HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tell me about ducks
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Tell me about ducks  (Read 310 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »

A friend needs to part with her ducks. I think they are Indian Runners. Anyway I just don't remember much about the care of ducks.
Do they seek shelter at sundown? Or will I have to herd them in?
No worries they will NOT be in with goats. No yuckey duckie doo in their water.
Thanks in advance.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »

We had ducks when I was a kid and a good friend from church has had ducks for a long, long time so I will tell you what little I know.

We kept our ducks in a large dirt run  with shelter and it was 100% enclosed in chicken wire, so I have no idea what they did at night.

My friend on the other hand has them out in one of her pastures with a pond.  They have a pump that keeps the water stirred up so the pond never freezes because that is the ducks only escape from the foxes and other predators.  They have a barn area if they want it but they seem to prefer to be " out" all the time day and night and find shelter in the wooded areas where the foliage and brush is dense.

She looses a lot of babies every year when they can't get to the water in time.......  She used to keep a LGD in there when they had sheep.  The seemed to help a lot.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »

I forgot to add our ducks had a kiddie wading pool  Grin  And another friend from church has geese and they let them out during the day but put them in at night and they have to " put them in" they don't go in like chickens.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:08:07 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

My ducks lived with the chickens, so they followed the chickens in at night. I never had them by themselves, so don't know if they would go inside or not.

Those Indian Runners are the funniest ducks, I love watching them walk!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:55:30 AM »

All the ducks I've ever seen have to be put in at night, if you want them to stay "safe" so to speak.  Coons are a terrible predator to ducks.  If your coon population is under control, think twice...where there is a duck or a free range chicken, coons and possiums will be there shortly.  I'd get them if they were offered to me for sure.  But I'd build a lean-to with a small fence around it that will protect them at night.  Daytime, hawks aren't so bad for adult ducks, but baby ducks are terrorized and killed by hawks as well.  I do believe that ducks require a different feed than what chickens get, so check into that as well.  I've wanted ducks for a long time.  If you don't have a pond, you'll need a large kiddie pool, because they do need water.  Ducks are vegetation eaters, and they'll clean a pond bank up real quick.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »

They were delivered the other day, 1 Rowen, I Blue Runner & 2 Buff Orpington. I think the only male is the Blue Runner.
They were happy to get out of their crate as soon as I finished their pen.
You all should have been here as I battled with about 40 feet of rolled up field fence. I didn't want to cut it So it kept rolling itself back on me.
Anyway it was thrown together with zip ties & I only had to add 2 T post cause of existing ones.
The guy didn't bring the kiddie pool but I found a large kitty box for now.
They brought a bag of what says is scratch & peck stuff so I'm assuming I need something in addition.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »

Oh man, those are some pretty ducks...especially the blue runner.  I would assume you'd want to keep them on what he brought.  I envy you, I've been wanting ducks for a long time.  Bet you're getting all kinds of entertainment out of them.  I love how they quack and talk.

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »

The only thing I can say about ducks is that if they can get to your garden they will devour it. That is what my neighbors ducks did to my garden also when I had ducks years ago they preferred to poop on my front porch. So ducks are not my favorite animals.

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »

The only thing I can say about ducks is that if they can get to your garden they will devour it. That is what my neighbors ducks did to my garden also when I had ducks years ago they preferred to poop on my front porch. So ducks are not my favorite animals.

I can see why  Grin Grin Grin Grin
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »

They sure are a hoot though. But pretty soon I need to move them as right now they are uphill from the goat pen.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 04:24:23 AM »

Can't say as they'd be my favorite animals after that as well. 

But I do agree, they are a hoot in their proper environment.  The ones I know have always had ponds, so they typically stayed at the pond.  I do remember my Daddies geese though, now those things, they can get down right mean...I remember as a kid being flogged by them and knocking me down.  Daddy took care of those ones that would do that real quick.  I'd love to have some ducks on my pond.  Hubby bought chickens instead. hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
ilroost
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »

Muscovies are the only ducks I ever had. Kept them with the chickens. Them things would never go in at night. I used to chase them around and around trying to get them in.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »

They don't need water to swim in if you don't have it, just some to drink. They do make a mess with their drinking water, I couldn't keep water in the coop like I do with just the chickens, the ducks would make a swamp out of the coop within minutes! They also caused me to have to change the water like every hour or so because they made such a mess. I finally just separated the ducks from the chickens and things were much nicer for my layers.

I had Khaki Campbells, they are used for egg laying. I love duck eggs. I'd like to get a few again someday.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: