was safe for goats and come to find out, it isn't.  That rescue baby I had here...ate leaves from one of my back yard trees.  I thought nothing of it, as my other goats, had also eaten from that same tree and its a species of Elm, so I know Elm is safe...but low and behold...my Rescue baby got a UTI from it.  Not once but TWICE!!!  She suffered terrible bad.  NancyD told me that some plants can cause blood in the urine, and it was a LOT of blood.  So we started narrowing things down...we only gave her back one thing at a time...come to find out, it was that tree and it's leaves.  So be very cautious what plants you let your baby eat from your flower bed.  Blackberry vines are great and medicinal for her as well. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

When buying minerals try to get the smallest amount you can because they don't like all of them.  I have tried the "Manna Pro goat minerals"  and my goats wouldn't touch it, but go for the dairy minerals my cow gets.  That is why I do the Boer Goat block and copper bolus. 
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 06:13:52 AM »

My husband did good at the feed store! The minerals are Purina Goat Minerals.
We have started the 5 day dose of wormer for Annabelle and for our little one. We also started the Baby Vitamins with Iron for both of them. They both love it! Annabelle even sucks on the dropper after its empty.
She had a little more energy yesterday. She half-way ran to her big pen and nearly knocked my daughter in the pond trying to get a box of raisins. She didn't eat much grain but chowed down on thorn tree leaves. Hopefully, we have more improvement today.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 06:22:01 AM »

That's great, glad to hear that.  Please don't mix any other item of high iron with the infant baby vitamins w/iron.  Such as the raisins.  They are high in iron content.  Giving both can cause overdosing.

The only mineral I can get here is the Purina Goat Mineral, and the Manna Pro.  I agree, I'd rather have the Purina Goat mineral, than the manna pro...but I found out our feed store stopped selling any type of Goat mineral, so now I have to order it, so before it came in I had to get the Manna Pro...they are eating it, but they don't really care for it.  I truly liked the Goat Builder Mineral I got back home in AR...but I can't get that down here. Sad

Forage is their main meal...we give grain to up their protein amount.  So it's ok that she's not eating a lot of grain but will forage the leaves and weeds.  She'll come back and start eating grain again soon enough.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »

Try the Sweetlix minerals for goats, as my goats will not eat the Purina Goat minerals.  I have to get store to order for me.  Good products!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: