HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 01:37:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19475 Posts in 1385 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Help on breed!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Topic: Help on breed!  (Read 2833 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »

Are you sure you are looking in the right place?  Her color shouldn't drop that dramatically with one missed vitamin dose ( at least I don't think so). With her gradual weight gain and activity level you know she is on the right track. Is she eating hay and grain well?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:20:53 PM by Julie H » Logged
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »

I think I am...pull the bottom eye lid down? We are feeding her ADM Goat Pellets with Calf Mana and minerals mixed in. She doesn't eat a lot of hay. She munches on leaves and weeds almost all day. I noticed just a bit ago that she has diarrhea now and her jaw looks a little swollen not bad. (It's pretty runny...sorry gross I know.) The others in her pen seem to be just fine and took off running when we went to get them up to feed. But she was moving slower. I felt sorry for her and carried her in. I didn't see any worms in her potty...

I am at a loss with her. My daughter is crazy about her and spoils her more than any of the others. Do you ya'll recommend a vet trip again?
After we took her the last time we were told by several people that the vet we found says everything that comes to see him need selenium(which is what he told us about Annabelle). But we don't have much choices on vets here.

We have small medical supply at the house. We have B-12, RedCell, LA-200, Iron shots, Probiotics, SafeGuard, Equimax, Baby vitamins ...if there's something you recommend that we do not have, we will do our best to get it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »

Well now we do have to work pretty quickly with her.  Your baby has bottle jaw, which is caused by the Barber Pole worm.  The barber pole worm is relatively easy to kill off, but it's secondary illness of Anemia is the worlds worst to cure. 

Cydectin Sheep/Goat Drench...give 1cc per 11lbs of body weight once daily for 3 days.
Probiotics and Bcomplex is required, as well as we're going to have to boost the iron supplements now.  Oh man, I hate this because I can't see this baby, I don't know how much you were giving of the infant baby vitamins w/iron, I don't know how well she was responding before to the vitamins, and we can surely overdose her and kill her with this if we aren't careful and I seriously do not trust the iron injections, I've seen those kill within 15 to 20 minutes after giving the injection.  If you do the iron injection on this baby, do NOT do more than 1/2 to 1cc on her.  An adult goat only gets 2cc's.  Be careful with this.  Lets switch her to the geritol tonic (geritol liquid), and dose her 1cc twice daily, and take her off the vitamins w/iron.  We can give her some Slippery Elm (you can get that at Walmart in the pharmacy section), or pepto, or keopectate, or psyllium or canned pumpkin for her diarrhea.  No grain, no grasses, no forage until that diarrhea is cleared up.  Electrolyte water and Dry hay is all she's going to get.  Calf manna if over fed can cause massive diarrhea too.  So be careful how much you're giving her of that.

I don't know what's going on at your place, except there's been some nasty worms brought into your land.  We need to treat every one on your farm.  No matter if they are sick or not.  We need to get this worm problem under control.  We need to get them on fresh clean dirt as well.  Then go back and treat the land that they were on with some good D.E. once a week for a month or so.  We gotta get this baby girl back feeling well again.  She's been long enough now that she should have been better. 

Keep in contact with us, letting us know how she's doing.  Just in case you need one of us, ask whom ever you wish for their phone numbers, try to get two people, so that if you don't get quick answers here, you can call one of us and get answers.  I say two people, because if one doesn't answer then the other might.  Every one here is usually willing and able to help whenever they can.  I gotta tell ya, I am worried about your baby now. 

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2016, 05:18:46 AM »

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/cydectin-oral-sheep-drench

This is that dewormer I suggested to you.  It's the best cydectin to use on goats.  again 1cc per 11lbs of body weight, once daily for 3 days.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2016, 07:12:41 AM »

I was giving 2mL of the baby vitamins once daily. I will have my husband pick up the Geritol on his way home from work and we will start that this afternoon. Most of our local feed stores are closed on Mondays. UGGGGG....I there's one a couple hours away that's open. I will call them as soon as they open and see if they have any of the Cydectin.

Do I need to move Annabelle by herself until she's better?

We only have 2 others in the pen with Annabelle. They are also the only 3 we let out by the pond.(Does that area need treated also? It's a pretty good sized area.) Our pens are just goat panels so they wouldn't be too hard to move. Do we need to move all the pens or just the one that Annabelle is in? All the pens are connected just separated by panels.

I'm a teacher so I am home all the time right now thank goodness that will allow me to keep a close eye on Sweet Annabelle. I wish I knew what I was doing better. Goodness...if we lived closer I would bring our baby right over! My daughter is only 6 and a half but smart beyond her years on life and death. Not sure if I should tell her how sick Annabelle is or not. She has spent her entire summer messing with her goats and I know she's already worried about Annabelle.

Thank you again for all your help. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »

You can also buy the regular "Quest" horse dewormer.  I just had one of my FF does show up with bottle jaw over the 4th of July weekend.  I dosed her as per her body weight 3 days in a row and will follow it up with another dose in 10 days. I have Cydectin on hand , but opted to go with the Quest. I am giving Redcell daily.

You will notice the facial swelling will increase at late day and be gone in the morning. This is normal and will eventually stop in a few days after treatment.  I have never seen worms in the manure with BP Worm issues.

Worms are getting harder to battle and you are taking great care with her. This is something she probably came in with , but it is something you will need to watch for in all your goats now.  My climate is prime for BP Worm and it is something I battle every year, despite doing all I can to stop it.  Keeping their grazing area from getting short helps.  My goats tend to want to eat in places they have already grazed short, but I have large pastures so not much I can do but rotate them.

I have 20 breeding does and only a few over the years have ever had the BP Worm.  All have been exposed because they are in a herd situation, but it seems that the majority of them don't succumb to them.  I have never had a baby or yearling show up with it at all.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:03:21 PM by Julie H » Logged
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »

Cydectin has been given to everyone here. I hope it works...that stuff costs a small fortune! My husband wasn't able to find Geritol in town. The pharmacy gave him something that they said was the same as Geritol. But its for babies and toddlers and has no iron (I don't think they knew what he wanted.).

If I give the Redcell (since we have it), how much and how often?

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »

No, that geritol won't work...so don't give it.

I don't use the Redcell, but I'd think if we start with 1cc twice daily, that would be a good starting point.  Maybe someone who uses it will chime in here and respond the proper dosage.

Yes, Cydectin Sheep drench is expensive, but it will last you a long time.  You want to give her that once daily for 3 doses.  Watch her rumination...if she stops ruminating that's where the real work begins.  There are ways to get her ruminating again, but you'll have to have a horse to get fresh hot (straight from the horse, as it comes out) manure, take it home, put it in boiling hot water and let it dissolve, and then run it through cheese cloth or strain it to remove any debris.  Then you'll have to drench her with that liquid (cooled off of course @ 1 pint per drenching), at least once and maybe 3 times (once daily), to get her ruminating again.  Now, Dragonlair says to use a very dark beer (opened and gone flat), and drench them with that.  It did help my Prince, but my hubby had to do it, since I get sick at just the smell of beer.  You could try that first if you don't have a horse around to get the manure from, but this I know for fact works great with goats who have bottle jaw and issues of anemia.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »

I give Redcell 4ml ( or cc) once daily.
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »

Thank you once again for your help. I can feel her rumination and saw her chewing cud a couple times today. Her's seemed harder to find than on the other girls. But she is bloated again. I have given her a dose of B12 and Probiotics for the last 2 mornings. She has had 2 doses of Cydectin and 1 dose of Redcell. Her potty is looking better but not great yet. She was slower to get up today but slowly followed us around. Her jaw didn't look swollen this afternoon. She's still voicing her opinion when we aren't close. Hopefully, tomorrow will look better for our sweet Annabelle.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2016, 05:00:05 AM »

Julie is that 4cc's for an adult goat or a baby goat?  Remember this is a baby goat.  So I just want to make sure we aren't overdosing this baby.

Thank you once again for your help. I can feel her rumination and saw her chewing cud a couple times today. Her's seemed harder to find than on the other girls. But she is bloated again. I have given her a dose of B12 and Probiotics for the last 2 mornings. She has had 2 doses of Cydectin and 1 dose of Redcell. Her potty is looking better but not great yet. She was slower to get up today but slowly followed us around. Her jaw didn't look swollen this afternoon. She's still voicing her opinion when we aren't close. Hopefully, tomorrow will look better for our sweet Annabelle.

Takara, when you say she's "slower to get up and slowly following."  Tell me, have you pulled her grain and forage/grazing from her?  She should be on nothing more than electrolyte water and dry hay.  Is the diarrhea gone or still there?  In this heat, a baby with diarrhea is a bad thing.  We need to make absolutely sure she is drinking and if she's not we need to drench her with at least a 1/2 pint to a pint of fluids every hour.  We can give her some pepto or keopectate for the diarrhea, but I highly suggest when this is all over that you hop online and order some slippery Elm bark...a little of that goes a long way and the goats love it.  A bag of that has gone me over 7 years now.  It's worth every cent you pay for it.

You can give her a little cooked oatmeal if you want and when I say a little it's like 1/4th cup to a 1/2 cup, twice daily.  Try putting some banana in it, just a little banana, maybe one slice.  A little Molasses (which is natural in iron) will help. 

When you get the chance, please order some Bcomplex.  Bcomplex is different than B12, and in my personal opinion the bcomplex works better.  There is another one that I am using now, and have been for the past few years, it's called Maxi B-1000...it's way higher in the b vitamins than the complex even, and it's given every other day instead of every day and it works pretty dog gone good for sure.

~ Birdie ~
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:03 AM »

I gave her 2 cc of the RedCell last night just to be safe.
I checked her just a bit ago and she got up much quicker and came to me. (We put her with the 2 she has always been with last night. They were all going nuts. They do not have any grain out yet and are still in their pens.) I didn't see her potty this morning but her bottom looked cleaner. Yesterday it was wasn't running out of her but looked more like cow poop. She is refusing to eat much hay. She keeps looking at the trees and bawling (she is awful). She has been up by our house in our dog pen(grass free). We have let her out in the driveway (that's were she was following us) and for reasons beyond me Addysyn had her in the sandy area were we are building our pool. We did give her some blackberry leaves. She is drinking a lot of Electrolyte water (She loves it.). Addysyn has been using a syringe and feeding it to her too. 

How many days can I give B12 or Bcomplex(If I can get my hands on some quickly.)? Today will be her third dose of B12.
TaKara
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »

Score for Sweet Annabelle! She had pellets this morning! I am going to keep her up until she goes a couple more times just to be sure before I let her out. She refused the oatmeal but stuck her nose in my yogurt and acted like it was tasty. I guess that's what I get for eating breakfast with her. Her jaw doesn't look swollen at all and she has been up bawling her head off since we went outside.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

Julie is that 4cc's for an adult goat or a baby goat?  Remember this is a baby goat.  So I just want to make sure we aren't overdosing this baby.

I have only given to adult goats.  Sorry I should have clarified that. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »

You want to do 4 days on the b12 and 2 to 4 days off and then back on again for another 4 days.  If you use the Maxi B-1000 that's only given every other day for a maximum of 4 doses.  The diarrhea can still come back, so keep her off a full grazing/foraging, and grain portion...we need to work her back onto that stuff slowly.  Meaning cut her some forage, not much mind you, maybe a small handful.  Give her a 1/4th of the grain portion she is use to getting.  Work her slowly back by not doing any increases for 5 days.  If she shows in her stool that the increase is bothering her, then reduce it back to what you were giving and give it a few more days before you increase again.  This is important to keep her stomach from being all messed up again. 

Thanks for clarifying that Julie...I do appreciate that.  I have known others to use 4 to 6cc's per large breed adult goat, and I've known some to give 5cc's twice daily.  I don't use it, so I can't be positive on that. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: