HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 05:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihandwcm

Stats
19273 Posts in 1376 Topics by 718 Members
Latest Member: Mwtink
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Helpful Hints (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Pick up all hay strings
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Pick up all hay strings  (Read 376 times)
papac
Bottle Babies

« on: December 03, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »

About a month ago, one of our young does came into the lot limping on her back foot. We checked her and found a cut over her back outside toe. We doctored her and thought it would heal. Kept checking her and she got better for a while, then started limping again. Checked her again and found a small piece of hay string, leftover from a round bale. imbedded in the cut and it wouldn't pull out. Ended up taking her to vet to get it removed. She is doing much better now, but check your feed areas for any loose pieces of string.  Note to self. Expensive mistake, lesson learned.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »

Sorry this happened to your doe, good reminder about hay twine, thanks Papac!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »

Animals (horses, goats, sheep, cattle) will also ingest the twine accidentally which will damage their digestive tract, sometimes fatally. I try to keep it far away form the critters, but my son used to cut the strings on the big bales and leave it on the bale when he would feed out for me. I am finding it buried in the mud still, even after several years. I pull it out when I find it and toss it in the wood stove.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »

PapaC, so sorry to hear that about your Doe.  We try to be so careful and things like this sneaks in on us, no matter how careful we are.

We cut and pull the strings before we put them in the hay racks here.  We also remove the outside layer of the large hay bale.  We remove all the black area of the bottom of the bale that was sitting on the ground.  We haul all that to the compost pile and the hay string to the burn barrel.  It's a chore within itself when you're feeding a lot of animals.

I do hope your Doe heals quick.  Thanks for the reminder.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: