HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:54:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  One of my does
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: One of my does  (Read 757 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: July 09, 2016, 11:54:41 AM »

Last year I was given 4 very expensive does because they were CAE+. The girl paid quite a bit for them as bottle kids, they are from some top farms and breeding. Three are Nubians and 1 is a Lamancha.

Well, I just got an email from the former owner. It seems the Lamanchas dam just placed 9th at the Nationals in her class. That means she  placed that high out of 200+ does! To say I am tickled to death doesn't begin to describe it. WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 02:19:02 PM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »

Wow what an accomplishment! The pride is just oozing from your post. Cool
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »

Wow!  They must be some nice goats!   I am surprised they gave them to you?  Couldn't they just plan to pull the kids at birth & bottle feed, to stop the continuation of CAE down the line?

What are your plans for the does??
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »

The owner was too afraid of birthing blood and milk contaminating the stalls and ground so other does would pick it up. Plus she had a 100% CAE free farm, she can't keep advertising that if she had 4 that tested positive.

My plans are to pull the kids at birth. I missed the Lamancha this year, she kidded a week early. So, I will keep her 2 doelings and do the same with them.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »

Now wait a minute...they were bottle babies when they were given to her.  I don't understand this...CAE is only contagious through the milk...I do believe I'm correct with that, but correct me if I'm wrong.  I'll lay odds those two babies aren't CAE+.

I'm happy you have them though, and that is an amazing accomplishment for the Momma Doe.

Deb, if you run a CAE negative farm, why not test those babies before you pull them? 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »

That was my understanding too that it was passed from mother to kid by nursing only? of course I have zero experience with it.   Maybe the breeders didn't catch them before they had a chance to nurse?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »

She bought these does as week old kids. They came form a CAE- farm. However, what she didn't know was one of her does she had bought the previous year who was supposed to be CAE- turned out to be CAE+. The kids were raised on pooled milk from her herd, so all 4 became positive because of it. She learned a lesson, don't take anyones word for CAE status- make sure you see the test results.

These are definitely CAE+, she had them tested twice as long yearlings

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: