HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 01:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19475 Posts in 1385 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  The kids are here!
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: The kids are here!  (Read 1087 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 05:43:16 AM »

Anesthetic, is hard on goats.  They don't rebound well from it.  You can have them re-done as long as the horn buds are loose and not stationary. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:37 PM »

I had a buck who somehow had his horn ripped 1/2 off.  Vet put him under to remove and tend to the wound it left behind.  If I remember right he did it about 10:30 am.  That buck never even stirred until 5pm and he was not right for hours afterward .  Scared me to death.  When I called my vet he said he gave him less than he would normally give.

For just disbudding as hard as it is, just go without.  Maybe you can use a topical to help with pain? 
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:40 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley
I took him to the vet who is going to use the iron on him again but would only do it with an aesthetic.
So he is there now, i I pray he will be fine.
I have to say I am happy he won't feel the actual burning.
Will keep you posted  Smiley
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 03:57:23 AM »

Good news Abe is back home.  Smiley
 It all went well and he was eating grass and had his grain before I  locked them up for the night.
He has a bandage around his head which the vet wants to stay on for 2 days unless he scratches it off.
He had antibiotics and long lasting pain relief.
He seems quite happy and his sister is very happy he is home. She's been crying out and looking for him all day.
Good result so far  Smiley

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 05:52:47 AM »

Wow, I'm real glad to hear he did well with that.  The trick is, to not put them too far under, and give them a recover shot after you're finished.  Some require more than one recover shot.  Yeah, his poor head will hurt for a good long while.  I'm sure you'll give him all the TLC he needs.  I do hope your Vet gave him a tetanus shot as well.  I demand those before they do any type of surgery or any thing where broken skin is involved.  Tetanus is the worlds worst thing to happen to any animal.  My Vets think I'm crazy, oh well, better safe than sorry. hahaha.  Wink

~ Birdie ~
Gruff
Bottle Babies

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »

He has had his first tetanus as part of the 5in1 vaccine and will have another shot in 2 weeks.
 Smiley
Poor little fella, meg was so happy to see him all she wants to do is play head butting, Abe isn't so keen understandably  Roll Eyes
He seems happy enough and is eating well.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 04:22:09 AM »

awww...poor baby.  That does hurt.  That's why I stopped doing it.  I just can't stand inflicting pain on them like that.  He'll heal pretty quick, and all will be well before you know it.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: