HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:06:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Caprine Health and Information (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Mixing my own feed is cheaper
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Mixing my own feed is cheaper  (Read 275 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: December 29, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »

Hi everyone !

Since moving back to MO almost 2 1/2 years ago I went with a 12% bagged sweet feed to feed all my goats, 2 cows and my horses.  They liked it and seemed to do well on it.  I did this in part because the price of Corn, Oats and Soybean Meal that I used to buy , to use in my own mix had skyrocketed in price and well,  I think I got lazy   Embarrassed

About 2 months ago I decided to go back to mixing my own feed again.  The cost to fill my 3 barrels was a bit painful and then buying the dry molasses, Alfalfa pellets and calcium ( in my chicken feed) only added to that pain.  Once all done though,  I find I spend way less ( 1/2 of what I was)  and go to the feed store every 3-4 weeks instead of every 2.

The biggest thing is,  I am feeding MORE than I was and the goats are doing BETTER on what I mix.

4 parts Cracked Corn

1 1/2 parts Whole Oats

1 1/2 parts Soybean Meal

Add Alfalfa Pellets and Dried Molasses to your liking.

I keep salt, baking soda , free choice minerals, and a 20% goat protein block out at all times so I do not add minerals to my mix.  I had previously used Ferrell Minerals and that is like 1/2 of a pound per 50 pound batch.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:24:30 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »

I sort of mix my own feed, kind of anyway. I buy premade feed (Blue Seal Dairy Goat Pellet), mix it with whole native oats, alfalfa pellets, soaked beet pulp, rice bran meal and, when dry, Blue ManeMenu textured horse feed. In the winter I add hay replacer pellets, also.  We don't have mills up here, nor can you get much in the way of locally grown grains, except oats. Soybeans in any form are impossible.

I wish I could have access to a mill with a variety of grains, because yes, making your own feeds is much cheaper and you know your animals needs better than a 1 feed fits all company.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:21:18 AM »

Julie I sure wish you were close to Bethlehem feed mill over in Bethlehem Missouri.  That's where I had our feed mix at, and it was a 1/4th the price of premixed feeds and mixing my mix was 18 to 20% protein.  I think the last I bought over there it was 7.50 per 50lbs, with a minimum of 1000lbs on the mix.  We always had 3000 to 4000 pounds mixed at a time.  Of course we were feeding lots more animals...103 head of goats, 8 cow/calves that got fed twice daily and 17 head of fat calves, 2 to 4 hogs (depending on how many buyers we had for slaughter pork), 25 head of chickens (which only got the feed as a treat, it made them way too fat), and at one point 7 head of horses but at the end, just 2 head.  Our feed went us a good long while, about a month or little longer...depended on the time of year.  We never ever creep fed any thing after that first year (what a waste of good money...lol).  I always add calcium to all my feed, vitamin AD&E is a must, and small amount of Selenium.

Yep it was much MUCH cheaper to have my feed mixed than to buy premixed feeds.

Better quality of grains, means a great deal when feeding livestock.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »

I think they do better and gain weight better with more corn and oats in the ration, at least mine do.

Dragon--  Are there no crops grown anywhere near you?  I don't think I have ever lived anywhere ( well except CA)  where I couldn't get grains separate and bagged.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:25:01 PM »

Nope. Oats are grown up in "The County" Way up north, but most of Maine is no longer farm country.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:47:26 AM »

That's a shame Deb.  Farm lands are disappearing all over every where.  Cry

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: