HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 11:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihandwcm

Stats
19337 Posts in 1378 Topics by 719 Members
Latest Member: TrishR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  He doesn't like redheads
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: He doesn't like redheads  (Read 536 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: December 12, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »

My new Boer buck seems to have an intense dislike to my 3 does who are a solid red girls( sorrel color if they were a horse).   He seemed fine when 2 of them were in heat ( never saw #3 come in).  He isn't hurting them but they know he doesn't like them and frantically get away whenever he comes near.  I have never had this happen. He is fine with any other solids I have.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:15:30 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:29:48 AM »

Hmmm??  Never heard of a buck not liking a certain color before.  Interesting.  Tell me, where in the chain of command do these girls fall?  I most certainly wouldn't allow him to hurt them for sure.  If they run frantically away from him, then he's put a hurting on them that they haven't forgotten.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »

One of them is the herd queens daughter and she is left alone because of that ( he loves the queen, follows her everywhere).

One is in the middle pecking order( nobody bothers her)  and she is a stout girl with a pretty intense attitude and he bothers her the least.

One is my 1/4 Nubian and I have no siblings or buddies for her anymore  Cry ( she had aunt Emily to buddy with last year, but she died)  So she is a loner of sorts and he seems most intent on her.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:38:40 AM »

If his intentions are cruel, that would have to stop.  He would have to be removed from their company.  Those bucks can be vicious when they want to be and corner one of them, where they can't get away, he would really hurt one of them.  I only leave my bucks in long enough to breed all the girls and then he's removed.  Bucks not only can be viciously mean to the girls, but they can get rather snotty and mean to you as well.  I don't trust a Boer Buck as far as I can throw them.  After ending up in the hospital twice by a boer buck, and the damages he did to fencing and then to Tadpole...nope, I don't give much leeway to a buck any more.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:31:22 PM »

Well now he has changed his tune and seems fine ?  These goats they always keep you guessing   Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:22:45 AM »

Well I am glad to hear that.  Be careful around any buck...never, completely trust them. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »

My Boer bucks were sweethearts, as has all my standard dairy bucks. However, that Nigerian Dwarf buck I have is one nasty little puke. I was cleaning his pen last month. He reared back and slammed head first into the brand new hickory handle on my manure fork, snapping it like a twig. Then he attacked again and slammed into the hardwood pallet, shattering that like it was nothing. If I had been in that pen, those would have been my knees. I couldn't let him get away with it, so I grabbed the closest thing I had- a shovel, and clobbered him with it. He attacked back. So did I. I won. He has been good since them but.........

I used to work at a place as an apprentice trainer. They had a gorgeous Appaloosa Stallion who LOVED Palomino mares but would not breed bays! He wasn't mean tot hem, he just ignored them!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 05:15:09 AM »

I do have to say that my only issue was with one Boer Buck.  BoCephus, (our next boer buck) was as sweet as pie.  Taddy, Prince, Oberon, Thunder, Rambo, and Roady were all sweet as pie.  None of them ever attacked me.  Timmy when he went rogue on me, he really went rogue, I think he lost his flipping mind.  He beat on a tree so hard that he put a huge dent in it...I have a picture of him facing that tree after he had a go at that tree.  Nothing would stop him from beating on something, or someone.  Two trips to the ER after I took two beatings from him, made me hate him...but I wanted him dead after he hurt Tadpole as bad as he did.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »

My Boer bucks were sweethearts, as has all my standard dairy bucks. However, that Nigerian Dwarf buck I have is one nasty little puke. I was cleaning his pen last month. He reared back and slammed head first into the brand new hickory handle on my manure fork, snapping it like a twig. Then he attacked again and slammed into the hardwood pallet, shattering that like it was nothing. If I had been in that pen, those would have been my knees. I couldn't let him get away with it, so I grabbed the closest thing I had- a shovel, and clobbered him with it. He attacked back. So did I. I won. He has been good since them but.........

I used to work at a place as an apprentice trainer. They had a gorgeous Appaloosa Stallion who LOVED Palomino mares but would not breed bays! He wasn't mean tot hem, he just ignored them!

All my bucks have been sweethearts too.  The only issue I have ever had is with my first buck.  He was in to breed the girls and he went after me.  I should have been paying closer attention to the signs he was probably giving.  Thankfully my husband was there and I was able to get out unharmed.  He never did anything again, but it sure made me much more observant especially during rut.

I think the sweetest and most gentle boy I had was Boo, a pygmy buck.  Even when he was breeding he was just so nice.....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:47:20 PM by Julie H » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: