HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Helpful Hints (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Possums in barn
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Possums in barn  (Read 731 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 04:11:52 AM »

I read some where, can't remember where, that vanilla scented baby lotion will keep mosquito's off you.  So I bought some.  And yes indeed it did work....UNTIL...the mosquito population got so bad, that it's even hard to find the right repellant that will keep you safe from them.  That Zika Virus is bad stuff and I don't want to risk getting it.  I got two bites on my neck that absolutely sent me into a tizzy...they hurt so bad, and swelled up just terrible.  I couldn't move my neck, I couldn't swallow without it hurting, and I thought for sure I'd been bitten by a bad spider or something worse than a mosquito as painful as it was.  But it wasn't nothing more than a mosquito bite.

My Granddaughters class (2nd graders) did a report on insects.  She reported on mosquitos.  She found that the female mosquito is the one that bites, the males do not.  So I asked her, "is there more females than male mosquito's?" and she says "Guinea I don't know, I didn't research that."  hahahaha.  A second grader now!!  Awesome.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »

Avon Skin So Soft.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »

My mom heard that drier sheets would repel them too.  She went around with those stupid scented things hanging off her while being attacked unmercifully Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:26:20 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »

Julie that didnt work at all for me either.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »

The Avon Skin so Soft is like giving the mosquitos ice cream for me.  It is a pain to be so allergic to the insects, as I am outside a lot.  I should carry some Benadryl with me at all times.

What do you gals think of AI with the does?  I am thinking of trying this method this fall, as I am waiting until Nov. or Dec., to breed again.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 05:15:40 PM »

AI is great, how do you plan to go about it? It is a pretty much how do I say; intense procedure that involves meticulous timing & handling of the entire process.
Are you going to take some classes or hire someone to do it?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 04:16:26 AM »

our experience is limited...however, our neighbor who Hanna and Mercy came from, spent a lot of money doing AI procedures on his goats, as well as the straws themselves he paid a pretty good chunk for.  None, not one of them took.  A lot of money wasted. 

Now, BoCephus, our SA Boer Buck, he was an embryo transfer.  They flushed the Does, Pulled the sperm from the buck, inseminated the embryo and put it into an different Doe for pregnancy and delivery and nursing.  That way they could continue to show the Doe and have her kid raised by a Doe that would not be any thing but the kids mother.  Usually they used a Nubian Doe for the inseminated Doe.  They had great luck with that.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »

A couple of friends use AI with great success.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »

My  current Jersey cow ( and my previous one) have so far taken using AI.  I think the biggest issue with AI on any animal is the timing.  On my cow she tries to mount me. Not enjoyable, but it works for getting her bred Grin

Do you have a wether goat ( or buck)  who you can tease with? Or another method to tell when the does are truly ready to breed?  If not , I wouldn't waste my money.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 04:04:04 AM »

Oh yes, most definitely, cattle, horses, even hogs are way easier to AI than a goat.  I've known more failed attempts at AI'ing than I've known those that took.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: