HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:19:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Top Models (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Elaina & Opal
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Elaina & Opal  (Read 673 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 01:18:10 PM »

Hey Pam, sending you and Prince a blessing this morning--- Read Psalms 91, and receive your daily blessing-- Claim the blessing, and believing, jump start your day!!  May God bless your walk in life, and whatever you touch, may prosper.
  I see your are getting a lot or rain your way!!  I wish we had some for my poor pasture-- no hay!

May God bless us all in coming days--

Thanks Charles...and same right back at you.  Prince is doing fine.  However, I lost Hanna to listeria early Wednesday morning.   Cry Cry  It's been incredibly hard excepting the fact that my healthy happy 3 yr old girl is gone.  A real hard blow to the heart.  Sad Cry Cry

Oh No!!

How could she have ever gotten that??  I am so sorry for the loss of your special Hanna Cry Cry Cry Cry
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 06:09:25 AM »

I don't know Julie.  The Vet and I went over every thing they get and eat on, we could find nothing.

Hanna coughed and sneezed 2 times on Sunday afternoon.  We checked her body temp.  103.5.  We doctored her for cold/flu (as a lot of animals down here are getting that with all the flood rains we've had).  Biomycin, Banamine, Maxi B-1000, and probiotics.  A cough and sneeze is all the symptoms she had.  Not another symptom.

On Monday morning, her head was shaking a little.  So I checked her body temp again...104.0....so I thought oh wow, Poisoning...so I hit her again with meds...even harder of course.  Vit. K, Thiamine 20,000mg's to start, then 10,000 mg's every hour after that.  I gave her Maxi B-1000 twice a day instead of every other day, banamine for the body temp.  And probiotics, as well as drenching her with a quart of Electrolytes every hour.

Tuesday, I called the vet out.   Her body temp was 101.5.  I drenched her with some electrolyte water, and an hour later I drenched her with a little weak molasses water and nutria drench but did not give her the other med's, because the Vet was coming out.  He was out on another farm call and my place was next to come to.  Hanna seemed fine, stumbling a little but the head shake wasn't nearly as bad.  By 10am (Vet was due to be here by 11am), Hanna took a terrible turn for the worst.  It was awful to watch.  I called the Vet and asked how soon he would be here that she was getting worse by the minute.  He was on his way then.  By the time he got here (10 minutes), Hanna was down and not doing good at all.  He immediately helped me build a "red neck IV pole", and we got her started on IV's.  She was not dehydrated, thank God for that.  But she was having a hard time swallowing.  Doc hit her with 3 different antibiotics.  Exenel, Exceed, and a massive dose of Penicillin that he put in 4 different areas of her body.  It had to be 60cc's at least.  He gave her the steroid, banamine, thiamine and I do mean a BUNCH of thiamine, and a massive dose of Bcomplex.  We ran 2 units into her.  He helped me build her an ICU pen, and get her bedded down real good.  He was here for 2 hours with her.  He held her head in his lap and petted her and talked to her and said "Hanna, you keep fighting, you can win this."  When he left he gave me more shots to give her, and more IV's to run on her.  He said call me at 5pm and let me know how she's doing.  I called him at 5pm and told him that Hanna had stood up twice on her own, but was really weak and wobbling.  He said that was a good sign and to keep doing what I was doing.  He said if she continued to improve that he wanted me to come to his office the next morning and pick up another cocktail that he would mix in an IV for her that would really boost her up.  I agreed to do that.  Then, Hanna took another turn for the worst and I mean really bad, at 11pm, and the sad part was, I couldn't give her any more medication, she had received the max and if we gave any more we'd overdose her and kill her.  She passed away at 2am on Wednesday morning. Cry Cry

My little baby girl is buried beside Taddy.  A blow to my heart like no other has ever dealt me in my life.  Listeria hit my baby girl, and took my little girl in less than 3 days and I don't know why, or where it came from.  My precious, sweetest, loving baby girl is gone.  Cry Cry

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 01:29:58 PM »

Could it have been a snake or spider bite?  With all the wet and flooding it can drive critters up to dry ground that wouldn't normally be there.  What an awful and scary thing to go through. Again I am so sorry Cry

Sounds like your vet is a caring and compassionate man.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 05:06:50 AM »

No, her symptoms as she went down showed the Listeria.  The body temp, spiked and that told the tall tale after that.  I lost Socks to listeria, years and years ago, and long before I knew any thing about Polio or Listeria.  I figured out what caused hers, but with Hanna, I haven't.

Thank you for your condolences...and yes, my new Vet is a very kind man. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

You didn't .  There was nothing more on it anyways.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: