HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 12:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  What to feed for shows?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: What to feed for shows?  (Read 303 times)
beginnergoater
Bottle Babies

« on: July 08, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »

Well the local county fair is in a few days, and I'm doing my best to get prepared.  Does anyone have any tips on feeding the day before/morning of the show, this is my first show with goats and I'm worried about them being bloated.  I'm bringin one market wether and two breeding does(all were born in Jan.)  All of them are high percentage boer,  thanks!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:46:56 AM »

I'm not a show person myself...but I would think you would want to keep them off foraging and grazing to prevent the filling of the rumen and thus making them appear bloated.  Fresh hay and their grain meals would probably be best.

One of the other members will be here to answer you that does show and they can help you through this.  Good luck at the show, and please let us know how you and your goats do.  Have fun and stay safe.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »

Hmm, I don't do anything different. Some folks limit the hay.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »

When I showed, I used to feed soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets with a limited amount of hay the morning of their class, same as when I showed my dairy girls. They looked well fed but not fat.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »

I never did anything different when my kids showed 4-H.  My goats and sheep back then were on pasture 24/7 with hay available all the time.  I never remember them being bloated looking.  I do agree with the others that if anything is going to give them that bloated look it is fresh pasture/ browse and I would take them off the night before a show.

Good luck!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: