HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 06:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19684 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  My Billy is in Rut
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: My Billy is in Rut  (Read 144 times)
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« on: October 31, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »

Great!!!!  SO now I have a 3 year old 300lb love bug Billy.  My does are all bred - I have been advertising his service to no avail - so he has turned his "affection" toward me - not like "humping" wise, but sniffing and "rubbing" his horns on me.  my stable is constructed mostly out of skids or pallets including the gates and thank goodness, last evening I had to find shelter behind one of the gates like a rodeo clown until something else caught his attention.  I foolishly went in the pasture to mend a spot of electric fence without my equalizer - a metal pipe that I hit along side the building.  (I don't hit him because in my experience, that makes him more determined to be the stronger of the 2 of us and I don't want to foster aggressive behaviors).  I finally got him into a pen - not the one I want to house him in permanently because I need to address a leaking roof in there and I want to make a more substantial exercise yard for him.  Right now I am house 3 of his doe offspring for my son and I don't want him to get to them - they are about 5 months old now and haven't shown any signs of coming in heat so far...I think I may need to find him another home.  I really don't want to, but my 4 does aren't enough lovin' for him and I don't seem to be able to foster interest in breeding serviced for the multitude of other goat farms in my area.  Sad, I love him but I am getting too old for the rodeo routine.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:52:29 PM »

That is why I sell my buck as soon as all does are bred.  I would rather find one when I need him as opposed to housing one all year long.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:03:16 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:39:29 PM »

Bucks rubbing on you is a huge no no. If I have to work around either of my bucks I take a hot shot with me.
The know what it is & what GET BACK means when I point it shoulder height & let him walk into it  When I do point it at him he rears up & gets mouthy but backs off.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »

Bucks can be unruly for sure.  Some can get down right mean.  All our bucks were good boys except one....and he was massively mean.  I didn't send him to auction off for a stud buck, he went to slaughter.  He was too mean to chance someone else getting hurt by him.  But that's not bad odds...one rogue buck out of 9 bucks...not a bad average actually.

Rut makes them do some really stupid things.  I don't mind the face rubbing, though it stinks to high heaven, I don't think they mean any thing by it.  Just a good face rubbing on a soft body.  Ours did it all the time, including our wethers.  Our Rogue buck, he didn't take the time to rub a face, he backed up when your back was turned and beat the living day lights out of you from behind...you didn't stand a chance.  Like NancyD, when I went in with him, I went in with a Cattle prod and he got zapped if he got near me.  But I will tell you now...NancyD take heed to this warning...eventually, those cattle prods will only make them meaner.  That's exactly what happened to us, and when he did get meaner, it was devastating.  That's when he went to slaughter.

If you don't have him far enough away from the girls, he will break out of your enclosure and get back with the girls (or most do any way).  Our buck destroyed a brand new prefeirt gate within a days time.  Then he destroyed 2000.00 worth of fencing...he was the worst buck I believe God ever created.

Be careful out there you all.  One that can't be trusted, needs to leave the farm.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:24:03 AM »

The answer to bucks in rut, and damage to the gates, is obtain some old, no good, car tires and fasten upright on your gates, and they are like a shock absorbing the blows.  Works for me, after my two bucks flattened my 10 ft gate.  It is best to always have a space between the bucks, and not just a single fence.   My one BoKi buck, will always rub the side of his head on my pants.  He loves the smell of the bug spray I use in summer.  Just give me the quality does every time.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »

Both bucks have been zapped a total of three times. maybe four on Cal. He no longer threaten me at all,
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »

When I did keep a buck my youngest son ( 15)  would routinely go in with him, pin him to the ground with legs in the air and quickly let him up.   He wasn't being mean he was just in his own way establishing dominance over the 350 pound monster.

I would holler at him to stop doing that ( he didn't  Angry    )  but I have to tell you that not only was the buck still extremely friendly, he was extremely respectful of both of us and a pleasure to be around. 100% conception rate too!.

Now I don't recommend anyone try this at home, but there must be something to it?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:13:57 PM by Julie H » Logged
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »

When I had ND bucks, I would take them down and pin them until they didn't resist any longer - I didn't want to do that to this guy, because I wanted him to be established as herd sire.  I have a pipe I carry and bang on the wooden fence or enclosure wall - I don't hit him I was concerned that would make him more persistent to be the dominator!  I have found that a squirt bottle of water seems to dissuade him and doesn't really seem to make him angry.

I have him in a pen - alone, and actually he has settled quite a bit - he hasn't been trying to break out, it's like the testosterone makes him crazy when he's running with the does, but penning him seems to allow him to settle. 

I really love him so much, and when he is not in rut, he is quite docile.  All of my does are bred, and I have been advertising him breeding service to no avail - sad that I can't entice anyone to try him because he throws multiples and does predominantly - always very healthy kids.  Sadly I have him listed for sale as well, I have had a few inquiries - but no real offers.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »

If you could hold him until the spring...then you'd probably find he'd sell really well.  It's this holiday thing and folks having their bucks established already and their herds are settled for the winter...but come Feb/March, the buyers will be shopping again, because they have this awesome baby doeling born and they just have to have a new buck to breed her to.   Wink laugh

~ Birdie ~
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »

OK!  Thanks Birdie - I suppose it wasn't a well thought out decision for me to  get him in the first place (although I fell in love with his disposition and conformation) - I truly thought I would have more success offering his services, but alas, no takers.

He isn't so aggressive that I can't at least winter him at my place - and generally speaking he is very docile, but he has about 6 weeks in the spring and 6 more in the fall where he is in obvious rut and very pushy with me - he doesn't give my husband or grandson any trouble at all but sadly lately I have no helpers... I am sure if I had a larger heard of does he wouldn't be so bad, but I am pretty sure the 'ole hubster' won't accept that as a good excuse for me to go buy more goats! Grin

I notice as I get older I can't take the bumps like I used to and the bruises hurt forever!   Cry
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »

Boy do I hear you on that.  Went for a CT w/contrast of my heart yesterday....went last week for the CT w/contrast of my corodid arteries (all went very well last week)...but yesterday...veins were blowing up, heart rate at 120, felt dizzy and faint when the veins started blowing up...after 3 attempts they went and got my doctor and his nurse...left without having the CT scan, and given a big dose of Nitro...DRATS MY ARMS HURT, and Nitro, causes a nasty headache.  Told to go home and rest and not do any thing.  Yeah right.  hahaha.  Yep, I can't take those blows like I use to.  Ticks me off too, because I can do what needs doing, but my body can't take being beaten up anymore.  laugh

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: