HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 08:38:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19433 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Helpful Hints (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Possums in barn
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Possums in barn  (Read 690 times)
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« on: September 11, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »

Ok Ladies, I am being bombarded with possums in barn, as I was setting out poison bait for rats, when I noticed all my buckets of gopher rat poison was being consumed at a regular rate.  I could not understand not seeing any dead rats, and set up my coon trap, and possums each night caught. I have gone thru a bucket of poison bait, and seems no affect on a possum.  What do you use to keep possums out of barn?  I don't leave a dog in barn with poison bait out. I had one dog to die after eating a rat killed per poison bait.  Tired of hauling off possums in a trap.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »

Possums are the best tick killers, why do you want them gone?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 05:23:41 AM »

Though they are not harmful to goats, they are a terrible threat chickens, as they kill them, and horses with the EM diseases they carry.  I don't want them on my farm either.  Dogs can be bitten by them, and Possums can carry rabies. 

I would just keep trapping them, and if you're relocating them, they have to be hauled a good distance away or they'll come right back.  It's apparent that your poisons aren't affecting them at all.  So I'd suggest that you continue to trap them.  Must have been a large family group that got wind of something really good inside your barn.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »

My dogs seem to be the best defense against possums.  I can't keep cat food out on my porch at night for my cat because we have unwelcome eaters coming.  He is in all day so he eats then.  I have seen no evidence of possums in the goat barn, cow barn or horse barn thankfully.  I think it is because we are not near a wooded area as we are mostly open fields.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:59:03 PM »

I don't want my Pyrenees around the possums that are eating my poison bait.  I know the poison will kill a dog, as I had nice English Bulldog eat a rat that was poisoned, and he hemorrhaged internally, and died. 
 I did some research about the possums, and found they will not poison, as their systems will reject even a rattlesnake bite.  I was wondering as they had eaten almost a bucket of poison bait.
 I have transferred 3 so far, and still catching the little devils.  Yes, their waste can carry disease, and if urinating/craping on the hay, the goats will not eat it.  They also seek water, and my goats will not drink where they have been.  I did see that it was recommended to spread some moth balls or ammonia, as they do not like the odor.
 It looks like to spend gas money carry them a few miles away, or spend a few cents on a lead bullet.
  I also am having trouble with my two bucks bending my metal gate almost in half.  What is best bull gate to buy? 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 05:13:09 AM »

I don't know what kind of "bull" gate I've got here, but it's pretty darn awesome.  They pound the crap out of it and haven't hurt it yet.  It weighs a ton, took three of us to put it on the hinges.  I had my farm store order it for me.  Man it's a heavy thing.  Run a hot wire across that gate...that will stop them from pounding on it.

And I agree...a bullet is cheaper than fuel costs.  Moth balls do work.  I've tried them before.  Snakes hate them, as it's like acid to a snake.  Cats hate them, and will stay clear of them.  But goats and chickens, it doesn't bother them, so make sure you keep them where the goats and chickens won't get to them.  Otherwise, I had those things all over my barn (tack room/feed room areas).

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »

Yeah a bullet is better than poisen any day.
We had one just the other day. Dep bloodied it up good but when I got the shovel to bury it it was still alive. Eww.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »

They are hideous.  I looked out on my porch one evening and there was one eating my cat's food.  Scared the heck out of me.  It just looked up at me and kept eating.  My dogs took care of it soon after.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »

Actually, Opossums can not carry rabies. They have a low body temp, so low that the rabies virus cannot live in them.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »

They are hideous.  I looked out on my porch one evening and there was one eating my cat's food.  Scared the heck out of me.  It just looked up at me and kept eating.  My dogs took care of it soon after.

Hideous is right!
I once saw what I thought was a giant rat in the barn garbage can. I screamed bloody murder which brought Bob out.
"Nan that was a possum."

They also eat slugs & snails.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 05:24:31 AM »

I don't mind them being around...they don't bother me...I just don't like the diseases they carry or the havoc that they put on chickens.  Can't have that happening here.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »

Dragonlair is correct--- The little devils have low body temperature, and low % of rabies, just can carry disease in urine/feces.  My problem with them is that my goats will stay out of barn with them, and will not eat the hay after the "possum trot", or drink the water, which I have in a metal,. 25 gallon container.
  I sprayed some Pyrethrin 10% around the bin that they have been coming into , and no possum this morning.  I don't know how long the scent will keep them out-- 
 A little levity about scent----  I have found that the Cutter company, has a scented, mosquito spray, that my male goats think is a gal in heat!!  I can't bend over, or I am in trouble!  My Genemaster tried to mount me twice yesterday, trying to place a chain around my bent gate, and I had to bend down low to reach, and I had to fight him off.   It seems it is only the Cutter, scented, brand that does this.  I guess the advice I have read about bucks in heat, is " don't turn your back on them!"
 Pam, little Birdie (I named her Birdie after Pam helped me bring her into this world) is maturing into a lovely BoKi doe, and her brother is looking like a nice quarter horse, muscles growing.   I have brought this alone with good feeding of quality nutrients, as only pasture will not define a goat  as well.  You have to feed an athlete to  look like an athlete. Spoiled for sure, and keep refusing to sell her, even knowing I am in close end of looking after them.  I am sure for meat goats only, the well bred BoKi's are the best way to go.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 06:03:07 AM »

That's great news on Birdie and her brother.  I'd sure like to see pictures of them again when you find the time.  I can only imagine how nice they look.  They grow up so fast.

I've never used the Cutter mosquito spray around my goats...I have used it in a pinch though, but typically we buy the "OFF" with deet in it.  Mosquito's are awful bad this year with all this rain we've had...I itch just thinking about going outdoors...you spray before you go any where outdoors now.  Over at our flip house, I got 21 bites in less than 3 minutes out there.  Did I mention, "I HATE MOSQUITO BITES!!!"   Embarrassed laugh

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »

Hey Pam, I think we are just too sweet, as I lump up like a toad, as they eat me alive without the spray.  I will go back to "Off", as the Cutter (scented smell)is not working for me and the bucks.
 I have to purchase an extra heavy duty, 12 foot bull gate today; however, they are only 16 guage, with 2 inch , 6 rows, and I want a 14 guage for extra strength, for these nutty bucks.  I will need more car tires to line against the gate, to make the buck's head bounce off.
 I will send you new pics of the BoKi's, and I am looking for a couple of good does before cashing in on fooling with these fellows. The Boers are great looking goats, but trouble with birthing.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »

Hey Pam, I think we are just too sweet, as I lump up like a toad, as they eat me alive without the spray. 

You sound like my mom.  Mosquitoes come from miles around to feast on her and I am standing right next to her and am not bothered Smiley  I guess I am not sweet enough.  Just as well, I hate using bug spray.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: