HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Caprine Health and Information (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  BOSS nutritional values
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: BOSS nutritional values  (Read 1183 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:59 AM »

Nancy, it's ok to differ with how I do things to the way that works for you...there's nothing wrong with that...if it's working good then don't change it.  However, I do have a question for you.  Do you feed grain year round or only during their pregnancy?  And why so many shots of BoSe per year? 

Julie I don't think that's too much.  You may notice that you have to trim feet a little more often.  That's one thing I did notice about feeding grain of any kind is having to trim feet more often.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »

Hehe, I was going to tell Julie that. " If it works don't fix it.

Our whole state is selenium deficient. And I only grain during lactation as well as the first 8 or nine months of a kid's life.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »

Pam and her 5 seeds!!! Yehaw    I  spill more than that when I feed.  It always depends upon the situation-- I feed depending upon how they look--  I only notice a more shin to coats, and I have noticed that I have to bolus copper more than I thought I would.  I always mix with my Noble/B0SS, some Sweetlix to know that they are getting the minerals they need.  My goats will back up and poop right into the mineral holder, and I, like Pam, started to place the mineral with my feed.
 My Kiko buck, has beat my metal gate into a V , and I had to place some log chains across the gate to keep him from getting into the girls.  He seemed to have caught his leg into the fence, and is limping a bid.  He does this every time a gal goes into heat.  I think I will spray the leg with some DMSO .
 Hope this year is a better year for health to all!!   God bless
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »

Julie I don't think that's too much.  You may notice that you have to trim feet a little more often.  That's one thing I did notice about feeding grain of any kind is having to trim feet more often.

I hope it doesn't make the feet grow more!  I already have to trim more than I like since moving farther South.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 06:09:43 AM »

Pam and her 5 seeds!!! Yehaw    I  spill more than that when I feed.  It always depends upon the situation-- I feed depending upon how they look--  I only notice a more shin to coats, and I have noticed that I have to bolus copper more than I thought I would.  I always mix with my Noble/B0SS, some Sweetlix to know that they are getting the minerals they need.  My goats will back up and poop right into the mineral holder, and I, like Pam, started to place the mineral with my feed.
 My Kiko buck, has beat my metal gate into a V , and I had to place some log chains across the gate to keep him from getting into the girls.  He seemed to have caught his leg into the fence, and is limping a bid.  He does this every time a gal goes into heat.  I think I will spray the leg with some DMSO .
 Hope this year is a better year for health to all!!   God bless

Charles I had a buck like that.  Pounded a brand new prefert gate into a V shape.  I was so mad at that buck goat.  He didn't stop it either.  I put bull panels acrossed it, he pounded on it until he broke the prongs.  I put a 3 strand hotwire fence acrossed it and he figured out how to ground it out with his horn and continued to pound it.  Before he was done (and we sold him to slaughter), he had destroyed 2000.00 worth of fencing and gates.  Not to mention he put me in the hospital 2 times, and hurt my Tadpole seriously bad.  When he hurt Tadpole...he had to go...one way or the other that buck had to go.

I hope it doesn't make the feet grow more!  I already have to trim more than I like since moving farther South.

Julie that's what I noticed more than any thing, was the Boers seemed to have more rapid hoof growth with the grain feed.  The Kiko's remained the same, trimmed them once or twice a year...but Arkansas had rocky ground, so that did help the Kiko's some...but the Boers, omg...it was every 6 weeks or less.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:12:34 AM by imalilbirdie » Logged

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »

My Kiko buck, has beat my metal gate into a V , and I had to place some log chains across the gate to keep him from getting into the girls.  He seemed to have caught his leg into the fence, and is limping a bid.  He does this every time a gal goes into heat.  I think I will spray the leg with some DMSO .
 Hope this year is a better year for health to all!!   God bless

Do you have a wether companion for him??  It can help some, but the only Buck approved fencing I ever had was at the one farm where the previous owner had used old guardrail from the highway department.  No animal can beat that Grin
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 04:14:59 AM »

Yep Julie I agree...metal pipe fencing for bucks.  Show Me Boers (the farm that raises very nice Boer goats over in Neosho Missouri), they had pipe fencing with hot wire on top to keep their bucks from fighting through the fence.  It worked great for them.  When we bought BoCephus from them, we put him behind a round pen for horses with No Climb horse fencing attached to it.  We kept him far away from the other boys.  He was close to our house and could see all the other goats, but he could not pound fences that were connected to them.  After what Timmy (our rogue boer buck) did, I wasn't going to give Bo half the chance to do that.  Bo he never pounded any fences.  I was very grateful for that.  He was a good boy.  Taddy, Prince, Roady, Big Red, Casper, Oberon, Thunder, and Rambo, they never pounded fence either.  Until, Prince met Mercy, and the war was on!!!  Oh those two hated one another...absolutely hated one another.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »

I purchased a 3/4 Kiko, 1/4 Spanish wether, to go with my Kiko male, and is now larger, over 200lbs, and is harassed constantly by the Kiko male, that I could shoot him.  He runs the wether off when feed or hay is placed for them to eat, and I have to feed the wether away from him daily.
 The wether does the same to the girls, when I place him in the pasture with them to graze.  I don'lt like the males at all!!
 I have a Gallegher(sp) , electric charger; however, I have not installed due to distance to barn. I am buying a bull gate, with 4x4, panel to go over the gate, and a logging chain across, to hold the male Kiko in---hopefully, or he is going, and the price of hay here is up to $85 a large bale if you can find.  I want to get rid of my wether, my Bore female, and the Kiko buck. I will stay with BoKi male, and female, and get a different buck--maybe-- mainly liking the Savannah breed.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »

I am planning on keeping this new buck, so I will see how things go for me and my fences.  He will be living with my Jersey x Angus heifer and she is well over 600 pounds and used to being with goats so hopefully they can push each other around!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 05:03:19 AM »

Ya know, we had Roady, Prince and Tadpole together...even when they first met one another, they head butted but not like they were going to kill one another.  Prince and Taddy never fought until after Taddy got hurt and then Prince would shove Taddy around a little in the beginning, and then got worse as they got older and Taddy failed in health more.  Even after I wethered Prince and Taddy, Roady never shoved them around or took their food or was mean to them at all.  Prince and Taddy were raised together from birth.  I think that had a lot to do with why they got along so well.  Roady came from a large Kiko farm in Kentucky, and he was always with other bucks, so he just paid no attention to other bucks much at all.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »

I know of others who run their bucks together and never have a problem. I do know they have a big barn area and pasture so maybe the extra space helps.  My one buck was pretty nice to my little Pygmy wether.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »

I have my 3 bucks in a pen together during the warmer months. In the winter they each have their own stalls inside the barn. I have a LaMancha, a Nubian and a Nigerian buck. They all get along pretty well, the occasional sparring match when they are bored.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 06:02:46 AM »

There is always that "ONE" buck that doesn't play so well with others.  Timmy (our boer buck) didn't play well with others at all.  That was the meanest buck I have ever seen in my life.  I've never ever in my entire life time "Hated" an animal.  I might not like them so well, but I've never "hated" them...but when it came to Timmy...I absolutely hated him with all that was inside me. 

One thing I have found though, with not just my Timmy Buck, but with all Boers...if a Boer buck wants to fight another buck, and I mean really fight them, they won't stop at nothing until that other buck is dead.  I've seen this in Timmy and many, many other Boer Bucks that didn't belong to me.  Once that get that wild wide eye look, they are possessed and demons.  That's why I got out of Boers.  BoCephus wasn't give the chance to be mean.  He was kept alone in a very very strong pen.  He was played with daily (several times a day in fact), and lived just 50 feet out the door of our house so he could always be a part of what was going on.  But I never gave him a chance to be mean.  He was a good boy...he loved my grand daughter to pieces and she loved him just as much.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

I found that same aggression when I put another mature buck in with the one I mentioned above.  I had to separate them immediately .  Strange he seemed to like the wether but he did get to know him when they were all in with the girls.  Guess it helped.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

Well, today, we got the goats trimmed, shots, tattoos, and ole Onyx (KIko), did quite well, after tackling him, wrapping rope around his legs, and rolled him onto his back, where he became quite placid in nature. The main problem was with the 2 year old, BoKi male, who is built like a quarter horse, pulled the 200+ helper down, jumped up and over the water container, and could not be cornered.  I will get him later with some help from Vet to come him down.  He is quite calm until the stranger came into his pin with a rope, and here he went into "don't touch me" mode. He is so strong, I told the helper to let him go until another day.  I can walk up to him any time of day to pet him with no problem.  My goats are better watch dogs, than my Pyrenees dogs. They hear better in my opinion.  I got my grown BoKi female, ready to register with ear tag and tattoos.  There was a little blood coming from right front foot of male goat, and I gave 2.5cc of Biomycin SQ, and it may have been too little, as I see now that larger doses are used for goats, and I was thinking of 1cc per 100lbs.  Gotta rub down with some ole DMSO for joints as pulling down goats is not for ole farts like me!!  Off to showers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: