HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 01:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19475 Posts in 1385 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Help on breed!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Topic: Help on breed!  (Read 2832 times)
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »

Our sweet Annabelle is looking much much better today. Her belly has shrank considerably! And she has been bawling her little head off all day (that was a terrible habit she had before she got sick)! She ran to her big pen this morning and ran back to her little pen a bit ago at feeding time. She ate her grain much better today and was munching on leaves and weeds every time we checked her today. Her eyes are still pale but have a very faint color now. Like maybe really watered down pink lemonade...

I gave her her last 5 day dose of Safeguard today. Do I need to re-worm again in the near future or just keep an eye on her? Doubling checking with the baby vitamins...I give those until her eyes have a good pinky/redish color correct?

Thanks so much again and again! Annabelle is my daughter's baby and the sweetest little thing. We all appreciate everyone's help and support.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 05:40:45 AM »

This is really good news...I am so happy to hear this.  Yes, continue with the vitamins until she has a pretty pink color in her eye lids.  Now, here's something that just happened to me with a rescue baby I had been treating.  She did this same thing your Annabelle has done...her eyes went back pink, and I stopped the treatments.  Two days later they went pale (not white but pale) pink again..so we started them up again for another 3 or 4 days and then they stayed pretty pink.  So even when you get her back pink again, you'll need to continue to watch her for a few days after you stop treatments.  If they go pale again, then start them back up again.

In about 10 days (if you can make it that long), worm her again with Ivomec or Ivermectrin horse paste wormer.  When that day comes, tell us which one you're going to use, and we'll help you with dosage. 

Sounds like this little girl has a lot to be thankful for and is voicing it loud and clear and all the way to the heavens and back. Smiley  She do love her "people". hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 08:16:05 AM »

Happy to report that Annabelle looked good again yesterday and acted like she felt much better. Hoping that she looks even better when we go out to feed in a bit. She was very unhappy with "her" girl at feeding time last night. She followed her into our new babies pen (Annabelle and our little Nubian just kinda follow us around when we let them out of their pens.) when our little Boer got too close to Addysyn, Annabelle decided that she would head-butt her! I think it shocked Annabelle when Izabelle(the Boer) turned around and head-butted back. Addysyn of course thought Izabelle was being the bully and Annabelle got "her" girl's full attention. Spoiled baby! She also made it loud and clear that she didn't appreciate Addysyn "working" the 2 new babies. She likes to lead and work with Addysyn but I don't think she needs to be led until she feels all better...opinions?

Also, does she need a probiotic with all the wormer she's had?

Thanks so much once again!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »

Sounds like she is feeling better already if she is getting jealous.  I have several who really compete for my attention and they can get pretty brutal about it too.

If she works with her a bit in the cool part of the day I don't see what harm it will do. As long as  she takes it easy and doesn't over do it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 05:07:23 AM »

Happy to hear another good report on Missy Spoiled Rotten.  Wink Grin  Yes, she is going to be very jealous of other goats/babies that comes close to your daughter.  They'll spar and spat like that even when playing with one another.  As Julie said, they can get pretty brutal about it too.  Just make sure your daughter isn't in the way of these spats with the bigger goats.

With Annabelle, a probiotic is a good thing even if she didn't need it right now.  She's had a hard way to go and good health to fight for, so yes, a probiotic would be good to give her once daily, but with worming, she doesn't really need it.  What's her eyelids looking like? 

Keep up the good work, I think your efforts are well spent, and I'm sure deeply appreciated by Missy Spoiled Rotten.  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »

Yeah, this little thing is horrible! But well loved.
Still just a faint hint of pale pink in her eyelids last night. I haven't made it out this morning yet to check.
I can't believe the difference in the way she looks. I will have to get pics in the next few days and post. She looks like a different baby. Bless her little heart. I sure am glad my googling led me to this website. (even if my husband did make fun of me!)
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »

Don't worry about the hubby's remarks, my wife says when we men lost a rib, some brain cells went with it!! Yehaw
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »

Don't worry about the hubby's remarks, my wife says when we men lost a rib, some brain cells went with it!! Yehaw

Oh that's too funny Charles...  Grin Grin  You must tell your wife for me, that I'll be using that when needed in my hubby and I's conversations.  hahaha.

Well TaKara, we're glad to have you here and we're more than happy to help.  The whole purpose is for the animal, and as long as it's worked well and baby is doing well...that's what really matters..right? So invite your hubby to come spend some time with us and find out just how fun we can be. heehee.  laugh Wink

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »

Yeah!! I am tired of being the only male mouth on the site!!  Wish the guys would jump in!  The girls will not bite---I think!
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

If tractors or chickens were being discussed my husband would jump right in. It was his idea to let our daughter get goats but he doesn't seem as hooked as she is. I think it makes him mad that they play favorites and he isn't at the top of their list!  He just keeps supplying money for feed and new babies (my kiddo is broke from buying 2 a couple weeks ago). In fact he gave her money to drag home another new one yesterday! We now own a little Alpine that has been named Pokey. That makes us up to 6. And a variety at that. 2 Boers, a Nubian, an Alpine, a Nubian/Boer Cross, and our sweet Annabelle (whatever she may be!). The variety is driving Addysyn's 4H leader nuts! He's a Boer guy and doesn't understand her need for a variety of breeds. But he's supportive and always there to help her. If Addysysn gets her way, she will end up with a Pygmy. That will really drive her Daddy and 4H leader crazy. They both think a Pygmy would be a waste of money!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 05:32:40 AM »

Huh? Huh?  A Pygmy is NEVER a waste of money.  The entertainment alone from them is well worth every cent you pay for them.  A pygmy has a personality that is so comical, and so ready to be with his/her human, that you'll be simply AMAZED as to why you didn't have one before you did.  They were among some of my first goats.  I adored and loved those pygmy's to pieces.  I took them every where with me.  They'd hop into the back seat of my truck and off to town we'd go.  They would trot right beside me down the side walks of town and into the Ace hardware store and then back out onto the sidewalks and into the feed store, and then back out again and NEVER miss a lick of being by my side.  NO they were not on leashes, and never wore a collar around their necks...they were just that good.  We'd go through McDonalds and they would just laugh and talk to my goats...there they were, sitting as pretty in a seat of their own, better than any dog would do.  Daisy, and Mae Mae were half sisters, then came along Candy, and Candy added a ton of sweetness to the group.  Then we bought Moses, who bred Daisy and Mae Mae and before you knew it, we had Shooter, Punchie, Oreo, and Panda...all four the grandest babies you ever saw, constant entertainment.  Especially Shooter...whom I did therapy goat train and who rode my 4 wheeler with me, rode the tractor with me.  Went with me EVERY WHERE.  Shooter was the most awesome baby pygmy goat I've ever in my life known.  Poor little Punchie was born with a hole in his heart...Vet said he'd live probably 2 weeks or so.  Well he lived 17 weeks, and passed away in his nap time.  Cry  Talk about a sad day on that farm...I think I cried a river for 2 months every day.  I know his momma (Mae Mae) did.  He was one that was so loving, and so gentle and so kind and submissive and just all around deep in his tiny little soul, a very good boy.  One that would steal Satan's heart and make him Holy.  That was a very special baby boy.  Then there was Panda and Oreo...twin sisters, yet couldn't have been more different as night and day.  Panda was born marked like a little Panda bear, and Oreo, she was born, well I guess you know, marked so much like an Oreo cookie, yet she was tri colored.  Both of those little girls were sights to behold.  Their color markings alone would have you wrapped around their little hooves.  Oh yes, those girls were jealous alright...when those two little baby boys got attention, those little girls made sure those little boys knew who was boss.  It was a riot watching each one say "no, I get mom's lap!!", and the other "well fine, you take moms lap, I got dads back!!!" and my oh my the play would be on.  It was like going to the movies and watching the little Rascals in animal animation!!!  Moses, bless his heart, came to us as a young boy, but a year old already.  Oh what a looker he was.  He was FINE TO SAY THE LEAST.  He was the light caramel, with black dorsal stripe, black ears, black mask, four black stockings, and a black tail and a beard to match Moses's beard hair for hair.  He was onary to say the least...but was a lover in his own right.  He loved being petted, especially his stinky face  Roll Eyes tongue and he adored being brushed, but when he was being a daddy or a stud muffin to those girls, he was a "touch me not, I'm too busy for you."  Later on, we acquired Butter...oh no I didn't name him...I'd never give such a regal looking animal a name like that!!  Butter was actually called Buttercup, and I just couldn't call him that.  So Butter was better than Buttercup...if he hadn't known his name already when we got him, I would have changed that name...any way...Butter again, was a fine boy, 8 months old when we got him.  I bought him for Candy, Oreo and Panda.  Butter was a lot like Moses (not as handsome, but gorgeous all the same)...touch me when I say you can touch me attitude, unless you have a treat, then I'm all yours as long as you FEED ME NOW!!!  Well Butter was a medium caramel color, he had a white belly band, and some black points on his ears, face, tail and a light dorsal stripe.  Nice boy for sure.  He never ever liked riding in the truck, but loved following me on the 4 wheeler down to cut wood for the wood stove.  He was deathly afraid of the tractor.   OH well, I could go on and on about the memories I have of my pygmy's.   

All in all...the happiest I have ever been with goat herding was when I owned those pygmy's.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »

I think they are adorable! But I also love the Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Since my husband is out numbered, we will probably be the proud owners of a Pygmy in the future!
I was looking at our new baby and I am pretty sure its not an Alpine but a Toggenburg. Its got all the right white markings and its a darker tan color. It also has longer hair.

We are picking up Annabelle some Equimax today. It will be 10 days on Thursday since she had her last dose of SafeGuard. Her eyelid still haven't gotten more than a pale pale hint of pink color. Normally how long does it take for color to return?
She is feeling much better. She went on a walk with us last night. She wasn't too crazy about using her lead so we used her longer leash and she was happy to come with us. She remembered all the "tasty" stops along the path so it took a while. But she was a happy goat!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »

I adore the Nigi's as well.  I just had a baby nigi come in for TLC, and major health issues.  She spent a little over 3 weeks with me and I tell you, it was super doper hard to let her go to her new home.  She had/has a heart of gold that little one and a huge will to live.  That poor baby should be dead, but she gave it all she had and she lived.  Gotta love the Missy Spoiled Rotten Lily Girl. Smiley

It does take a long time for them to snap back out of Anemia, and truthfully, you want to go slow with it, because going to quickly can overdose and kill.  But, we do want to see some sort of progress within a week or so.  I forget, please refresh my memory, when was it we started the Anemia treatments?  I'm sorry I have so much going on here right now, that it's hard for me to keep each one's dates straight.

We can switch her to the geritol tonic...(aka geritol liquid), and see if that progresses her a little faster.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 07:20:15 AM »

June 17th. So just a little over a week. I am giving her 2mL daily of the baby vitamins with iron. That's the dose the box said to give kids and I figured she was about the weight of a normal 4 year old. The kind I bought has 10 mg of iron per 2 mL.

She seems to be feeling wonderful. She bawls her head off almost the entire time we are outside and not with her (and we are hardly ever in the house...) Her tummy has almost shrank to normal and she is eating really good. She getting really shiny again and has had normal potty for a week.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »

Good job, sounds like she is almost back to normal!

I give my goats probiotic powder in their grain every 3 days or so. They really don't need them normally every day, some nutritionists suggest once a week. I split the difference and give it to them twice a week (though it does end up 3 times a week every so often). I mix it in their breakfast with the soaked beet pulp, grain, loose minerals and kelp. When there are no kids in the pen to get their dirty little hooves in the mineral feeder, I feed the minerals free choice and mix the kelp in with the minerals, adding the probiotics twice a week.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: