HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 10:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  drought
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: drought  (Read 1009 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »

Yeah no shows are a pain. Ive had em ding around; one regular customer wanted a young wether for the agreed $150. a good month passed before he finally picked him up. Finally told him, "Hey look that was weaning price, you wait longer & you pay more."
He was one of our Hispanic lawn guys who always told me to make mexicans pay hahaha.

One gal paid for a young buck up front. A couple weeks past pick up date (she had to finish getting pen built) I emailed her. "As of a week from now it's $2 a day room & board."
She got her rear in gear. Smiley
Years ago someone put down a deposit on a young doe. Many unreturned calls later I gave up. I went to a fair & someone asked me if I had any Nubians.
She came like the next day. Saw, liked, paid & loaded. Another breeder had sold her pick out from under her for whatever reason.
One year I called all past customers announcing I had some ready to go. No returned calls; we loaded em up for sale barn & they started calling the day after. Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 05:31:57 AM »

I wouldn't take deposits.  Unless it was a matched breeding that a good customer wanted me to do, and then they paid for the kids before the kids were even "kids" so to speak.  If my customer wanted Doe "X" put with Buck "Y", then they had to pay for that up front.  It might have been a breeding that was out of this world wonderful, or a breeding that I wouldn't have put that specific buck with that specific doe...so they had to pay for them "sight unseen".  If the doe aborted (which never did), then the agreement was I gave the money back.  If they paid for twins and she had a single, I gave half the money back.  If she had trips and they paid for twins, they owed me money and couldn't take the kids until it was paid for.  If the doe had bucks and no doelings, too bad...if she had doelings and he wanted bucklings, too bad.  UNLESS...it was a breeding that "I" really wanted the kids out of too!!! hahha.  You wouldn't believe how many people did that.  Which most the time, I would have done that breeding any way. haha.

But as far as taking deposits or holding a goat kid for someone...I did that once...NEVER did it again.  I use to sell to 4H kids, not any more.  I would tell them, you come back and look at them when they are old enough to leave, and pay for them then and take them right then...otherwise, I don't hold a goat for no one any more.  Their "word", isn't good enough for me.  Sounds hateful huh?  Being lied to, isn't a upstanding trait either. hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 09:12:58 AM »

I had a twin pair of 99+ % does, sold out from me to a higher bidder, after waiting for two years for this mating.  Someone offered more money as I was to pick up after weaning. She would not take a deposit, and I will want a written contract for the agreement, to wait for this again.  Deposit or not, I want it in writing, as these quality does are not cheap.  I did not lose money, only if you do not see the future breedings of my herd of Kiko's. I lost a year of breeding in my registered herd, which set me back more than the price of the twin Kiko's.
  I understand Pam's thinking as people are unpredictable in their moral values into what their WORD means!!
I guess that I would state that the deposit was not refundable, if they changed their mind.  My deposit request would depend upon the quality of the mating, as several usually wait for excellent matings of % does.
It always depends upon the situation!!  Just my little opinion-----
  A proper deposit will help offset the expense, and if aborted, or kids died, I would refund the deposit: however, I would not lie to you in order to make more money, as your word should be your bond!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »

Up here, deposits are non-refundable and a binding sale (unless something happens to the animal). If they want that kid/doe/buck, they are going to have to pay me $50.00 to hold it for them or it can go to whoever gets here first. Cash only, no checks unless I know the person.

I will post the breedings on my farm page. If someone wants a kid from those, same applies, to be picked up on day 3 of life unless other arrangements are made to keep the kid on mom. I plan on pulling all kids this season that will be used for dairy. Any bucks not worthy of being bucks will be banded and stay on mom until fall. After they are born, I will post their pics with the sale price. By that time, they will already be bottle kids and a deadline for pickup will be arranged. Board fees will apply after that date.

People seem unable to keep their word, and since money talks, I will trust the money I have in hand rather than the person.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »

Hey Dragonlair, what state are you in?  I wish I lived closer to some of you breeders for some quality does.
 Does your herd consists of Boers?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 05:57:41 AM »

In Arkansas the law stated that all deposits on livestock animals had to be refunded if the buyer requested it.  No matter what the reason was/is.  A livestock contract is not very binding in that state either.  I went through that with a buck I sold on a contract.  Won't do that again. 

I won't take deposits just for that reason.  However, I don't agree to hold the goat for them either.  It's a first come first serve basis on my goats.  I held a Prima Donna doeling and buckling for 2, 4H kids and they never returned to get the babies.  I taught those babies how to walk on a leash (teaching them "my" way--gentleness and kindness), stand like they do in the ring (my way--gentleness and kindness), and many other things.  My babies were not going to go to kids with rough hands, or meanness towards the goat when they lost patience with them.  They came that first day, they were only 1 week old when they picked them out.  I told them to come to the farm when they wanted to, play with them, work with them, get to know them, and when the babies were old enough, they could pay for them and go home with them.  They never came one single day, and when the kids turned 4 months old, I called them and they said "You never called us, so we bought from someone else"...I repeated the agreement to them, and they said, "we bought the ones they need, so we won't need your babies"...I told her to never beckon my door way again for any goat ever again.  I won't mess with 4H dealings again.  But I will say, my two babies were extra special to the new buyer...and they bought both of them. heehee. So it worked out fine. 

I am a person of my word, always have been.  If you're not a person of your word, you're worth nothing.  Money talks, for sure it does...however, in the three states I've lived in, you gotta give the deposits back.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

I usually ask for 1/2 of the purchase price if I am going to hold for someone.  The last 2 years one lady has bought all my doelings .  The first year she sent 1/2 the amount and this year she paid in full and I had them for another month.  I will take a check but the kid won't go until it has verified clear.  I prefer cash.  I will refund the full amount if for some reason they can't purchase.  What I also hate is people who don't show up.  One year I had a buckling that I had held for this lady.  He was a nice,  all red , big boy.  I did keep him advertised.  Anyways, the day of pickup came and went.  I called her multiple times and she never got back to me.  After 24 hours, I considered him "back on the market" and called a lady who had expressed interest in him earlier.

She came right away for him.  This other lady finally calls me 4 days later. She had gotten sick while at the fair,  the day she was to pick him up.  That I can understand and sympathize with that and would have held him until she could come.  To not call at all, big mistake, shoot have someone else call me if your too sick.  Funny thing was she seemed so shocked when I said he was gone.  She hadn't put a deposit down.

Dragon.  $ 1.00  a pound is awful. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:27:45 PM by Julie H » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: