HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2018, 07:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20251 Posts in 1451 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  I hate this
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: I hate this  (Read 769 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:52 AM »

That's way more than I need.  Remember I just have the 2 girls and Prince.  So three goats and 50 bales of hay (weighing about 55lbs or so, probably a tad heavier), going a bale per week...that's about all I need since in the summer they don't go through a bale a week, typically a bale every 2 weeks with the forage and grazing.  They are fat as mud right now.  Several folks ask "Are they pregnant?"...  Grin  The girls are getting a half of cup of feed twice a day and that's all they get and they are still fat as mud.

We typically start baling down here around April/early May...but we got that 100 year flood (17+ inches of rain in less than 24 hours), and that threw every one off spring baling.  We are getting storms (short lived but some are very violent with lightening) every day.  Yesterday, we got about a 30 minute storm that dumped more rain than the storm the day before that lasted 2 hours.  Then that sun comes out and it gets hot, and I do mean hot.  Temp might be 96, but index feels like 110 or more.  You can't breathe the humidity is so heavy.  I'm watching for heat strokes and exhaustion in this weather.  Putting out electrolyte water to all the animals.  Changing water 3 times a day. 

If you all get what we've been getting down here, you have a few more days of these pop up rain storms.  We're not suppose to get rain today, so I'm going to try and get some grass mowed.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »

Hey Pam, do you not have containers with floats, for the water source?  The changing of water 3 times a day would get old very quickly.  I can't get mine to drink water with ACV.  The humidity is so bad here, and I run a water line to barn, the pastures, with black plastic to a frost free faucet, with a float to control level of water. I don't see how you have time for all that you do.  I am having to feed more Noble/Alfalfa pellets then usual do to dry pastures.  I am cutting privy hedge daily for the forage. The feed makes them too fat.  I have to decide upon large bales, or easier  handling, small bales (now 7.50 a bale), and if no second cutting, will go higher. The large bale have doubled in price, when you can find them.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: