HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 01:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  The kids are here!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: The kids are here!  (Read 960 times)
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« on: August 03, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »

Hello good people  Smiley
Our kids have arrived  Grin
I know it is a lot earlier than is ideal to wean in most cases but I had to be led by the breeder who wanted to deliver them.
Thankfully they do appear to be fully weaned and are eating well and doing the right things so far.

I have many questions. Smiley
Firstly regarding feeding. They are eating grass and leaves fallen from the trees above, I  have grass hay available but they seem uninterested in this. Should I offer a higher quality hay or just let them be with grass and leaves?

I have vaccinated them with 5 in 1. Not sure if thats what you guys use in the U.S.
They have been wormed once with panacur, a popular drench over here.
So i will continue with a worming schedule.
I have divided my land into two paddocks but plan to divide to 3 with a week spent in each.
Any advice greatly appreciated and I will post updated photos soon.
 Smiley
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:36 PM »

Hoowee they have arrived!
How old are they & how long have you had them?
I'm not familiar with your 5 & 1, is part of it CDT?
As for worming, they will need to be hit again with your panacur at least one more time about 10 days from the initial dose.
As for a schedule. it is best to not have a set one, you only worm when they need it; do vets do fecals over there?
Leave them some grass hay, they will eventually try it out. Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:43:59 AM »

Congratulations...happy to hear they have arrived safe and sound and settling in.  If they want the forage, that's way better for them than the hay at this time of the year.  If they have little forage, maybe you can find some woodland close by and cut them some limbs so they can eat the leaves.  That's what I have to do here for our goats.  They ate all the forage in their pastures, so now I go cut it for them.

Panacur over here in the U.S. has been way over used.  Panacur and Safeguard are the very same wormers, but I believe that Panacur is a better wormer than Safeguard.  Panacur and Safeguard over here is dosed, 1cc per 10lbs of body weight, given once daily for 5 days.  Giving one dose is like giving a dose of water.  It really doesn't do any good to give just one dose.  Eventually you will need a stronger wormer than Panacur.  Panacur and Safeguard only kills Hookworms, Pinworms, Roundworms and Tapeworms...eventually you will need to kill the larger worms, such as the stronglyes and Barber Poles...these worms are killers so we will need to find something goat safe, and stronger.  Ivomec, Dectomax, Cydectin...those wormers are stronger than Panacur or Safeguard...they kill those larger worms.

What I'd do if they were my babies is dose them once daily for 5 days with the Panacur...giving them 1cc per 10lbs of body weight.  Watch for shipping fever (which will behave like pneumonia).  The stress of the move, can throw them into shipping fever.  Watch for diarrhea.  That's likely to happen with the stress as well. 

Other than that, ENJOY YOUR NEW BABIES, and please share pictures...I can't wait to see them.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:59:36 AM »

Thanks Pam for being more specific on the panacur it had slipped my mind.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »

Would love to see pictures   Smiley

Are you feeding any grain? If they are a smaller breed I would start at 1/4 cup once daily.  I always grain my weaned kids. Once they settle in they will start eating the hay.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »

Yeah, if they are just weaned and still young, they will need energy and calories to grow that browse and hay just don't have enough of.

Congrats on your new babies!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »

Yeah, if they are just weaned and still young, they will need energy and calories to grow that browse and hay just don't have enough of.

Congrats on your new babies!!!!!!

Agreed!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »

Yes, I agree with the others, a little grain won't hurt a thing...such as the 1/4th cup twice a day (and of course increasing that as they grow--mini breeds I like to give a 1/2 to 3/4 cup twice daily at full growth, and large breeds depending on the breed, I give 1 cup to 3 cups twice daily---some goats, you have to adjust per their ability to maintain proper weight)...it does help them to grow and flourish.  Plus the protein amount that they require is a minimum of 14% digestible protein...grass, hay and forage does not give them that.  I feed ours a sweet horse "grain"...some feed stores call it's textured feed.  I top it with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (aka BOSS)...just a few kernels works great.  Goat mineral is a must (preferably loose mineral, not a mineral block). 

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »

Yeah right now I have a 3 mo old who I hardly ever see eating hay with the rest. She is small for her age. She just recently decided to eat grain with her mama.
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »

Thanks to you all!

Nancy- they are around 9 weeks old and have been with us fo 1 week now.
Good advice re worming Smiley I'm sure our vets would do the faecal testing, will look into it.
Is CDT tetanus, if yes then our 5 in 1 covers that.

Birdie- Thanks for your advice also.
I did notice some looser poo for a day or so but seems to be well formed again now.
I am surprised at how relaxed they seem in their new home, they haven't once cried out for their mum.

Julie and dragonlair- Thanks, I will do as you suggested with the grain. I have a specially mixed goat muesli which they have started eating.

Very proud goat dad here Cool

Thanks again
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 05:48:31 AM »

Sounds like it's going well.  Very happy to hear that.  You're going to really enjoy these two.  Spoil them while you can, they don't stay babies very long.  laugh

~ Birdie ~
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »

Thanks Birdie.
They do seem to be doing well.

I wondered what you guys thought.
They are eating grass well and have taken a real shine to their grain in the evening, calling out and coming up to the fence for it.
Still not interested in the grass hay.
Should I get some better lucerne hay or just leave the grass hay?
I just want to be sure they are getting what they need.
I also have a goat mineral lick in their shelter.
Will look into loose minerals later.
Thanks
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 05:34:13 AM »

Can you up the grain feedings?  Say feed them morning and night?  It's the protein factor I'm concerned about.  This is why we give a little grain, to make up for the protein they don't get from captivity.  You don't have to feed a lot each feeding, but a little helps to maintain that hungry feeling.

Our goats are eating both hay, forage, and grasses, but more grasses and forage than the hay.  That's typical of goats to do when the grasses and forage are lush and green.  I wouldn't worry too much unless they aren't eating enough grasses or forage.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »

I used to feed a grass/ alfalfa mix that my goats loved and did really well on, I miss not having it now .  We grew and baled it ourselves so I never ran out.  If you go with alfalfa make sure you can always get it ( or stock up ).

Is your grass hay is good quality? If it is then they are probably getting so full from grass/forage they just aren't hungry. The only thing with adding alfalfa is they will eat the alfalfa and turn their nose up at the grass hay  Grin

If they look nice and full I wouldn't be concerned.  Just put a little hay out and keep it fresh each day. If they can lay on it, or walk on it they will not eat it--even if it still looks perfect Sad
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 02:55:33 AM »

Thanks for that. I think they are fine after watching yhem a few more days.
They are eating plenty of grass and forage.
I think I'll just continue with the evening's grain for now.
Good point Julie about them turning their nose up at grass hay if better is offered. I will stick with the grass hay.
I have noticed the doe's horns are growing back but are loose.
The whether looks like he may grow one horn.
I am thinking of getting him re done but under anesthetic. What do you guys think,
Its disappointing that they weren't de budded properly Angry
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: