HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 05:08:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Top Models (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Elaina & Opal
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Elaina & Opal  (Read 785 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: August 08, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »

Elaina  is 12 years old.  I bought her  in 2006 when she didn't get bred when exposed to the buck her previous owner had.  I decided to give her a chance and in the Spring of 2008 she gave me triplets and continued to give me trips until 2013, 2014 when she had twins and then in 2015, 2106 she had single kids.

ELAINA

Her daughter this year 3 1/2 months old. I am keeping her Roll Eyes

OPAL

dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »

Can't count those old girls out! Way to go Elaina!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »

Wow, she's pretty awesome that girl.  Can't blame you for keeping Opal...she is very pretty.  Sometimes a lot of good care and TLC, can make all the difference in these girls when they breed.  Good job Julie.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »

She is still thinner than I would like ( especially her topline) but Opal is huge, so I know where the calories are going.  She gets 3 cups grain morning & evening and that is the most she will consume. She is special  Smiley

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:41 AM »

My Prince is the same way right now.  After that last bout' of sickness, I can't get the weight back on him.  He's getting 3 cups of grain morning and night, all the hay he wants (which is the best hay I've had since I've lived down here), and he's got plenty of forage (that I cut for him daily), and green grasses to chew on...but I tell ya, he's all bones.  If someone saw him, that didn't know what all he gets, they'd turn me in for starving him to death. 

Your girl is old Julie, and though she is nursing a baby, that does bring her down, but this time she may not regain body weight enough to breed again.  You may need to consider retiring her. 

I'll have to get some pictures of Prince, but I am totally ashamed of the way he looks.  Which sickens me to my very core to see him this way.  But he's 13 and 1/2 yrs old now.  I keep telling myself, we're going on borrowed time.  He's been wormed good, and the fecal showed clean.  He's been copper bolus'd and he's ok on selenium, so past that...I've upped his protein amount, and praying that he'll gain some weight back.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »

I hope Prince does gain some weight back Birdie.  I know with Luna & Emily it was so draining for me to see them on a daily basis and knowing no matter what they just weren't responding.  I was glad we weren't right on the road because someone would call animal control on me.

Elaina will have several months off nursing before I bring a new buck in.  She weans her kids pretty quickly and it should be soon for her.  She is one goat who will live her days out here with me no matter what.  She has earned it Wink
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »

Hey, Pam, give ole Prince 3 cups of Purina Noble with some BOSS, and he will get fat, especially twice a day!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 06:07:59 AM »

Charles, isn't Purina Noble a medicated feed?  Prince isn't keen on pelleted feed, and Noble is pelleted right?

Julie, that's exactly what I said about Prince (and Tadpole may he rest in peace).  He will die with me.  He got sick about 6 or 8 months ago, and I couldn't figure out what was making him sick.  He didn't eat any thing for over 2 weeks.  He wouldn't drink any thing either.  I had given him all the med's that I could possibly give him without killing him.  Doubling a lot of them.  I had to drench him 6 to 8 times a day with at least a pint of fluid and sometimes forced almost a gallon on him.  His urine had turned a horrible brown looking and stunk to high heaven.  He stopped chew cud.  He lost a massive amount of weight.  I could not pin point what was really wrong with him.  He got steroids, he got banamine, he got anitbiotics (2 different kinds), he got all the supportive meds (bcomplex, probiotics, vitamin C, a big dose of Vitamin AD&E, and jump start gel)...he was just going down more every day, no matter what I did or tried.  I finally gave up and decided that he has to want to live, he has to want to drink and eat.  And then I saw a banner on FB, posted by a friend of mine,  that said "I don't know who this is for, but God says, Don't give up!" and I took that as a sign and ran to the store and got cucumbers, and other veggies that I know Prince likes.  Lo and behold, he ate those, tiny amounts of course but he ate them.  Slowly, and I do mean slowly, he started eating again.  Dragonlair (Deb) said to give him a flat strong beer.  I can't stand the smell of that stuff, so I had my husband give it to him and he drank that down in a heart beat.  The next day he seemed 20% better.  And each day after that he got better and better.  Now, he eats like a pig but isn't gaining a pound back.  I have upped his protein and fat levels, after this last round of worming (man did I hit him hard with a wormer...figured it was a do or die situation), and now, he seems some better.  Though his fecal before worming showed hardly no worms, nothing to be causing massive weight loss (I keep a strict worming regimen down here), I hit him with double the cydectin that you're suppose to dose.  I dosed 1cc per 5lbs of body weight.  Took a fecal in one week later and it was clean, and clear.  So, I don't know what happened to Prince.  He never did run a body temp, his allergies were bad, but not to the point he couldn't breathe, his teeth are bad, but no worse than before, I couldn't find a thing wrong with him, and that's what puzzled me so much.  That's why I hit him with every thing me and the Vet had.  hahaha.  Right or wrong...he survived it.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »

Gotta love that beer! If i dare to go in the barn with a cup of beer for one of the goats, I get mobbed. And I mean if I were to fall, I would be trampled to death!!!!!!! Grin Those goats LOVE their Guinness!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »

The Purina Noble Goat won't be medicated come the first of the year since there is a new law where you can only get medicated feed by prescription ( i think ??).

Have you tried Calf Manna on Prince??  The pellets are very small it is super high in protein and it takes just a small amount to feed for a goat .  It is pricey at $33 a 50 pound bag, but my milk cow gets a 1/2 lb on top of her feed ration ( morn/eve) and that is the first thing she goes for, pulling the tub away from the calf even so she gets it all Grin.

If you have someone who carries it maybe you can get a sample to try?  Or I could mail you a baggie full!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:31:44 PM by Julie H » Logged
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »

It is all about the bioavailability of ingredients in the kibble, and I forgot he did not like pelleted feed.
 There is the Show feeds that I think come in medicated or not, and perhaps not pelleted.  Purina makes one, and I am sure others offer a quality feed, to gain weight.  Probably not going to happen with sweet feed.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »

I think the sweet feed is doing pretty good actually.  Prince use to weigh 322lbs on this same feed.  The girls weigh, Hanna--185lbs, and Mercy 180lbs...and they only get a 1/2 cup twice daily.  I believe Princes biggest problem is he's 13 and 1/2 yrs old and suffers from terrible allergies (has suffered with them since the day he was born).  It's like me right now...I gained 8lbs and have now lost more than the 8lbs that I gained.  Doc shook his finger at me and said "NO MORE!!", and I shook my finger back at him and said "OK!!!"...hahaha.  I can't gain weight and hold onto it.  So maybe Prince and I are in the same boat. ??  laugh

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 07:34:12 AM »

Hey Pam, sending you and Prince a blessing this morning--- Read Psalms 91, and receive your daily blessing-- Claim the blessing, and believing, jump start your day!!  May God bless your walk in life, and whatever you touch, may prosper.
  I see your are getting a lot or rain your way!!  I wish we had some for my poor pasture-- no hay!

May God bless us all in coming days--
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »

I don't think the cocci meds are included in the ban, it's geared towards antibiotics.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 04:10:01 AM »

Hey Pam, sending you and Prince a blessing this morning--- Read Psalms 91, and receive your daily blessing-- Claim the blessing, and believing, jump start your day!!  May God bless your walk in life, and whatever you touch, may prosper.
  I see your are getting a lot or rain your way!!  I wish we had some for my poor pasture-- no hay!

May God bless us all in coming days--

Thanks Charles...and same right back at you.  Prince is doing fine.  However, I lost Hanna to listeria early Wednesday morning.   Cry Cry  It's been incredibly hard excepting the fact that my healthy happy 3 yr old girl is gone.  A real hard blow to the heart.  Sad Cry Cry

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: