HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  when can you re-introduce a doeling after weaning?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: when can you re-introduce a doeling after weaning?  (Read 450 times)
Goshen goaties
Bottle Babies

« on: July 17, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »

Hey everyone! Quick question.  I have weaned some baby's off their mama, and I have to decided to keep the doeling.  I am milking the mama, and wondered when I could return the doeling without her going back to drinking the mama's milk?  I baby sat a friends dairy goat for a week and when she returned, her baby's started nursing again right away.  Any helpful hints?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »

I leave the doelings I keep with their mothers until it is time to rebreed ( about 6-7 months old and some are still nursing at that time).  Then I pull them and put them in a separate place while the Buck is here, which is usually about 2 months.  I have never had any nursing happen when I returned them to the herd again, even when they share a fence line while weaning. I do grain them well to make up for the absence of milk.  It seems to help.

The only difference is your doe is still in milk and will be when baby is returned. I do know one week apart is not anywhere near long enough!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:36:10 AM »

Since your momma is a dairy goat, as long as you are milking her, she's going to stay in milk.  There are those Does that will stop producing milk after a period of time, but most Dairy breeds will continue as long as you milk them.  You may not be able to put the daughter back with mother for a long while.  How old is baby?  How long has baby been away from momma? 

~ Birdie ~
Goshen goaties
Bottle Babies

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »

The baby is just over 3 months old. I have had her and her brother separated for a week or so now.  I am selling her brother as a weather, so I didn't want her to get lonely.  I meant to separate them a long time ago at least for part of the time so that I could milk incest day, but the proper fencing just got finished....Ahh too much fencing this year!  I will sure be glad when that is finished.  I guess I will be weaning some others soon, but I am selling all of them too.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »

Can you just hold another doeling for a while before selling so she has company?  I always keep more than 1 every year.  Makes it easy.
Goshen goaties
Bottle Babies

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »

Well, I guess I didn't think this one out too good,  Huh?.  When I wean the others, she will at least have company for awhile.  I really wasn't planning on keeping any of the kids in the first place, but she is such a nice mannered and good looking goat, we couldn't resist Wink.   Thanks for your responses. Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 04:57:11 AM »

Well it's ok...you don't want to wean too young for sure.  You could possibly put her back with mom after you've milked.  3 months is a little young to wean.  I know down here they are weaning babies at 6 and 8 weeks old and I can't tell you how many babies I've had in that are sick and dying due to it.  4 months is the typical normal weaning age...so I think you've done ok so far.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »

A lot of does will let their kids nurse even when they kids are as big as mom. I have to completely separate the kids from mom and not put them back in until she has been dry for a month or better. Almost all of my does will not wean the kids themselves.

I start weaning my kids at 8 weeks of age. If they are sold, they can leave at 8 weeks if they are eating and drinking, later if they are not. Never lost a kid, they all thrive. If I am retaining them, they stay with mom (unless they are bucks) until I dry the moms up for kidding.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: