HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 01:39:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19475 Posts in 1385 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Help on breed!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Topic: Help on breed!  (Read 2834 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 05:45:58 AM »

Grin Grin  Little babies, with dirty hooves??  Grin Grin  Deb that's too funny...I wish I could keep mineral out free choice that way, but our "BIG" goats soil it faster than those tiny hooves do.  So our goats gets their mineral in their grain twice daily.  I judge how much by if the bowls are licked clean or if the mineral remains, and how much mineral remains.  So they are getting more than they want.  I put the mineral in the bottom of their bowls, so it's not actually "in" the grain, and they have choice to eat it or not.  Typically they eat it all, and none goes to waste.

Yes, I'd stay with what you're doing and giving in the iron at this point.  If we don't see a good difference in her by end of week 2, then we'll see what we need to do from there.  There are some goats, that do not go back a bright pretty pink color, some do have lighter pink as a normal color.  I have one out here like that, and though it worries me...I know she's fine.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 06:55:26 AM »

I actually started putting the minerals in the feed last week. Our little Nubian thinks she needs to stand up on anything she can just to see what's there. So our mineral feeder and baking soda feeder were dirty all the time. She did decide she didn't like the baking soda up her nose and has left that feeder alone.

Will do on the vitamins. She will be so sad when she doesn't get those anymore! She loves them!

What size of dose of Equimax should I give her on Thursday?

Thanks again
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 02:28:22 AM »

I don't use Equimax, so I am not certain the dosage on that.  However, I believe it "might" be 1cc per 50lbs.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »

I use the Equimax when I can find it, and it was suggested 2 to 3 times horse dose on internet.  I like it better than Ivermec horse paste alone.  I am now going to use Quest horse paste---  One cc per 100lbs---I assume they are talking about a gram, as it is a paste, and not a liquid.   You have to remember that the Quest is 4 times stronger than Cydectin--- watch the dosing.
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »

Happy news! Our girl had a little more color in her eyes tonight! It's almost a pink lemonade pink! My husband was able to notice it tonight (he doesn't check every night like I do.). Super excited!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 06:02:10 AM »

that's great news, happy to hear it. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »

Here's the newest picture of our sweet Annabelle. Spoiled baby loves drinking from bottles or cups.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »

She is looking much better!
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2016, 08:35:01 PM »

I think you ladies are correct in giving the minerals with each feeding.  The humidity here is terrible, and the minerals turn into a hard rock in the PVC, mineral feeder.  I am changing to apply with meals.  Live and learn.  My goats rarely will eat any Bicarb
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2016, 05:00:46 AM »

Yep for sure she is looking better.  Keep up the good work.  Being Nubian, she should be chatting up a storm with you when she sees you all. Smiley  She's a cutie pie.

I think you ladies are correct in giving the minerals with each feeding.  The humidity here is terrible, and the minerals turn into a hard rock in the PVC, mineral feeder.  I am changing to apply with meals.  Live and learn.  My goats rarely will eat any Bicarb

Charles, I had to learn the hard way too...I was putting that expensive high dollar Goat Builder Mineral out in feeders, and it was the same thing, constant ruin and dump, ruin and dump.  When I started putting it in the feed (I feed my goats individually, not in a mass group), my cost cut more than 75% on the mineral.  I was wasting that much mineral.  Now, my goats get it in the bottom of their food dishes and the feed put on top of that, and they eat what they want.  If it's licked clean, then I know I need to give them a little more per feeding.  If there is some left, I cut back just a tad.  That way they are always getting enough mineral for their every day needs.  I would rather see a little left in the dishes, than to see it licked clean.  If they walk away with a little left over, then you know for fact you've met their mineral needs. 

Our won't eat Baking soda/Bicarb unless they really need it.  I stopped putting that out 24/7 as well.  It was being wasted hand over fist.  So every few days I fill a small bowl with some in it and offer each one individually, and if they eat it fine, if not fine, not a lot wasted. 

I can't stand wasting things.  Tossing good money out on the dirt isn't my idea of a good management. 

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2016, 06:20:56 AM »

Man, I wish I could get my goats to eat individually--Ha!   They are pigs for sure!
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »

Thank you! She never shuts up! She's the biggest baby. She cries the whole time my daughter is working the 2 she is going to show and we even bring them up to the house to work them. But she knows someone is getting attention and its not her! We just love her. I am still giving her the baby vitamins. Her eyes are not a real pretty pink yet.

Oh wasting anything drives me nuts. The little Nubian billy we just got is the biggest waster I have seen. He's a darn brat and spills his food if you walk away from his pen while he's eating. We have tried several feeders and he has figured out how to dump them all. As hot as it is, thank goodness he finally decided to quit dumping his water bucket. I was worried about that.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2016, 04:57:02 AM »

those honary babies...especially those Nubians...they can get so spoiled rotten. 

I had one that would dump his feed (not a Nubian though), so I went and got him one of those dog dishes that doesn't dump, and that worked great.  Now he is 13 yrs old and not dumping his food any more.  Grin

Is there a way you can get a picture of her eyelids for us?  I'd like to see what color they are, before I advise what to do.  She should be responding better to the vitamins by now.  We may have to adjust a little to get a little better response.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2016, 05:55:00 AM »

I can try this afternoon. It will be later when my husband gets home. I don't think Addysyn can hold her still while I try to take a pic.
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »

I wasn't able to get a pic of Annabelle's eyes. It's been raining and then we went out of town for a day. The day we went out of town she didn't get her vitamins. When I checked her eyes the next day they had lost all their color again....
She had her vitamins the last 2 nights but the color hasn't returned yet.
She's still bawling and following us everywhere. And eating good.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: