HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  I hate this
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: I hate this  (Read 695 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: July 04, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »

My area ran out of hay in May. My hay dealer included. I have been getting it where I can (mostly from a fellow goat owner. We have been swapping goats back and forth for a few years now). Finally my dealer started haying last week, so I am now getting fresh baled hay, earlier cut than usual. Up here you usually can't cut and cure hay until mid to late July, so the nutrition isn't always great.

So, I was advised that the hay price of going from 55.00 for 2 bales delivered to $40.00 per bale, delivered. That means my hay cost will be going up $60.+ a month! I can barely afford the $110. every 20 days, now it's going to be 160.00 every 20 days, or roughly 240.00 a month.

So, I am going to have to sell some of my adult does. I hate this part of farming. The kids I am ok with having to sell. I know I can't keep them all, so I know from the start that they will be leaving as soon as they are weaned. However, these does are supposed to be here until they die of old age...not until I have to sell them because of hay prices. I decide one needs to leave and then I look at her and can't bring myself to do it. All are pretty equal in milk production. Most are pretty equal in body type when compared to breed standards. Most were raised here, some have had family here for generations.

I just don't know what to cull.  Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:47:31 AM »

This is the most difficult of all choices and decisions when being a farmer.  I know how it feels.  I wish you could get hay cheaper else where.  Maybe it's just your hay guy that went up.  Check with other hay producers and see if they are going up also.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:00:04 AM »

It is going to  get worse, I am afraid!!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »

I am so sorry. 

I wish we were close to you as we should have extra to sell.  We are actually dropping our price by $5 a bale this year.  Not because of the quality but because my husband just feels $30 for an 800 pound 4X5 is just too much. Our neighbor buys 130 from us each year.

Prices have really gotten out of hand and in this part of the country it is all due to the drought the lower midwest went through several years ago when they flooded the cattle market because of it. Hay prices went crazy and some people are trying to keep that trend going!

I think of downsizing myself and know I will after next years kid crop, but looking at my girls I have no idea who I would let go of.  Like you they were all born here and the older ones are 8 and still giving me nice kids.

I hope you can find a cheaper hay supplier so you can keep your girls.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »

All hay sellers charge the same price. I don't have anyone closer who can deliver the hay. Right now it's 40.00 a bale, I'm guessing maybe 400 pounder is what I am getting. Some others a re bigger but I can't stack them on top of my Subaru.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »

Wow, our large bales are around 1100lbs, for $25. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:49:57 AM »

600-800 lb bales here costs 35.00 to 50.00 per bale.  Back home we baled 2000lb bales for 35.00, and 1200lb bales for 25.00.  They were both 5x6's and 4x5's.  I liked the 4x5's best myself.  Livestock seemed to clean them up before they got soiled or spoiled.  We put a 2800lb lift on our tractor to be able to handle the 2000 lb bales.

Small square mixed grass bales here...probably about 35 to 40lb bales, 5.00 to 6.00 per bale off the farmer, but out of the feed stores they can run as high as 8.00 per bale and alfalfa, you can forget that, it's a 30lb bale for $20.00.

I gotta go get hay either late this week or early next week.  Down to my last 2 bales now.  I'm going to see if I can get the 6.00 bales from that guy further away.  My goats ate his hay and didn't waste too much of it.  His is fertilized and limed every year and for the most part I found no weeds in it.  His hay is also protein tested, and the soil tested each year as well.  My other guy, he bales a lot of hay, and is the nicest guy you'll ever meet, but his hay began to have too much thistle in it, and we just sprayed and killed all the thistle off our place (getting pastures ready to bring fattening calves in), and to have it as thick as it was in his hay, means I'll be doing it all over again in short order.  We fought it for 3 years, and finally have it all under control.  I can't risk it.  He use to fertilize his pastures and take good care of them, but now, not so much.  He's a dollar cheaper on his hay bales, but if I have to spend more money to kill thistle or spend 20 minutes picking thistle out of a bale and pray I got it all, it isn't worth it to me.  My goats loved his hay before all this thistle showed up in it, and now they waste more of his hay than they actually eat.

Deb is there a way you could put a trailer hitch on your Subaru and maybe find a small trailer you can borrow to go get the hay yourself?  I use to do that before we got our tractor.  I'd have them put it in the back end of my truck and I used a 2x4 to roll it off my truck when I got home.  We were pretty small at the time, just the few pygmy goats and a few head of fattening calves, and some chickens.  So it wasn't like I needed a huge amount of hay.  I rolled it off into my barn, and we flipped it on it's side and rolled the hay off with hay forks and I put it in my dump wagon and fed it out to the animals that way.  Even when we got our tractor/bale spears, I still used large rounds in the barn and unrolled it for the goats.  The cows and horses, they got large rounds in the round hay feeders.

I know those single axle trailers are selling pretty cheap now.  I bought my 6 x 10 for 1250.00 brand new.  But I'm noticing in the area listing, they are selling pretty decent used trailers for 400.00 to 500.00.  I could use another small trailer for sure, but I need a new tractor trailer first. hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »

I feed all my animals by hand off the round bales.

Seems like once a hay provider knows what the going rate is they all charge the same.  Like the gas stations!  My neighbor in MN sold me huge 1200# bales for $25 they year everyone else doubled their prices.  The guy across the road was selling me his for $17 and then wanted $45 for a round so light I could flip it myself  Angry  I told him no thanks.  My animals loved his grass hay but not at that price.

If you can find a way I would try to get the biggest bales you can find( if they all charge the same).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:22:53 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

The way my driveway is, you can't get a trailer into it and then get it out again. My poor car is on it's last legs (tires) so I doubt it would handle a trailer very well. There are not many hay dealers around me any more, most put up baleage. The girl I got it from before my hay guy baled again only has enough for herself. Because we had a really good spring, she was able to get her animals out to pasture sooner than normal.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 04:54:22 AM »

I'm calling today to see if I can get hay from this last guy I got hay from...hopefully he has a second cut by now.  I'm planning on buying up for the winter when I go.  Around 50 bales or so.  Sounds like a heck of a lot of hay for 3 goats, but I do feed hay all year round, and last years drought caused a lot of people to be short on hay, so I was lucky to get what I got when I got it for sure. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 10:36:58 AM »

I feed year round hay too. No grazing/browsing here at all. I do brig them weeds and downed branches, but that is about the extent of their browsing. Sad

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 06:14:50 AM »

If I go cut the browse/forage for them, they have plenty of that and do eat less hay, but on "my" land that's getting in short supply.  I have had these goats here on this property for 3 almost 4 years, and I tell ya, there's not much left out there.  It was taking me 2 hours to go through and cut short saplings and undergrowth to have enough for an hours worth of eating.  Then after that TIA, I decided to stop cutting forage on our land.  So every now and again, our neighbor offers up some to me and I run and go cut that.  But basically they have tons of Argentina Bahia in their pastures, and all the hay they can eat, and their grain twice a day.  So they aren't starving. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »

Even with abundant pasture/ browse my goats still eat about 1/3 of what they do when they are dry lotted for winter.  Of course I do have 24 3 month old kids eating now too and eat they do!!

Did you guys have success getting your hay??   

Is that 50 round bales Birdie??   That is a lot because I feed probably 60 a year and I have a Jersey cow, calf 2 horses and 20 adult does eating that!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:43:38 AM »

Oh gosh no Julie...that is square bales.  I am buying that many fearful of the drought again.  I like to never found hay this spring when the first cut of hay was just a few weeks out from being baled.  I was extremely lucky to find what I did, and I returned to him to buy more even though it is a dollar a bale higher, my goats ate more of it and had much less waste from his hay and it's the second cut hay, so I want to stock pile that while I have a chance to do so.

Down here, good hay is terrible hard to find.  It's nothing like the hay back in Missouri, or in Arkansas.  Back there, we had good rich beautifully green hay, but down here, it's not like that at all.

In AR, we had 103 head of goats, at one time 7 head of horses, 4 cows w/calves at their sides, 17 fat calves, 25 head of chickens, and typically 2 hogs to feed year round.  Hogs, and fat calves went to slaughter, calves off our cows went for herd replacement stock, and of course the goats, they never got slaughtered, but we sold off the farm for breeding stock. 

Yep I do know how much hay you can go through...I put 75 large round bales up that weighed 2000lbs each...one year we put 100 bales up for winter feeding.  That's when we had our own hay land.  I miss those days.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »

I thought it was squares, but that doesn't sound like much for winter.  Are they the 100 pound bales??

We are just finishing up the last of our hay.  It is such a headache with the storms rolling through because you never know what each day will bring because they keep changing the forecast day by day!  We would have just brush hogged it down but our neighbor wants to buy it all and it is still surprisingly good even this late.

Nothing is easy( buying or selling).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: